C++ or Java???? Which is best? Please respond

w...@ct2.nai.net

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Hello,

I am interested in knowing what the unbiased opinion it out there...
I am considering pouring alot of my resources into a programming
education and career. In order to maximize the world of programming
these days, one must weigh the difference between C++ and Java.
Please choose you pick and tell me why you think it is the way to go.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Greg Truax

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

No contest, C++ wins hands down. Java is the slowest language ever,
because it must be translated into machine specific code before it can be
used. IT is even slower than Visual Basic. Java really can't even make
Windows programs. C++ is just much faster and more powerful than Java will
probably ever be.

w...@ct2.nai.net wrote in article <3315d86...@news.nai.net>...

David Edward Eison

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

: I am interested in knowing what the unbiased opinion it out there...

: I am considering pouring alot of my resources into a programming
: education and career. In order to maximize the world of programming
: these days, one must weigh the difference between C++ and Java.
: Please choose you pick and tell me why you think it is the way to go.

Java.

C++ is very dangerous and allows the programmer to do far too many stupid
things (which is why you frequently see "blue screens", page faults, and
many other crashes in Windows). Java is much "safer." Yes, this also
means more limiting - you can't do as many hacks and performance tweaks,
and it will run slower, etc. But in today's world, performance is being
sacrificed for cost and maintainability (due to simple economics - the
hardware is cheaper than paying programmers to tweak hacked code), so C++
is being moved away from. Java is the current future in almost everything
except for embedded systems and certain real-time applications that simply
can't afford to sacrifice speed and size.

However, which language you pick shouldn't be totally important. Here at
Georgia Tech they begin by teaching students with a fake language that has
no compiler - the concepts are important, the syntax is not. Again, Java
will be better to learn with, because it enforces proper programming style
a LOT better than C++ does.

-David
---
David Eison - gt0...@prism.gatech.edu || Happy Thoughts: Infocom, Info
CMPE Sophomore @ Fortress McTech Penitentiary || Society, Transformers, MULE,
Co-op Student @ Systems Tech. Branch of GTRI || Safety Dance, Reagan...

Darin Johnson

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

>No contest, C++ wins hands down. Java is the slowest language ever,
>because it must be translated into machine specific code before it can be
>used. IT is even slower than Visual Basic. Java really can't even make
>Windows programs. C++ is just much faster and more powerful than Java will
>probably ever be.

Java can easily outrun Visual Basic.

And who cares if it can't make Windows programs? It was designed to
be PORTABLE! Any good progrmmaer MUST learn to write portable
programs before they move on to platform dependent stuff.

That said, Java will still probably die off, mostly because there's
soo many Windows programmers who are dreadfully clueless about
portability and the need for it. It's too easy for them to ignore the
10% market share that can't run windows apps.

And to answer the question - you are doing yourself a grave disservice
by learning only one language! SERIOUSLY reconsider learning only
one! Talk to the best programmers, and none of them are single
language bigots. The "fashionable" languages all become unfashionable
over time anyway - in 5 years, C++ and Java both may be considered old
fashioned. I do 90% of my programming in C actually, it's not as dead
as some would have you believe. COBOL is still the most commonly used
language, even today, and MVS is the system that makes the most money
for programmers. And what keeps experienced programmers alive? The
ability to switch to new languages and operating systems when the
fashion changes. And this is much much easier to do if you're not
stuck to a single view of how to program.

>> In order to maximize the world of programming
>> these days, one must weigh the difference between C++ and Java.

Just saying "maximize" indicates you have the wrong approach. You're
treating programming as a job, not as an art, adventure, or even
something fun. If you don't enjoy programming for its own sake, find
a different job. You have to love what you do for a living, or you'll
go nuts and be miserable. And if you love something, you don't bother
thinking about maximum return for minimum effort.

