Where does .NET 2003 store C++ include paths?

Derek

Mar 17, 2005, 6:17:12 PM3/17/05
Visual Studio .NET 2003 lets additional me specify additional
directories for include and library files (Tools >> Options >>
Projects >> VC++ Directories). Can anyone tell me where these
paths are stored? In VC6 they were stored in the registry
under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DevStudio\6.0. This
no longer seems to be the model for .NET 2003, and I can't find
an obvious home in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio.

Basically I need a way to update these settings for a bunch of
developers. In the VC6 days I could give them a bat or reg file
that would update everything. Now it seems I'll have to come
up with something else.

Derek

P.S. I know a better solution is to save additional dirs on a
per-project basis (i.e., in dsp/vcproj files), but I'm not in
a position to update hundreds of project legacy files at this
time.

Tim Robinson

Mar 17, 2005, 6:23:24 PM3/17/05
"Derek" <us...@nospam.org> wrote in message

> Visual Studio .NET 2003 lets additional me specify additional
> directories for include and library files (Tools >> Options >>
> Projects >> VC++ Directories). Can anyone tell me where these
> paths are stored? In VC6 they were stored in the registry
> under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DevStudio\6.0. This
> no longer seems to be the model for .NET 2003, and I can't find
> an obvious home in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
> Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio.
[...]

They're in VCComponents.dat, which only shows up once you visit the "VC++
Directories" page in Tools|Options; but if you copy VCComponents.dat onto
your machine, Visual Studio will pick it up regardless. None of this goes
into the registry.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tim>dir /s VCComponents.dat
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 44F7-BC06

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1

17/03/2005 23:21 846 VCComponents.dat
1 File(s) 846 bytes

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0

11/03/2005 00:36 2,854 VCComponents.dat
1 File(s) 2,854 bytes

Total Files Listed:
2 File(s) 3,700 bytes
0 Dir(s) 50,225,262,592 bytes free

--
Tim Robinson
MVP, Windows SDK

Derek

Mar 17, 2005, 6:57:07 PM3/17/05
Tim Robinson wrote:
> They're in VCComponents.dat, which only shows up once you visit the "VC++
> Directories" page in Tools|Options; but if you copy VCComponents.dat onto
> your machine, Visual Studio will pick it up regardless. None of this goes
> into the registry.

Thanks, Tim. I don't know how I missed it the first time I searched the
VisualStudio\7.1 folder.

Bronek Kozicki

Mar 19, 2005, 3:17:10 PM3/19/05
Derek wrote:
> Basically I need a way to update these settings for a bunch of
> developers. In the VC6 days I could give them a bat or reg file
> that would update everything. Now it seems I'll have to come
> up with something else.

you could always use environment variables (this can be actually written
in registry) and then tell your developers to start VS with /useenv switch

B.