Free-DOS alpha release to sunsite

JAMES HALL

Sep 16, 1994, 11:30:06 AM9/16/94
(Free-DOS is freely distributable).

I have uploaded the first alpha release of the Free-DOS utilities to
sunsite.unc.edu in /uploads. Myself, I couldn't see anything in that
directory after uploading, but I am told this is normal. If anyone
has trouble getting files, post it here.

The Free-DOS files will probably sit there until the sysadmin sees
them and puts them into their own directory. We will also be getting
an acct there to manage the Free-DOS releases. I am also waiting to
get email back from the oak.oakland.edu admin, because we were also
supposed to release from there.

I should apologize now in that I didn't include an exe of "which", one
of the new additions to Free-DOS. Sorry. The source is there,
though, if you'd care to compile it.

Here is the 00_index file from the release:

00_index.txt
============

size modified name description
5254 sep 15 17:04 coding the coding standards
18321 sep 15 17:04 copying the gnu general public license
292946 sep 15 17:04 exe.zip the executables (in c:\freedos)
112966 Sep 15 18:31 emacs16d.zip Russ Nelson's Freemacs
18925 sep 15 17:04 help.zip the help files (in c:\dos\help\1)
4799 sep 15 17:04 manifest the manifesto
43926 sep 15 17:04 mv.zip source to "mv"--not compiled yet
85517 sep 15 17:04 src.zip the source to all utilities so far
6262 sep 15 17:04 task-lis the task list
148162 sep 15 17:05 unz512x.exe info-zip's unzip (put in your path)
176302 sep 15 17:04 zip20x.zip info-zip's zip (put in your path)

This is the first alpha release of Free-DOS, released to ftp sites
around the world. For more information, refer to the manifesto and
task list or post a question to comp.os.msdos.misc.

If you find a problem in any of the utilities presented here, please
report them to James....@uwrf.edu. Yes, I am aware of the pathname
problem in HELP. I will fix that later.

This is not a complete posting of all the Free-DOS utilities. Some
simply weren't ready for release when this was put together, and
others haven't been started yet. If you would like to help out,
please see the task list.

Thanks to everyone helping with Free-DOS.

Fuzzy Fox

Sep 18, 1994, 12:52:19 AM9/18/94
That's great. What *is* Free-DOS?

--
Fuzzy Fox | "The aardvark is really a curious creature;
f...@netcom.com | If you're an ant, he's likely to eatcher.