--
Darin Johnson
da...@connectnet.com

Tim Rush

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

In article <5f2bn6$c...@catapult.gatech.edu>, gt0...@acmex.gatech.edu (David Edward Eison) wrote:
>: I am interested in knowing what the unbiased opinion it out there...
>: I am considering pouring alot of my resources into a programming
>: education and career. In order to maximize the world of programming

>: these days, one must weigh the difference between C++ and Java.
>: Please choose you pick and tell me why you think it is the way to go.
>
>Java.
>
>C++ is very dangerous and allows the programmer to do far too many stupid
>things (which is why you frequently see "blue screens", page faults, and
>many other crashes in Windows).

This is true, however only stupid programmers do stupid things. A well
developed C++ app is as well behaved as any Java App.

>Java is much "safer." Yes, this also
>means more limiting - you can't do as many hacks and performance tweaks,
>and it will run slower, etc. But in today's world, performance is being
>sacrificed for cost and maintainability (due to simple economics - the
>hardware is cheaper than paying programmers to tweak hacked code), so C++
>is being moved away from. Java is the current future in almost everything
>except for embedded systems and certain real-time applications that simply
>can't afford to sacrifice speed and size.

There will be native compilers for Java for applications which need the speed.
Those where portablity is important will not desire this functionality. C++
will exist for a long time (translate - I will earn money coding in it for
quite a while). Java will increase in poularity (translate - I will earn
money coding in it for quite a while). Since I do contract development I need
to learn both. The only bias I have towards a language is the rate I can
charge :)

>However, which language you pick shouldn't be totally important. Here at
>Georgia Tech they begin by teaching students with a fake language that has
>no compiler - the concepts are important, the syntax is not.

Agree 100%

>Again, Java
>will be better to learn with, because it enforces proper programming style
>a LOT better than C++ does.

False. You can write badly structured Java code. Java does not force good
object oriented techiniques, it only stops run-away pointers. A poorly
developed class structure can exist in Java just as easily as C++. Learn
Obejct Oriented techniques using both C++ and Java. I personally found the
transition from C++ to Java very easy, just a new syntax and class library to
learn. My coding techniques did not change. C++ is probably a harder
language to code in given all the pointer manipulation and quirky syntax it
offers. Java is an excellent language and you will need to know it. Either
language is an excellent forum to learn object oriented techniques (lets not
get into the smalltalk argument please!) so learn one but don't ignore the
other.

Tim Rush tr...@mindspring.com

www.mindspring.com/~trush/sandbox.html

Sid Price

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

gt0...@acmex.gatech.edu (David Edward Eison) wrote:

>: I am interested in knowing what the unbiased opinion it out there...
>: I am considering pouring alot of my resources into a programming
>: education and career. In order to maximize the world of programming
>: these days, one must weigh the difference between C++ and Java.
>: Please choose you pick and tell me why you think it is the way to go.
>
>Java.

I get really frustrated when I see questions like this posted because
no programming language can be said to be "better" than any other when
the question is asked out of the context of the application.

Each language has features that help particular areas of application.
As stated in the previous message, there really is no substitue for a
fundamental understanding of the nature and science of programming.
Before "pouring alot of my resources ..." into a specific language or
philosophy of programming I strongly suggest that you aquire a firm
fundamental base for the techniques of programming. Later, when
presented with a specific programming task you will then be equiped to
examine the choices available and make a choice of language and
environment that suite the application.

Good luck,
Sid

--
Sid Price - sidp...@softtools.com
Software Tools for Embedded System Development

Lukasz Foltyn

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

w...@ct2.nai.net napisał(a) w artykule <3315d86...@news.nai.net>...
> Hello,

> I am interested in knowing what the unbiased opinion it out there...
> I am considering pouring alot of my resources into a programming
> education and career. In order to maximize the world of programming
> these days, one must weigh the difference between C++ and Java.
> Please choose you pick and tell me why you think it is the way to go.

