Details of SDK beta release

Brad Hines

Oct 22, 1992, 6:57:36 PM10/22/92
The following was posted to Compuserve yesterday by Dwight Matheny:

==================

The following message is forwarded from MSWIN32

> %: 15561 S1/NonTech Cust. Serv.
> 21-Oct-92 15:53:05
> Sb: #MS: Oct SDK ships!!
> Fm: Dwight Matheny/Microsoft 70750,2340
> To: ALL

Attention all US SDK customers:

Since there's been lots of discussion about this, I'll make it official. The
October release of the Win32 Preliminary SDK for Windows NT started shipping to
US customers today, 10/21. (Int'l customers: there is usually about a two week
delay due to the fact that we ship first to the subsidiaries and that they in
turn ship to you: contact your local MS office if you need more specific
information.) There are two important things you need to know:

1. This release will be sent to you automatically. 2. We have more than 25,000
updates to ship, and we will be shipping several
thousand each day. We hope to have all the updates shipped by the end of
next week. If you do not receive your update by then I will post a phone #
you can call to check status. Please do not call until then.

This release of the Win32 SDK represents a significant improvement over the
July release. Here is a brief list of the new features for this release. If
you have specific questions, please ask them in the appropriate section on this
forum or on WINNT.

- Improved C++ compiler
- Improved debugging with C++ support
- A preliminary version of Win32s
- Improved online Help
- Tools for source code (call) and API profiling
- Improved porting tool
- Better sample applications
- Documentation is now provided in both PostScript and Write formats
- New file comparison program-WINDIFF.EXE
- POSIX development support
- New UNICODE development support
- Setup toolkit

This version of Windows NT also has significant enhancements relative to the
July release.

- Improved MS-DOS and 16-bit Windows application support
- Performance improvements such as console output and scrolling
- Fully functional Windows NT File System (NTFS)
- Feature complete except for Network DDE, Schedule+, and Mail
- Greater hardware compatibility
- New video support such as high-resolution S3 VGA video support

Good luck on developing great 32-bit Windows applications! I'm off to the DDK
conference, be back on Thurs 10/29.

-Dwight Matheny SDK Product Manager

There are 4 Replies.

--
Brad Hines
Internet: br...@huey.jpl.nasa.gov

Rupert Brown

Oct 23, 1992, 2:00:21 AM10/23/92
Can anybody from Microsoft comment on two items not mentioned in the
announcement:

1. Netware connectivity

2. TCP/IP Support on Token ring

- Thanks

Rupert

Dave Kolb

Oct 23, 1992, 10:13:48 AM10/23/92

In article <1992Oct2...@is.morgan.com>, rup...@is.morgan.com (Rupert Brown) writes:
|> Can anybody from Microsoft comment on two items not mentioned in the
|> announcement:
|>
|> 1. Netware connectivity

I don't think this will come from Microsoft. Will it?

Novell has told me that the WNT Requester will not be available till
the end of the year (not an announcement) and that some folks might
start getting the beta SDK (pretty much requester only) perhaps
beginning in a month (not an announcement).

If anyone knows more I'd like to hear it.

We're looking into Lan Manager on our HP/UX system to see if it is
compatible with the new WNT beta support with TCP/IP transport. Not
sure if WNT will run TCP/IP for LM support.

|> 2. TCP/IP Support on Token ring
|>
|> - Thanks
|>
|> Rupert

I saw no disclaimer and did see a footnote about the IBM adapter but
not sure if TCP/IP was supported or not.
--
Dave Kolb Opinions are mine not SAS'
SAS Institute, Inc. EMAIL: sas...@unx.sas.com

Alistair Banks

Oct 23, 1992, 10:48:00 AM10/23/92
In article <1992Oct2...@is.morgan.com> rup...@is.morgan.com (Rupert Brown) writes:
>Can anybody from Microsoft comment on two items not mentioned in the
>announcement:
>
>1. Netware connectivity

Novell sent out a document to their registerred users (or developers, I'm not
sure of the mailing list) asking who wanted their client - I suggest you
contact your local novell person and tell them you want the client as soon
as they release it to anyone...

>2. TCP/IP Support on Token ring

Should work fine now on the TR cards in the compatibility list

-- Alistair