Writing a Windows-Versioned File

1 view

dve...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2006, 9:25:11 AM6/19/06
What file formats can Windows recognize version information in?

I'm trying to write a file that isn't necessarily executable, but that
has a version that Windows can recognize. Do I have to use PE format?
If so, does anyone know of any utilities that automate any part of
writing in PE format? I don't want to reinvent any wheels.

Thanks,
-David

Olof Lagerkvist

Jun 19, 2006, 10:13:33 AM6/19/06
dve...@gmail.com wrote:

> What file formats can Windows recognize version information in?
>
> I'm trying to write a file that isn't necessarily executable, but that
> has a version that Windows can recognize. Do I have to use PE format?

Yes.

> If so, does anyone know of any utilities that automate any part of
> writing in PE format? I don't want to reinvent any wheels.

The probably easiest solution for you is to create an .rc script with
the information resource strings you want, compile it using rc.exe to a
.res file and then use link.exe with the /dll and /noentry switches to
create a dummy dll file with only a version resource.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/tools/tools/versioninfo_resource.asp

If you want to write an new PE file with an information resource from
your own application you can take a look at the image helper och debug
helper API and download the PE/COFF specification.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/PECOFF.mspx

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451