external 320GB HD / USB 2.0 / DOS / LFN / FAT32

Franc Zabkar

Aug 2, 2007, 7:02:38 PM8/2/07
I'm using Win98SE. Unfortunately I cannot find a USB 2.0 driver for my
motherboard's SiS 7002 controller. There is one by OrangeWare but it
appears that it disables itself if it detects unlicensed PCI subvendor
and device IDs. Usbview shows that the drive is attached to the SiS
7001 (USB 1.1) controller.

The BIOS has support for USB mass storage devices. It also has a
setting for enabling USB 2.0.

If I connect the drive and then reboot into real DOS mode, my USB
drive appears to DOS as drive D:. I can then write files to D:, but
only at USB 1.1 speeds (~ 0.7MB/s).

The same external drive works fine at USB 2.0 speeds (~30MB/s) on an
XP machine with an Intel chipset.

If I connect the drive before booting, Windows Explorer detects drive
D: and its ghost at N:. If I connect the drive after booting, only
drive N: appears.

Can anyone suggest how I might transfer files to the 320GB drive using
DOS? The file system is FAT32 and long file names must be supported.

I was thinking that a Win98SE startup diskette with 4dos.com would
provide the LFN support. AIUI, 48-bit LBA support is handled by the
controller in the USB enclosure.

For USB 2.0 support I was thinking that the Panasonic drivers in this
thread may do the trick, although I'm not sure whether to turn off USB
support in the BIOS before trying them:

http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/13447.html

BTW, the SiS 7002 Win98 "driver" merely places a NOUSB executable in
autoexec.bat to prevent Windows from asking for one. :-(

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Aug 11, 2007, 6:57:25 PM8/11/07
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:02:38 +1000, Franc Zabkar
<fza...@iinternode.on.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:

I found that version 2.15 of Panasonic's USPASPI.SYS driver in
conjunction with the "Motto Hairu" DOS Driver, Di1000dd.SYS, enabled
me to access an external USB 2.0 HD from within DOS.

My config.sys file had these two lines:

device=USBASPI.SYS
device=DI1000DD.SYS

The relevant files were extracted from these archives:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/drive/other/driver/f2h_usb.exe
http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/mhairu.zip

John Dulak

Aug 11, 2007, 7:03:38 PM8/11/07
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:02:38 +1000, Franc Zabkar
> <fza...@iinternode.on.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>

> I found that version 2.15 of Panasonic's USPASPI.SYS driver in

> conjunction with the "Motto Hairu" DOS Driver, Di1000dd.SYS, enabled
> me to access an external USB 2.0 HD from within DOS.
>
> My config.sys file had these two lines:
>
> device=USBASPI.SYS
> device=DI1000DD.SYS
>
> The relevant files were extracted from these archives:
> http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/drive/other/driver/f2h_usb.exe
> http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/mhairu.zip
>
> - Franc Zabkar

Franc: