DOS newsreader

Samurai929

Feb 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/14/98

Does anyone here know of a freely available DOS-based newsreader which may be
used with any public NNTP server in a DOS window under W95?

Also, does anyone have any tips on getting started w/ DOS programming? Are
there any books on DOS programming that are still in print? Are there any
repositories of freely available DOS source code?

Please cc: response if possible. Thanks a lot.

samur...@aol.com

James Hall

Feb 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/15/98
to Samurai929

Samurai929 wrote:
> Also, does anyone have any tips on getting started w/ DOS programming? Are
> there any books on DOS programming that are still in print? Are there any
> repositories of freely available DOS source code?

As for freely available DOS source code, you can try the FreeDOS
Project. The official home is:

http://www.freedos.org

I maintain the FreeDOS Install program, so you can also visit my site
at:

http://www.isd.net/jhall1/freedos

Part of FreeDOS is the Micro-C C Compiler, which is a mostly ANSI C
compliant compiler. It is not bad for learning the language.

-- Henry Spencer

sdn4...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2018, 1:24:00 PM10/24/18
On Saturday, February 14, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Samurai929 wrote:
> Does anyone here know of a freely available DOS-based newsreader which may be
> used with any public NNTP server in a DOS window under W95?
>
> Also, does anyone have any tips on getting started w/ DOS programming? Are
> there any books on DOS programming that are still in print? Are there any
> repositories of freely available DOS source code?
>
> Please cc: response if possible. Thanks a lot.
>
> samur...@aol.com
www.ml1compiler.org has some DOS programming utilities, Freedos, NASM as well as information files. Also try library book sales for DOS books which seem
to end up there these days. I don't know the date of the message I am
answering so hopefully it isn't years old. :-).
Steve

Grant Taylor

Oct 24, 2018, 2:16:10 PM10/24/18
On 10/24/2018 11:23 AM, sdn4...@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't know the date of the message I am answering so hopefully it
> isn't years old. :-).

Um, your news client knew the date. It provided the following line in
your post.

On Saturday, February 14, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Samurai929 wrote:

You did reply to a post from early '98. :-|

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

sdn4...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2018, 6:12:45 PM10/25/18
Grant,
It's a thing with the newsreader which (Google) doesn't show the date
of a message unless you reply and then it's in the quoted text.
Gone are the days of RN, TRN, etc... This group used to be tough to
keep up with. Now Usenet is sleepy time unless there is some other
Usenet I am missing.
Steve

Grant Taylor

Oct 25, 2018, 7:15:54 PM10/25/18
Oh my.

I personally subscribe to 180 newsgroups and actively participate in ~50
of them.

I'm pondering blocking Google Groups access on my news server because of
the spam level. But there's just enough good content from GG that I
haven't done so yet.

Paul Bartlett

Oct 26, 2018, 1:42:10 PM10/26/18
The online world has certainly changed. Some newsgroups that used to be
very active, such as news.answers, hardly receive anything now (except,
in the latter case, some regular robot timed announcements in German). I
am the listowner of an old fashioned listserv which some years ago was
also very active, often with multiple posts per day in lively
discussions. Now many days often go by without a single post, and then
few if any responses. Old BBS's are getting just that, old. The
internet world seems to have gone to blogs with responses and the like.

--
Paul Bartlett