True WPS applications, is N/Joy the only one?

Ronald Jones

Jun 12, 1992, 3:50:59 PM6/12/92

As far as I've been able to tell N/Joy by Vienna Software is the only
application written specifically for the Workplace Shell. Anyone know
anything about this program. What's it used for?
--
< Ron Jones | E-mail: r...@osu.edu >
< The Ohio State University | Office: (614) 292-1665 >

Timothy F. Sipples

Jun 12, 1992, 5:37:20 PM6/12/92
In article <1992Jun12....@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> rjo...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ronald Jones) writes:
>As far as I've been able to tell N/Joy by Vienna Software is the only
>application written specifically for the Workplace Shell. Anyone know
>anything about this program. What's it used for?

A fascinating application which I got a brief glimpse of at Comdex.
Call Vienna Software Publishing in Boca Raton, Florida, for a
brochure. (If anyone manages to get a demo diskette I think this
would be an excellent addition to hobbes.)

N/Joy is an integrated application (spreadsheet, word processor,
graphics, etc) with full links between each of the modules using the
Workplace Shell's SOM. Sort of like OLE on steroids. :-) The
metaphor for N/Joy is the typical office, with filing cabinets, a
trash can, etc. You can drag and drop all over the place: drag your
spreadsheet to your word processing document, for example. Everything
is linked; everything updates automatically. And these data can be on
a network or local.

N/Joy retails for $695, but I'm sure they have academic discounts and
"street" pricing from dealers. It is available NOW.

But it isn't the only Workplace Shell application. The latest version
of DeScribe integrates well with the Workplace Shell, for example.
--
Get the OS/2 FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS LIST | Timothy F. Sipples
from 128.123.35.151, anonymous ftp, | Internet: si...@ellis.uchicago.edu

Michael Cadek

Jun 15, 1992, 8:55:08 AM6/15/92

A friend of mine works in the development team for N/Joy at the
Viennese site of Vienna Software Publishing and, thus, I know something
about this product.

N/Joy is a kind of business software simulating a desktop (trash, copier,
a dog for searching things, etc.). The user interface has been object-oriented
from the first release on (for OS/2 1.2, I think).

N/Joy consists of a database, a word-processor and a spread-sheet.
There is also the possibility to create "links" between database objects
and spread-sheet objects, etc.

You can organize your files and objects with the help of folders.

That's all I know, so, if you are interested in this product I can fax
you some material.

Michael Cadek from good old Vienna in good old Austria in good old Europe.
E-mail: Michae...@rcvie.co.at
FAX: +43-1-68 68 89

gol...@mbcl.rutgers.edu

Jun 15, 1992, 9:00:04 AM6/15/92
In article <1992Jun12.2...@midway.uchicago.edu>, si...@ellis.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) writes:
> In article <1992Jun12....@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> rjo...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ronald Jones) writes:
>>As far as I've been able to tell N/Joy by Vienna Software is the only
>>application written specifically for the Workplace Shell. Anyone know
>>anything about this program. What's it used for?
>
> A fascinating application which I got a brief glimpse of at Comdex.
> Call Vienna Software Publishing in Boca Raton, Florida, for a
> brochure. (If anyone manages to get a demo diskette I think this
> would be an excellent addition to hobbes.)
>
> N/Joy is an integrated application (spreadsheet, word processor,
> graphics, etc) with full links between each of the modules using the
> Workplace Shell's SOM. Sort of like OLE on steroids. :-) The
> metaphor for N/Joy is the typical office, with filing cabinets, a
> trash can, etc. You can drag and drop all over the place: drag your
> spreadsheet to your word processing document, for example. Everything
> is linked; everything updates automatically. And these data can be on
> a network or local.
>
> N/Joy retails for $695, but I'm sure they have academic discounts and
> "street" pricing from dealers. It is available NOW.
N/Joy is available now at the introductory price of $295. You can also
get a demo version for ca $100. Having talked to Killinger @Vienna Software,
they don't have any academic pricing yet. They seem nice but they don't
seem to have a handle on what they need to do to sell into the academic/inet
market.

The program got a less than stellar review in PC week.

Adrian

--
Adrian Goldman | Internet: Gol...@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory | Bitnet: Goldman@BioVAX

Michael Cadek

Jun 17, 1992, 11:34:39 AM6/17/92
Here are the addresses of the Viennese software company
"Vienna Publishing Software" (N/Joy):

AUSTRIA:
Vienna Software Publishing GesmbH (head quarter)
Darnautgasse 13
A-1120 Wien
Tel: +43 1 815 3626-0
fax: +43 1 815 3626-37

USA: Vienna Software Publishing Inc.
1398 S.W. 15th St.
Boca Raton, FL 33486
Tel. & Fax: 407 392 7724

Netherlands:
Vienna Software Pubishing BV
Schoollaan 5, NL-8387 GL Boschoord
Tel: +31 5612 1645
Fax: +31 5612 1938

Michael Cadek (I'm not working at VSP...)