Old Video card and Windows95

John W. Gillard

Aug 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/30/95
I have a old but useful PC that I would like to run Windows95 on. However the
VGA Video Card (STB AVGA Eagle 2 using a Cirrus Logic CL-GD510/520) is old and
refuses to run with Windows95. What I mean by that is, Windows95 boots no
problem, and reports no errors, but the screen is distorted. I can make out
general shapes of dialog boxes and buttons, but is unusable. I have tried
changing Windows95 video drivers and monitor types. I even tried using DOS
commands to adjust monitor refresh rates to no avail. The manufacturer doubts
I can ever get it to run and that I should buy a new video board, which in fact
I may eventually end up doing. However, the PC runs fine under Windows 3.11.
Does anyone know whether I can use the Windows 3.11 video drivers under
Windows95? And how I would go about doing it? I realize I will be running 16
bit drivers and I will lose some of the Windows95 functionality.

Thanks in advance.