ANNOUNCE: Release 2 of the DJGPP port of GNU Texinfo 4.13

Juan Manuel Guerrero

Jan 9, 2009, 5:54:07 PM1/9/09
to djgpp-a...@delorie.com
This is release 2 of the port of GNU Texinfo 4.13 to MSDOS/DJGPP.

Texinfo is a package for writing documentation, with tools to produce the
on-line and printed docs in several formats. Most GNU packages come with
their docs written and produced by Texinfo programs. The docs written as
part of the DJGPP project also use Texinfo.

By default info.exe looks at /dev/env/DJDIR/share/info to locate the info
docs, so there should be no more difficulties if other gnu packages place
their documentation in this new canonical directory.

See the file NEWS for a list of major changes in the current release.

DJGPP specific changes.
=======================

- This is a bug fix release. The previous version of this port was broken
because the used libsupp was brocken.
- To be able to compile the sources, towlower(), mblen(), mbsinit(),
mbtowc(), mbrtowc(), memmem(), snprintf() and the argz family of functions
are required. Also a mbstate_t structure (like the one provided by GNU glibc)
that allows to store the conversion state information is required. All this
will avoid to have to adjust the texinfo sources (to be more explicitly, the
multibyte iterator provided by gnulib) to the DJGPP peculiarities.
These functions are provided by libsupp.a, so you will need to install the
package:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/beta/v2tk/lsupp61a.zip
to configure and compile the source package, no matter if you use djdev203
or djev204. No one of the provided functions will offer reentrancy support
neither any multi-byte nor wide character support beyond the one provided
by DJGPP's libc itself. This also implies that the texinfo binaries will
not provide any multi-byte support except for the one that DJGPP provides.

- To run the testsuite the program mktemp.exe will be required, so you will
need to install the package:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/beta/v2tk/mktmp15b.zip

Both packages must be installed before you configure and compile the sources;
of course, if you are not interested in compiling the sources you do not need
at all to download and install neither lsupp61a.zip nor mktmp15b.zip.

As usual, all changes against the original sources are documented in the diffs
file stored in the /djgpp subdir.

Compiling the sources.
======================

As usual the sources are configured for stock djdev203.
- If you compile the sources with djdev203, you must proceed as usual running
the following commands from the top srcdir, this is texinfo4.13:
make
make check
make install
The tests ii-0041-test and ii-0050-test will always fail because the zdiff
script from the gzip port is brocken. I will fix this some day or may be
some interested user provides me with a solution.

- If you compile the sources with djdev204 it will be essential to
reconfigure sources because the distributed one have been configured for
djdev203. For this purpose you *must* delete the cache file config.cache
or you will get a broken binary.

In conclusion, to rebuild the sed binary with djdev204 to get a binary
usefull for WinXP run the following commands from the top srcdir (texinfo4.13):
rm config.cache
config.bat
make
make check
make install

Please note that the removing of the cache file is essential. As told
before the tests ii-0041-test and ii-0050-test will always fail because the
zdiff script from the gzip port is brocken.
Please do *not* report anything to <bug-t...@gnu.org>, if there
are problems with this port there are probably DJGPP originated and must
be discussed and solved here.

As usual, all djgpp specific files (config.bat, diffs, readme files, etc.)
are located in the /djgpp subdir.

The port consists of the usual three packages produced using stock djdev203
that can be downloaded from ftp.delorie.com and mirrors as (timestamp 2009-01-09):

Texinfo 4.13 binary, info and man format documentation:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413br2.zip

Texinfo 4.13 dvi, html and ps format documentation:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413dr2.zip

Texinfo 4.13 source:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413sr2.zip

For the convenience of the WinXP users the binaries has been produced a
second time using the djdev204 beta library. This package is available
at ftp.delorie.com and mirrors as (timestamp 2009-01-09):

Texinfo 4.13 binary, info and man format documentation:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/beta/v2gnu/txi413br2.zip

Send texinfo specific bug reports to <bug-t...@gnu.org>
Send suggestions and bug reports concerning the DJGPP port to
comp.os.msdos.djgpp or <dj...@delorie.com>.

Enjoy.

Guerrero, Juan Manuel <juan.g...@gmx.de>

Rugxulo

Jan 9, 2009, 7:38:52 PM1/9/09

On Jan 9, 4:54 pm, "Juan Manuel Guerrero" <juan.guerr...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> This is release 2 of the port of GNU Texinfo 4.13 to MSDOS/DJGPP.
>

>   - This is a bug fix release.  The previous version of this port was broken
>     because the used libsupp was brocken.

Okay, tested this r2 /beta/ version under Vista, no more crashes. So I
assume everything is okay now. ;-)

CBFalconer

Jan 9, 2009, 8:27:09 PM1/9/09
Juan Manuel Guerrero wrote:

> This is release 2 of the port of GNU Texinfo 4.13 to MSDOS/DJGPP.

... snip ...

> The port consists of the usual three packages produced using stock
> djdev203 that can be downloaded from ftp.delorie.com and mirrors
> as (timestamp 2009-01-09):
>
> Texinfo 4.13 binary, info and man format documentation:
> ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413br2.zip
>
> Texinfo 4.13 dvi, html and ps format documentation:
> ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413dr2.zip
>
> Texinfo 4.13 source:
> ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413sr2.zip

This is faulty. Your file names are exceeding 8 chars, and thus
are not DOS compatible. If you remove the final 'r' they will be
satisfactory.

