Standalone EXE files

FreeDOSfan

Jul 7, 2005, 7:53:58 PM7/7/05
Is it possible to create standalone EXE files with DJGPP ?

CWSDPMI.DOC implies:

- "built in extender is not supported" => NO
- "This allows single executable image distributions.
You can use the EXE2COFF program and
COPY /B CWSDSTUB.EXE+yourimage yourimage.exe
to create a standalone executable image." => YES

??? YES or NO ???

Or do I understand "built in extender" wrongly ?

I tried it - seems to work.

I tested with BZIP2 and one example I
compiled myself.

Default is obviously NO - all .EXE files from
www.delorie.com and most other "ports" are not
standalone.

Is it (creating a standalone version)
supposed to work for all programms ?

In the past I tested FreePascal - it is also
based on CWSDPMI, but standalone EXE's did
not work except for "HELLO.EXE". I did not get
much valuable help in FreePascal forum - the
DOS target is almost abandonated. Should it
(standalone failure) be considered as a BUG
of FreePascal ?

DJ Delorie

Jul 7, 2005, 8:09:13 PM7/7/05
to dj...@delorie.com

> CWSDPMI.DOC implies:
>
> - "built in extender is not supported" => NO
> - "This allows single executable image distributions.
> You can use the EXE2COFF program and
> COPY /B CWSDSTUB.EXE+yourimage yourimage.exe
> to create a standalone executable image." => YES
>
> ??? YES or NO ???

If it seems to work, then it seems to work ;-)

Also, PMODE can be used as a built-in extender. This is what the ftp
site's unzip32.exe uses.

> Default is obviously NO - all .EXE files from
> www.delorie.com and most other "ports" are not
> standalone.

Right. A 2k stub is far more efficient than a huge built-in extender.

FreeDOSfan

Jul 7, 2005, 8:21:42 PM7/7/05
"Also, PMODE can be used as a built-in extender"

I know. Is its functionality as good as the of CWSDPMI ?

PMODE/W is considered to have some lacks/bugs - is
PMODE/DJ better ?

"A 2k stub is far more efficient than a huge built-in extender."

"huge" extender CWSDPMI: 20 KB

32-bit EXE file: * 50 KB HELLO.EXE
* some 100 KB average prog
* >1MB more complicated prog

DOS/4GW: 250 KB !!!

DJ Delorie

Jul 7, 2005, 8:31:07 PM7/7/05
to dj...@delorie.com

> "huge" extender CWSDPMI: 20 KB

Consider how many executables there are in a DJGPP distribution.