Quattro Pro for DOS SVGA Video Modes

Felix Miata

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
On Sat, 05 Dec 1998 09:59:05 -0500, Toby Wintersteen wrote:

> I can't get Quattro Pro to do 132 col mode with my Matrox -no listing
> in setup. Any suggestions? Looks like I'll have to use an ISA video card
> it supports.

I've been attacking this off & on a couple years. Today I finally
figured out how to adjust VIDEO.RSC to accomodate the VESA SVGA text
video modes. Corel actually had a cryptic explanation on its web site.
What it didn't say was what INT 10 function was used for the extended
modes. This turned out to be 4F.

Try this with your Matrox & let me know which modes work OK. I don't
have a Matrox, largely because of not previously having figured this out
or gotten any help from Corel/Novell/Borland.
--
" The moral principles and precepts contained in the Scriptures ought
to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws. . . . All the

Team OS/2 *** SCSI ONLY since 1990

Felix Miata *** http://www.gate.net/~mrmazda

VIDEO.RSC

DLO News

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Does this fix (or modification)have any relevance to getting general DOS
SVGA support from Matrox Millenium drivers? Or is my desperation on this
matter making me naive?
thanks,
Jeremy Harbinson

Felix Miata

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
to DLO News
DLO News wrote:

> Felix Miata wrote in message <369984...@gate.net>...

> >On Sat, 05 Dec 1998 09:59:05 -0500, Toby Wintersteen wrote:

> >> I can't get Quattro Pro to do 132 col mode with my Matrox -no listing
> >> in setup. Any suggestions? Looks like I'll have to use an ISA video card
> >> it supports.

> >I've been attacking this off & on a couple years. Today I finally
> >figured out how to adjust VIDEO.RSC to accomodate the VESA SVGA text
> >video modes. Corel actually had a cryptic explanation on its web site.
> >What it didn't say was what INT 10 function was used for the extended
> >modes. This turned out to be 4F.

> >Try this with your Matrox & let me know which modes work OK. I don't
> >have a Matrox, largely because of not previously having figured this out
> >or gotten any help from Corel/Novell/Borland.

> Does this fix (or modification)have any relevance to getting general DOS

> SVGA support from Matrox Millenium drivers? Or is my desperation on this
> matter making me naive?

Maybe to a limited extent, but essentially, no. The absence of Matrox
DOS and SVGA text support is presisely why I've never bought Matrox, in
spite of their otherwise good OS/2 reputation. VIDEO.RSC may be of some
assistance in understanding SVGA text modes and setting up certain
programs to use them.

If you need maximum DOS/SVGA text support, it's best to stick with
products that have their genesis prior to the spread of Wintel GUIs -
Trident, S3, Tseng, ATI, Paradise, Genoa, Boca and others, and not
including Diamond.
--
" In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of
the first things in which all children, under a free government, ought

Arnold van Overeem

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:56:24, Felix Miata <bogus....@gate.net> wrote:

I'm triggered by your information. Would it be possible (by manipulating
VIDEO.RSC) to make Quattro Pro 4.0 work in Wysiwyg mode in a 640x480 dots
window on a SVGA screen or on a Matrox MGA screen, or does this require an
enhanced version of VVGA.SYS/VVSGA.SYS/VMGA.SYS ?

read my email adres backwards to reply
===========================
Arnold van Overeem
===========================
Where do I want to go today ?
Don't ask Bill, he is the last one to know !

Felix Miata

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Arnold van Overeem wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:56:24, Felix Miata <bogus....@gate.net> wrote:

> > On Sat, 05 Dec 1998 09:59:05 -0500, Toby Wintersteen wrote:

> > > I can't get Quattro Pro to do 132 col mode with my Matrox -no listing
> > > in setup. Any suggestions? Looks like I'll have to use an ISA video card
> > > it supports.

> > I've been attacking this off & on a couple years. Today I finally
> > figured out how to adjust VIDEO.RSC to accomodate the VESA SVGA text
> > video modes. Corel actually had a cryptic explanation on its web site.
> > What it didn't say was what INT 10 function was used for the extended
> > modes. This turned out to be 4F.

> > Try this with your Matrox & let me know which modes work OK. I don't
> > have a Matrox, largely because of not previously having figured this out
> > or gotten any help from Corel/Novell/Borland.

> I'm triggered by your information. Would it be possible (by manipulating
> VIDEO.RSC) to make Quattro Pro 4.0 work in Wysiwyg mode in a 640x480 dots
> window on a SVGA screen or on a Matrox MGA screen, or does this require an
> enhanced version of VVGA.SYS/VVSGA.SYS/VMGA.SYS ?

Just guessing, no. Why? WYSIWYG is 640 X 480 16 color (I think, maybe
not), a basic PC video mode. If Matrox doesn't build that support into
hardware, VESA modes won't help, as they're all either higher resolution
or more than 16 colors. Unless the Matrox video utility program can
offer this support throught software, you are probably SOL without
switching to a video card with built in legacy support, which virtually
every other video card maker offers, or switching to a GUI spreadsheet.
Someone elsewhere on this thread seemed to indicate there was a Matrox
software solution that should be loaded into AUTOEXEC.BAT for DOS
sessions, at least for what he wanted to do, which I don't think
included WYSIWYG.

If QPro is using 640 X 480 X 256 color, which I doubt, you could try
substituting the following line for the last line in the VIDEO.RSC file
I posted last Sunday:

E: VESA SVGA 640 X 480 X 256 Color: 80x60,20226,257,0,0,2 ;100

20226 is decimal 4F02h, which is BIOS INT 10's 4Fh (VESA video} function
02h (set video mode), which QPro loads into register AX. 257 is decimal
101h, the actual mode to set, 640 X 480 X 256 color, which QPro loads
into register BX. The two zeros following are the rows and columns,
which are zero for graphics modes. The 2 following is telling QPro that
the video mode being selected is a graphics mode.

An additional reason why I don't think this will work is I have
previously tried other VESA modes with other graphics cards without
success.