C++ is good for writting typical and most common applications, especially
system utilities. JAVA is designed for programming in Internet, but I think
that this language hasn't as much future as it has been told. Look at the
WEB pages- how many of them use JAVA applets? How many of JAVA applets
would't be replaced by easier and more effective tools (eg. animate GIFs or
ActiveX objects)? etc. etc.
Microsoft at first started to join the JAVA enthusiasm, but now I think
that Microsoft has moved his accent to the Visual Basic as standard for WEB
pages applets. I think that VB is better for this purpose, becouse it's
easier are known for many PC users. VB isn't an abstract project, this is
connected with the MS Office family, and has its own life. This is a logic
way to integrate it with Internet. Internet is changing quickly, and I'm
sure that JAVA and other technologies aren't the last and ultimate answers.
JAVA will die or become a small island on the computer world.
This is my position, You may have your own and different.
Any comments?

Lukasz Foltyn
lfo...@mks.com.pl

John Grant

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97
Yes. I think you're almost completely wrong. :)

Seriously, I think you underestimate the momentum that Java has.
Search the web for Java sites and have a look at some of them, to
get an idea of how popular Java has become.

For me, the most useful part of Java is the awt. After decades
of screwing around with kludges and re-writing apps to run on
Windows/Motif/Mac, there is finally an API for the GUI part of
an app that is portable across other operating systems. It's not
an add-on or a bolt-on or an emulator - it's part of the language
and that is worth a lot to me.

As for Java vs VB, Netscape vs Explorer, ActiveX vs JavaBeans,
really I couldn't care less. Both Microsoft and Netscape are
to be condemned for going their separate ways and screwing up
the HTML 'standards'.

But for the original poster, I don't think the language (C++ or
Java or ??) is as important as learning basic programming skills
and design skills. Those skills are useful for any language.
Although some of these skills can be taught, many of them can
only be learned through experience and writing (and discarding)
hundreds of thousands of lines of code. It's the best way to
really learn the craft of programming.

C++ & Java are similar so if you learn one, you can easily pick
up the other.
--
John A. Grant * I speak only for myself * jag...@nrcan.gc.ca
Airborne Geophysics, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa

Dave Postill

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97
to John Grant

------------20164B5834AF12

John Grant wrote:

> In article <01bc2414$d83614a0$LocalHost@default> "Lukasz Foltyn" <lfo...@mks.com.pl> writes:
> >w...@ct2.nai.net napisał(a) w artykule <3315d86...@news.nai.net>...
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am interested in knowing what the unbiased opinion it out there...
> >> I am considering pouring alot of my resources into a programming
> >> education and career. In order to maximize the world of programming
> >> these days, one must weigh the difference between C++ and Java.
> >> Please choose you pick and tell me why you think it is the way to go.
> >
> >C++ is good for writting typical and most common applications, especially
> >system utilities. JAVA is designed for programming in Internet, but I think
> >that this language hasn't as much future as it has been told. Look at the

> >Any comments?
> Yes. I think you're almost completely wrong. :)

> For me, the most useful part of Java is the awt. After decades
> of screwing around with kludges and re-writing apps to run on
> Windows/Motif/Mac, there is finally an API for the GUI part of
> an app that is portable across other operating systems. It's not
> an add-on or a bolt-on or an emulator - it's part of the language
> and that is worth a lot to me.

The AWT API may be portable but the behaviour on different run times
[see Byte, Jan 97, p71].

For an alternate GUI API take a look at Vibe from Visix Software
<www.visix.com>.

> As for Java vs VB, Netscape vs Explorer, ActiveX vs JavaBeans,

> --
> John A. Grant * I speak only for myself * jag...@nrcan.gc.ca
> Airborne Geophysics, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa
> If you followup, please do NOT e-mail me a copy: I will read it here.

