Resize a control just on one side ?

Flzw

Jul 23, 2004, 7:53:57 AM7/23/04

Here is the problem of the day, I have an MDI application, I have the
MDICLIENT window created etc, everything works fine.

The thing is The MDICLIENT window will not use the whole width of the frame
window, I will have a treeview on the left. So I want the left border of the
MDICLIENT window to be resizable.

I have thought of two possibilites, first one is to give a WS_THICKFRAME
style to the MDICLIENT and size it so its top, right, and bottom borders are
outside the client area of the Frame window. That would prevent use of
scrollbars though (they're not really needed anyway, I was planning on not
using them.)

The second which looks nicer ( but much harder to implement) to me would be
to subclass the MDICLIENT window and handle WM_NCMOUSEMOVE and look for
HT_BORDER etc... and resize accordingly.

Before I start doing something, I'd like to know if those solutions would
work ? and if there would not be some other way I didn't think of.

Thanks

Tim Robinson

Jul 23, 2004, 7:11:52 PM7/23/04
Flzw wrote:
[...]

> Before I start doing something, I'd like to know if those solutions
> would work ? and if there would not be some other way I didn't think
> of.

You probably want a splitter control between the tree view and the MDI
client area. It doesn't come as standard (unless you're using MFC), but it's
not hard to do.

--
Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
http://mobius.sourceforge.net/