ANNOUNCE: DJGPP port of Perl 5.8.8 uploaded.

Juan Manuel Guerrero

May 11, 2007, 11:45:43 PM5/11/07
to djgpp-a...@delorie.com
This is a port of Perl 5.8.8 to MSDOS/DJGPP.

DJGPP specific changes.
=======================

The changes are documented by the diffs file stored in the /djgpp subdir.
The various changes performed have no user visible impact but are required
due to the mayor changes in the perl sources compared with the last port
of perl 5.6.1.
The sources are not configured at all, only the patch has been applied.
If you want to recompile the suorces run the following command sequence
from the top srcdir of the source tree (gnu/perl-5.8-8):
cd djgpp
configure -des
make
[set DESTDIR=/some/dir]
make install
make check
The make command produces everything. The set DESTDIR is optional.
If not supplied the products are installed in /dev/env/DJDIR.
If you decide to run the testsuite, you will have to **DEINSTALL** your
previous perl package and install the new products or the testsuite will
fail. I have configured and compiled perl 5.8.8 with stock 2.03 and
beta 2.04. The screen output for the configuration, compilation and
the testsuite run has been stored in the files 20[34]configure.txt,
20[34]make.txt 20[34]makecheck.txt located in the /djgpp subdir.
98% of the testsuite passes. Neitherless it was not possible to me to
get file locking of beta 2.04 working (made the dos box always crash on
Win98SE and WinXP home), so I have disabled it at all. For stock 2.03
there is no file locking so there was no problem. Loading precompiled
bytecode also always fails with SIGSEGV and out of memory message.
SIGALARM for a high resolution timer module also does not work correctly.
All these are issues that must be analysed and cleared. The source of
trouble may be the perl code of the modules or the libc code. Unfortunatly
my perl skill are to modest to clear all these questions, so some contribution
of some perl programmer in the djgpp user audience will be very welcome or
this things will probably never been fixed. Again you have my patch and
20[34]*.txt files that show what I have done or what I may have done wrong.

** DO NOT MIX THE PERL 5.6.1 PORT AND THIS ONE. **

Please read the docs to become familiar with this product.

The binaries and surces can be downloaded from ftp.delorie.com and
mirrors as(timestamp 2007-05-12):

Perl 5.8.8 binary and man format documentation:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/perl588b.zip

Perl 5.8.8 source:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/perl588s.zip

For the convenience of the WinXP users the binaries has been produced
a second time using the djdev204 beta library. This package is available
at ftp.delorie.com and mirrors as (timestamp 2007-05-12):

Perl 5.8.8 binary and man format documentation:
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/beta/v2gnu/perl588b.zip

Send perl specific bug reports to perl 5 porter mailing list
after having subscribed at <perl5-porte...@perl.org>.
Send suggestions and bug reports concerning the DJGPP port to
comp.os.msdos.djgpp or <dj...@delorie.com>.

Enjoy.

Guerrero, Juan Manuel <juan.g...@gmx.de>