--
-- davep

Dave Postill Email: [personal] <mailto:da...@visix.com>
Consultant/European Support [support]<mailto:supp...@visix.com>
Visix Software (UK) Ltd Direct: +44 (0) 171 753 2843
1 Northumberland Avenue Switchboard: +44 (0) 171 872 5825
Trafalgar Square Fax: +44 (0) 171 753 2720
London, WC2N 5BW Web: <http://www.visix.com/>
------------20164B5834AF12

BEGIN:VCARD
FN:Dave Postill
N:Postill;Dave
ORG:Visix Software (UK) Ltd
ADR:;;1 Northumberland Avenue, Trafalgar Square ;London;;WC2N 5BW
EMAIL;INTERNET:da...@visix.com
TITLE:Consultant/European Support
TEL;WORK:+44 (0) 171 753 2843
TEL;FAX:+44 (0) 171 753 2720
TEL;HOME:+44 (0) 181 940 2402
X-MOZILLA-HTML:T
END:VCARD

------------20164B5834AF12--

Jeff Ferguson

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

>C++ is very dangerous and allows the programmer to do far too many stupid
>things (which is why you frequently see "blue screens", page faults, and
>many other crashes in Windows).

C++ is dangerous only in the hands of those that don't know what they're doing.

--
Jeff Ferguson, MCPS/WOSSA
Senior Consultant, Logicon Technologies International

Dean Roddey

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

John Grant wrote:

Yes. I think you're almost completely wrong. :)

> Seriously, I think you underestimate the momentum that Java has.
> Search the web for Java sites and have a look at some of them, to
> get an idea of how popular Java has become.
>
> For me, the most useful part of Java is the awt. After decades
> of screwing around with kludges and re-writing apps to run on
> Windows/Motif/Mac, there is finally an API for the GUI part of
> an app that is portable across other operating systems. It's not
> an add-on or a bolt-on or an emulator - it's part of the language
> and that is worth a lot to me.

I won't bore the folks here with a rebuttal, but I suggest you come over
to java.programmer and join the discussion there. Java is not all its
cracked up to be and I'm basically representing the doubters over there.
One more pro-Java person will just make my job that much more
interesting. Momentum is hype. Hype does not write programs. Java has
many technical shortcomings that will prevent it from ever getting
beyond the trivial applet stage (unless it gives up many of the
attributes that make it appropriate for those types of net'able
applets.) As someone whose done a lot of work in the portable API
category, I can tell you that what Sun thinks its going to do and what
it will actually do are two different things. Java's AWT will *always*
be just an least common denominator layer that never takes advantage of
the more advanced operating systems (because it then would not be
portable back to the less advanced ones, which are the ones that sell
the most.) There are really multiple argument here that make it hard to
argue about this point. Java the language is one thing, Java the
portable byte code engine is another, and Java the portable API is yet
another.

------------------------------------
Dean Roddey
dro...@ng.netgate.net

Preston L Bannister

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

"Greg Truax" <tr...@canisius.buffalo.ny.us> wrote:

>No contest, C++ wins hands down. Java is the slowest language ever,
>because it must be translated into machine specific code before it can be
>used. IT is even slower than Visual Basic. Java really can't even make
>Windows programs. C++ is just much faster and more powerful than Java will
>probably ever be.

Fifteen years ago you would have heard almost exactly the same
argument for writing code in assembly language versus compiled code
(Pascal or C).

How many jobs are there for assembly language programmers today?

Things change...

You want to be able to use either language. In fact, you will want to
be acquainted with C and C++, Java, Visual Basic and HTML at least.

Actually this is the wrong question. Knowing how to program well is a
general skill that is independent of the programming languages with
which you are familiar. Certainly there is a tactical advantage when
job hunting in knowing particular languages.

Rune Moberg

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

In article <slrn5h9ltb...@connectnet1.connectnet.com>,

da...@connectnet1.connectnet.com (Darin Johnson) wrote:
>That said, Java will still probably die off, mostly because there's
>soo many Windows programmers who are dreadfully clueless about
>portability and the need for it. It's too easy for them to ignore the
>10% market share that can't run windows apps.

I guess that I'm one of the "clueless"...

But how can you blame me? I crank out _quality_ _highspeed_ apps using
Delphi within a fraction of the time it would take to do the same in
most other languages/frameworks. I firmly believe I save 90% of my
valuable time by simply using Delphi, even though another langauge/tool
could cover more platforms I'd end up with less time (and money) on
my hands, specially if I'm required to learn the quirks of those platforms
in order to support my customers.

