The system cannot execute the specified program

Wes

Mar 1, 2006, 9:58:01 PM3/1/06
I'm getting this error whenever I run my program from a path that is longer
than 64 characters. From what I have been able to find through Google is
that this is the expected behavior for 16-bit applications
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q241712/). The Microsoft page, however,
does not mention if "16-bit Program" means a16-bit dos program or a16-bit
windows program.

DJGPP is a 32-bit compiler, so does the compiled executable count as a
32-bit program? Does windows treat all dos programs as 16-bit? Is there a
way to flag the compiler to tell windows to treat it as a 32-bit program?

Has anyone else seen this problem? What kind of work arounds have you found?

- Wes

DJ Delorie

Mar 1, 2006, 10:04:58 PM3/1/06
to dj...@delorie.com

> DJGPP is a 32-bit compiler, so does the compiled executable count as
> a 32-bit program? Does windows treat all dos programs as 16-bit? Is
> there a way to flag the compiler to tell windows to treat it as a
> 32-bit program?

DJGPP produced 32 bit programs, but there is still a 16 bit stub that
lets MS-DOS load it. From Windows' point of view, all DJGPP programs
are (initially) 16 bit programs.

CBFalconer

Mar 2, 2006, 4:42:20 AM3/2/06

Use the subst command. Avoid directories with long names and/or
spaces in their names like the plague they are. In W98 I have the
following in autoexec.bat (which has to use the 8.3 names):

Rem shorten paths
subst x: c:\util
subst v: c:\progra~1\micros~3
subst u: c:\windows\applic~1

Brian Inglis

Mar 2, 2006, 10:11:45 PM3/2/06

Add "%L" instead of (default) "%1" after the application executable
under Explorer/.../Folder Options/File Types/choose file
type/Edit/{New,Edit}/Application.
You should always create at least an open action, but if you also
create other actions, you can make any one of them the default for
that file type.

Brian....@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply

Wes

Mar 3, 2006, 11:42:43 AM3/3/06
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I'm limited to the solutions that
will work for me because of the circumstances. I am trying to use the dos
program by calling it from a Widget (see http://konfabulator.com). The
widget can access dos programs through a function that invokes a unix shell.
The problem occurs because the working directory for a widget is very far
down a chain of directories, and is not changable.

I have a work around that is not very pleasant. By placing the dos
executable in the users root directory, I can work a call that can use it.
This solution creeps me out, because it looks so much like a virus at work.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Mar 3, 2006, 12:11:42 PM3/3/06
Wes <wing...@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> widget can access dos programs through a function that invokes a
> unix shell. The problem occurs because the working directory for a
> widget is very far down a chain of directories, and is not
> changable.

You're not making terribly much sense there. What would the working
directory of that widget thingy have to do with the location of the
DOS program it'll run?

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (bro...@physik.rwth-aachen.de)

Brian Inglis

Mar 3, 2006, 1:33:25 PM3/3/06

Create an MS Windows shortcut that invokes the program and sets the
working directory, then run the shortcut (perhaps using "start")
instead of running the program directly.

Martin Str|mberg

Mar 3, 2006, 2:21:36 PM3/3/06
Hans-Bernhard Broeker <bro...@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Wes <wing...@ucsd.edu> wrote:

>> widget can access dos programs through a function that invokes a
>> unix shell. The problem occurs because the working directory for a
>> widget is very far down a chain of directories, and is not
>> changable.

> You're not making terribly much sense there. What would the working
> directory of that widget thingy have to do with the location of the
> DOS program it'll run?

It sounds like it's been jailed/sandboxed into a certain directory.
But as it sounds like he's using some form of WINDOWS, then
- segmentation fault -
.

Does not compute.

Right,