"Start" command in batch files: paramaters?

Nathan Clegg

Oct 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/24/95
Are there any paramaters available for the "Start" command in batch
files? Mainly I'm looking to start a program minimized, maximized,
etc., without having to load a shortcut.

Thanks in advance.

-----
Nathan Clegg
ncl...@io.com
http://www.io.com/~nclegg/
Phoenix, Arizona

Steve Smith

Oct 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/24/95
Steve Harris <shar...@coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

:On Tue, 24 Oct 1995, Nathan Clegg wrote:
:
:> Are there any paramaters available for the "Start" command in batch

:>
:>
:>
:
:I don't know if you can uses parameters with the start command, but you
:can pass parameters to the program you are starting.
:
:For example
:
:start sndrec32 -play -close bell.wav
:
:will load the sound recorder app play the sound bell.wav and close.
:
:You can probably use the parameter -minimize and -maximize.
:
:Steven (in coventry)

Wow.. now I have learned something. Steven's above example, plus this info:

[clipboard copy of dos session]
c:\4dos>start
Runs a Windows program or an MS-DOS program.

START [options] program [arg...]
START [options] document.ext

/m[inimized] Run the new program minimized (in the background).
/max[imized] Run the new program maximized (in the foreground).
/r[estored] Run the new program restored (in the foreground). [default]
/w[ait] Does not return until the other program exits.

So I tried something:

c:\4dos>start /m sndrec32 -play -close "\WINDOWS\MEDIA\The Microsoft Sound.wav"

This played the sound in the background. I got the DOS prompt back before it was
complete. Watching the taskbar (dos in a window) I see it started the sound
recorder quietly and minimized. It overwrote no windows, and if I am in
fullscreen DOS mode, it did not yank me back into Win95. <GRIN>

Hope this additional info helps.

-Steve 'learned a few new things today, I did!' Smith

---
sms...@omni.voicenet.com
http://www.voicenet.com/~smsmith

Steve Harris

Oct 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/24/95

Raymond Chen

Oct 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/25/95
fOn Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:16:55 GMT, ncl...@io.com (Nathan Clegg) wrote:
>Are there any paramaters available for the "Start" command in batch
>files?

Try

start /?