I feel I can say this, because one of the projects that I'm involved
in uses a different OS, a different language&dev tool. It's a nightmare,
and the fact that it's a UN*X like OS using C does _NOT_ help.
The productivity drop is mind boggling! We're seriously considering
implementing the whole application in Delphi first, and then use that
as a specification for the real program (which is to be run on this UN*X
like OS). The development tool we're presented with (on this UN*X like OS)
seems to think the mouse is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's
not. Requiring the developer to click his way through abundant dialogs is a
sure way to encourage the developer to make _bad_ user interfaces.

>for programmers. And what keeps experienced programmers alive? The
>ability to switch to new languages and operating systems when the
>fashion changes. And this is much much easier to do if you're not
>stuck to a single view of how to program.

I'm able to switch, as long as I can convince myself it is for the
better. Switching from Pascal/Delphi to VB, C, C++ or Java is not
an option for me. At this point in time Delphi's competitors are
desperately trying to figure out just what Borland found out all
on their own. Even "the other development team" within Borland don't
seem to get it: You need to combine fast compilation/linking with
a beautifully crafted language which has no speed compromises. C++ Builder
will perhaps gain a considerable market share, but the real winners
are Delphi and Delphi users. (the fastest C/C++ compilers seem unable to
even open _one_ file before Delphi has already done a complete
build of a 70000 lines project)

I also feel that Java is greatly abused these [early] days.
I had to download a 50K Java app over a _slow_ internet connection (it's
hard to effectively transfer packets across the Atlantic these days),
only to discover that it was a complete waste. They could have presented
the same information using a standard HTML page (and animated GIFs if
that's yer game), but _NO!_, they needed to be "fancy" and embed
the whole thing in a Java app! A complete waste of bandwidth!

HTML to me is still the most effective way of distributing information
on the web. Java and ActiveX is just a distraction. A nicely built CGI
application running on the server OTOH...! (Delphi 3.0 will make
it extremely easy to make ActiveX applications. I still hope people will
stick with making CGIs though)

--
=\ homepage @ http://www.qsd.no/staff/rune
*=- R.Moberg, CD-Player Pro info @ http://home.sn.no/home/mobergru

John Grant

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

In article <331734...@visix.com> da...@visix.com writes:
>John Grant wrote:
>>
>> In article <01bc2414$d83614a0$LocalHost@default> "Lukasz Foltyn" <lfo...@mks.com.pl> writes:
>> >w...@ct2.nai.net napisał(a) w artykule <3315d86...@news.nai.net>...

>> >C++ is good for writting typical and most common applications, especially
>> >system utilities. JAVA is designed for programming in Internet, but I think
>> >that this language hasn't as much future as it has been told. Look at the
>> >Any comments?
>> Yes. I think you're almost completely wrong. :)

>> For me, the most useful part of Java is the awt. After decades
>> of screwing around with kludges and re-writing apps to run on
>> Windows/Motif/Mac, there is finally an API for the GUI part of
>> an app that is portable across other operating systems. It's not
>> an add-on or a bolt-on or an emulator - it's part of the language
>> and that is worth a lot to me.
>
>The AWT API may be portable but the behaviour on different run times
>[see Byte, Jan 97, p71].
>
>For an alternate GUI API take a look at Vibe from Visix Software
><www.visix.com>.
Well thanks for the ad for your product. But in your haste to
promote it, you seem to have overlooked the point I was trying
to make: the awt hopefully will allow us to create O/S-independent
GUI apps that are independent of 3rd party libraries, including
yours and those of a dozen other vendors. The primary advantage
of the awt is that it is part of the language specification, not
an afterthought or a bolt-on item.

Furthermore, many people, including me, are extremely reluctant
to write an application using a generic API for a non-existent O/S,
unless that API is part of the language definition as the awt is
for java.