Try the download section.

Eli Zaretskii

Jan 10, 2009, 4:05:46 AM1/10/09
to Juan Manuel Guerrero, dj...@delorie.com
> From: "Juan Manuel Guerrero" <juan.g...@gmx.de>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 23:54:07 +0100

> This is release 2 of the port of GNU Texinfo 4.13 to MSDOS/DJGPP.

Thanks!

> For the convenience of the WinXP users the binaries has been produced a
> second time using the djdev204 beta library.

What is special about Windows XP that its users might want the 2.04
version? I thought the v2.03 that's on DJGPP sites is fixed to work
around any XP DPMI-related bugs.

Gerrit van Niekerk

Jan 11, 2009, 3:30:41 AM1/11/09
to dj...@delorie.com, Juan Manuel Guerrero
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Eli Zaretskii <el...@gnu.org> wrote:
> What is special about Windows XP that its users might want the 2.04
> version? I thought the v2.03 that's on DJGPP sites is fixed to work
> around any XP DPMI-related bugs.

V2.03 fixed most, but not all XP problems. V2.04 is just more stable on XP.

Eli Zaretskii

Jan 11, 2009, 1:52:18 PM1/11/09
to dj...@delorie.com, juan.g...@gmx.de
> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:30:41 +0200
> From: "Gerrit van Niekerk" <gerr...@gpvno.co.za>
> Cc: "Juan Manuel Guerrero" <juan.g...@gmx.de>

Which XP problems aren't fixed in the latest v2.03 binaries?

Gerrit van Niekerk

Jan 11, 2009, 2:21:55 PM1/11/09
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Eli Zaretskii <el...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> V2.03 fixed most, but not all XP problems. V2.04 is just more stable on XP.
>
> Which XP problems aren't fixed in the latest v2.03 binaries?

I have encountered mysterious hangup problems with V2.03, but not with
V2.04. (Hangup like in freezing or stop responding).

Charles Sandmann

Jan 12, 2009, 12:35:10 AM1/12/09
>>> V2.03 fixed most, but not all XP problems. V2.04 is just more stable on
>>> XP.
>>
>> Which XP problems aren't fixed in the latest v2.03 binaries?
>
> I have encountered mysterious hangup problems with V2.03, but not with
> V2.04. (Hangup like in freezing or stop responding).

Interesting. I use many pieces of the DJGPP toolchain daily on XP and have
never seen a problem. But those are mostly simple utilities.

Gerrit van Niekerk

Jan 12, 2009, 3:37:18 AM1/12/09
to dj...@delorie.com

My hanging programs are networking programs involving real-mode
callbacks from a packet driver and no or very few DOS operations
although BIOS is called regularly. I have also seen it happen on very
CPU intensive programs.

I suspect (without any proof) that XP decides that the process need
not be scheduled any more. Why V 2.04 solves the problem, I have no
idea.

CBFalconer

Jan 12, 2009, 9:19:57 PM1/12/09
CBFalconer wrote:
> Juan Manuel Guerrero wrote:
>
>> This is release 2 of the port of GNU Texinfo 4.13 to MSDOS/DJGPP.
>>
> ... snip ...
>>
>> The port consists of the usual three packages produced using stock
>> djdev203 that can be downloaded from ftp.delorie.com and mirrors
>> as (timestamp 2009-01-09):
>>
>> Texinfo 4.13 binary, info and man format documentation:
>> ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413br2.zip
>>
>> Texinfo 4.13 dvi, html and ps format documentation:
>> ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413dr2.zip
>>
>> Texinfo 4.13 source:
>> ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/txi413sr2.zip
>
> This is faulty. Your file names are exceeding 8 chars, and thus
> are not DOS compatible. If you remove the final 'r' they will be
> satisfactory.

Is anyone correcting these FAULTY file names.

Allan

Jan 13, 2009, 5:07:57 PM1/13/09

"Eli Zaretskii" <el...@gnu.org> wrote in message
When I first installed djgpp I did not know about the alpha or beta versions
and gcc crashed the first time I tried to compile a c program. As for this
file naming controversy I simply renamed the binary file from 'br2' to 'r2'.

CBFalconer

Jan 13, 2009, 9:14:45 PM1/13/09
Allan wrote:

... snip ...

> When I first installed djgpp I did not know about the alpha or
> beta versions and gcc crashed the first time I tried to compile
> a c program. As for this file naming controversy I simply renamed
> the binary file from 'br2' to 'r2'.

The final b, d, or s normally describe binary, doc, and source
zips. So you would be better off removing the 'r' from the
filenames.

My point is that the filenames should be fixed on delorie.com, so
they can be properly downloaded onto DOS machines.

Allan

Jan 14, 2009, 5:24:53 PM1/14/09

"CBFalconer" <cbfal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I know that the letters b,d and s denote the content type but in my case I
almost always use the binaries versions and I just wanted to install the new
version. I agree with your point about the excessive name length. Thanks for
the reply.