SMDR and SMDR31X

1 view

Derek Mangrum

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
Hello. I was hoping that someone could help me with two things.

TSA312.NLM autoloads SMDR.NLM

SBACKUP.NLM attemps to autoload SMDR31X.NLM

I get this error message saying that variables are already defined and
SMDR31X.NLM does not load.

Is this a huge problem? It seems like I would want to SMDR.NLM since it has
a newer date. Is this correct?

Second, My two 3.12 file servers are still running the out-of-the-box
Netware. I have not applied any of the patches. Mainly because I am not sure
how to. I know that I am severely under-educated and should not be in charge
of two 3.12 file servers, but I am. (We are an educational institution, so
money it tight. We can't afford to hire a 'pro'). I have been trying to pick
up as much as I can, but clear patch application instructions have thus far
eluded me. If someone could point me to a good, practical resource, I would
appreciate it! Thank you.

Derek Mangrum
Pacific Christian College
DMan...@gnn.com

RBall84213

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
In article <4ino5g$6...@news-e2b.gnn.com>,
DMAN...@gnn.com (Derek Mangrum) writes:

>Second, My two 3.12 file servers are still running the out-of-the-box
>Netware. I have not applied any of the patches. Mainly because I am not
sure
>how to. I know that I am severely under-educated and should not be in
charge
>of two 3.12 file servers, but I am. (We are an educational institution,
so
>money it tight. We can't afford to hire a 'pro'). I have been trying to
pick
>up as much as I can, but clear patch application instructions have thus
far
>eluded me. If someone could point me to a good, practical resource, I
would
>appreciate it! Thank you.

Go to ftp site ftp.novell.com under directory
/pub/updates/nwos/nw410 and download file patlst.txt. This
document lists the minimum patch configuration recommended
by Novell for NW 3.X or 4.X systems running NETX or VLMs.
You can download most of the recommended files from directory
/pub/updates/nwos/nw312 (in your case). If any files are not
available, try going to WWW site
http://netwire.novell.com/home/server/server/fil_pat.htm
(the two servers in the line is not a typo) and pick the "Search"
link. You can specify your required files and the server will
locate the TID for you which includes a link to download the file.
I needed both the ftp site and the search site to download all of
my required files.

Each downloaded file is self-extracting and includes installation
instructions.

HTH. Rich Ballard

O Lord, grant that we may always be right,
For Thou knowest we will never change our minds.
-Old Scottish Prayer

Edwin Cleton

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
Quoting from: DMAN...@gnn.com (Derek Mangrum)

> Hello. I was hoping that someone could help me with two things.

> TSA312.NLM autoloads SMDR.NLM

> SBACKUP.NLM attemps to autoload SMDR31X.NLM

> I get this error message saying that variables are already defined and
> SMDR31X.NLM does not load.

Add a line that loads either one of the smdr's before tsa/sbackup.

> Is this a huge problem? It seems like I would want to SMDR.NLM since it has
> a newer date. Is this correct?

You need the latest smdr in libup7, see below.

> Second, My two 3.12 file servers are still running the out-of-the-box

85% of the world runs like that.

> Netware. I have not applied any of the patches. Mainly because I am not sur

> how to. I know that I am severely under-educated and should not be in charg

> of two 3.12 file servers, but I am. (We are an educational institution, so
> money it tight. We can't afford to hire a 'pro'). I have been trying to pic

No of course not, you can surely waste your money on meetings, trowing
in students who barely know the meaning of a file server, waste more time
on meetings to talk about something nobody knows anything about, blasting
someone to be a netware supervisor after they managed to install win95
all by themselves, waste more time on meetings with unix admins to discuss
a netware/dos situation they don't even want to discuss because beyond
unix they don't know anything else and if they can get the netware server
out they will by all means.

I am sorry for this outburst but I am sick and tired of this so called
excuse for being 'an educational institution' and having no money, while
the averidge college is wasting +-150k a year on above mentioned BS and
universities twice as much, you can have 2 netware experts for 1/2 of
that waste. I know you personally can't do much because it are those
'educated' people upstairs making the stupid mistakes over and over and
over again.

I wish someone could explain to me why wasting so much money and time
on this is 'better' then getting the people you really need for alot
less money and needless fuss. Not even mentioning getting the job done.

> up as much as I can, but clear patch application instructions have thus far
> eluded me. If someone could point me to a good, practical resource, I would
> appreciate it! Thank you.

Ftp to ftp://ftp.novell.com/pub/updates/nwos/nw312 and get *all* the
files there, yes about 6/7mB in +-40 archives, start with 312pt7.exe and
*read* all the docs that comes with each archive, use a fake directory
tree to copy and apply the updates, keep a very close eye on updates
that are actually downgrades cause they added parts for the updates
sake itself while a newer update sits elsewhere or gets replaced by
the downgrade. When you've done them all and are sure you have the
latest version, use flag/xcopy/flag to install them all after making
a backup which can be copied back. My www site also carries some
patchfaq's.

--
Ec...@xs4all.nl, CLinks at http://www.xs4all.nl/~ecl2
Post Office Box 9179, 3007 AD Rotterdam The Netherlands