But as you say, the reality may be different than the promise.
The promise is what interests me. I just don't see why we should
have to jump through hoops just to write an app that can be built
easily for Mac/Motif/Windows.

[..overly long .sig with far too many 'credentials' deleted...]

Darin Johnson

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

>The productivity drop is mind boggling! We're seriously considering
>implementing the whole application in Delphi first, and then use that
>as a specification for the real program (which is to be run on this UN*X
>like OS).

That's what RAD is *for*. RAD environments are meant for prototyping
applications, not for creating finished polished apps. (or for one shot
or short lived apps)

But while Delphi is a great system, it's useless for what I do anyway.
I can't even use C++, as that's not on all the systems I program
for (it could be, but I don't have a budget for buying 4 UNIX C++
compilers plus an MVS one; and g++ is a legal headache for proprietary
code). (Plus, nothing I have has a GUI or a database)

>I also feel that Java is greatly abused these [early] days.
>I had to download a 50K Java app over a _slow_ internet connection (it's
>hard to effectively transfer packets across the Atlantic these days),
>only to discover that it was a complete waste. They could have presented
>the same information using a standard HTML page (and animated GIFs if
>that's yer game), but _NO!_, they needed to be "fancy" and embed
>the whole thing in a Java app! A complete waste of bandwidth!

That's the story of the WWW in general. I rarely use it at all anymore,
and suspect the bubble will burst in a year or two. (that's not to say
Java will die, since Java is for more than applets)

--
Darin Johnson
da...@connectnet.com

Andreas Arff

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Now wake up guys. I have to cite The Tao of Programming here.
(http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/infodoc/info.html/etudiants/Cours/2601/Tao/tao.html)
"The Tao gave birth to machine language.
Machine language gave birth to the assembler.
The assembler gave birth to the compiler.

Now there are ten thousand languages. Each language has its purpose,
however humble.
Each language expresses the Yin and Yang of software. Each language has
its place within the Tao.
But do not program in COBOL if you can avoid it."

The questionary wondered which language was the best one to know when he
where to enter
the programming business. It has very little to do with Java applet
download
time over the internet.

I would say, if you have the energy, learn both of them!

However, IMHO, I am getting tired of C++. Not because of the language
itself,
because it is darn good at doing what it is supposed to do. More of the
all
to popular class libraries that swamp us all the time with its all to
useless
OO paradigms. What I am getting at is e.g. the single inheritance model
presented to
us by MFC. After reading "Design Patters" (Eric Gamma et.al. Addison
Wesley?)
I have finally gotten a peek at what OO is all about. So if you are
going for
C++, then learn the language, not some stupifying shrink wrapped OO
library.
Use the above mentioned book to get familiar with the paradigms of OO.

The ultimate question for a programmer is; How can I turn this design
into
a working application/program/executable. Whether you use Java or C++
doesn't
matter. What matters are the limitations posed on you by an eventual
framework
and the operating system you use. Much to often I have found myself
looking at
a design and finding that I cannot implement it literally because the
operating
system and the class library I have used does not support the paradigms
in the
design. I have never found that to be a problem with C++ itself.

Whether you should choose C++ or Java I don't know, but as the Tao says,
do not program Cobol if you can avoid it.

Andreas
--
Andreas Arff
mailto:a...@ergosoft.no or mailto:and...@online.no

EricB98398

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Is it just me, or are the people that are concerned about multiplatform
the ones who're using unpopular platforms?

For those of us in the 95% region of the platform pie chart, we don't want
to make huge compromises to pick up that lucrative 5%.

???

Eric Bergman-Terrell
Personal MicroCosms
8547 E. Arapahoe Road
Suite J-147
Greenwood Village, CO 80112

EricT...@juno.com

Download 16 and 32-bit Windows utilities, games, and astronomy programs from my home page:

http://users.aol.com/ericb98398/index.html

M. Prasad

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

I wonder if anybody is working on a platform independent
GUI library standard for C++. It seems
GUIs have matured enough for platform independent library
standards to emerge (Java AWT is a case in point.)

Rune Moberg

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

In article <slrn5hk87m...@connectnet1.connectnet.com>,

da...@connectnet1.connectnet.com (Darin Johnson) wrote:
>>The productivity drop is mind boggling! We're seriously considering
>>implementing the whole application in Delphi first, and then use that
>>as a specification for the real program (which is to be run on this UN*X
>>like OS).
>
>That's what RAD is *for*. RAD environments are meant for prototyping
>applications, not for creating finished polished apps. (or for one shot
>or short lived apps)

But we don't plan to use Delphi only for the graphical frontend.
We're contemplating prototyping the *whole* thing, so i.e. if in
the future the project would suddenly involve a Win32 based OS,
then our Delphi apps would end up being the one delivered to the
customer instead! The only thing keeping us from using Delphi all
the way on this particular project is that another OS (for now)
is involved. :-(

I use Delphi for everything (CGI, NT services using sockets, db frontends
and just about any Win32 related project). It's not just "another RAD",
after all, D2 did beat VC4 in the TAK benchmark (integer performance)!

>>that's yer game), but _NO!_, they needed to be "fancy" and embed
>>the whole thing in a Java app! A complete waste of bandwidth!
>
>That's the story of the WWW in general. I rarely use it at all anymore,
>and suspect the bubble will burst in a year or two. (that's not to say
>Java will die, since Java is for more than applets)

What I wrote was written in frustration. There are _plenty_ of pages
that are still usable (useful information), however most of them don't
use Java/PassiveX (not that I would notice anymore, I usually disable it).

Dave Postill

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97
to pra...@not4u.polaroid.com

M. Prasad wrote:

[munch]

> I wonder if anybody is working on a platform independent
> GUI library standard for C++. It seems
> GUIs have matured enough for platform independent library
> standards to emerge (Java AWT is a case in point.)

Apologies for the shameless plug, but ...

Take a look at Galaxy from Visix Software. It's standard in the sense
that we are one of the biggest [if not the biggest] vendor of
cross-platform libraries. We run on over 50 platform/compiler
combinations.

See <www.visix.com/> for more info.

Rune Bundesen

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

> C++ is dangerous only in the hands of those that don't know what they're doing.
So true...

C++ and Java are different languages used for different tasks. Java is
still
(and will continue to be) slower than c++, since the bytecode
interpreter
isn't as fast as the compiled assembler. Ok if you create a machine with
java machine code operations, performance might be comparable with C++.
Enough talk...

I use C++ for just about everything except client GUI applets. The force
of
JAVA is that the GUI client will run everywhere, this is important. But
the
clients can talk to a server application written in C++m which does not
have
to run on every type of machine.

You could ask why use c++ if performance is the only plus, just buy
a faster pc! But seen from a functionallity point of view, JAVA
implements
only a small subset of what you can do in c++ {Pointers, Type casts to
name a
few are only available through C}. Pointers may result in errors if not
handled correctly, but then everything does. There is no final answer to
whether you should use C++ or JAVA, I would suggest C++ unless you want
to create a GUI program.

Rune Bundesen
EMail: Rune.B...@i-data.com

M. Prasad

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Dave Postill wrote:

[snip]

> > I wonder if anybody is working on a platform independent
> > GUI library standard for C++. It seems
> > GUIs have matured enough for platform independent library
> > standards to emerge (Java AWT is a case in point.)
>
> Apologies for the shameless plug, but ...
>
> Take a look at Galaxy from Visix Software. It's standard in the sense
> that we are one of the biggest [if not the biggest] vendor of
> cross-platform libraries. We run on over 50 platform/compiler
> combinations.
>
> See <www.visix.com/> for more info.

Methinks you could expand your target market seriously if
you could actually get together with other gui developer
companies and get ANSI and ISO to come out with standards.
(I am not a marketing person, but I get the sense from
talking to marketing folks that sometimes it pays to
co-operate instead of compete -- having a standard makes
your product "serious" and everybody wins!)