Virtual CDROM based on FileDisk

W!NTER$

May 20, 2005, 11:42:25 PM5/20/05
I used FileDisk to virtualize a CDROM drive and mount a protected game
CD image. But the game refused to run. (It could run when I use Daemon
tool with the same image).
I guess the game will read some special sectors information to make
sure the CD is the right copy.
My question is that a virtual CDROM based on FileDisk can support
protected CDs? Becasue I found some IOCTL_CDROM_XXX codes were not
supported in FileDisk's source. I wonder if it could support protected
CDs by modifying the source to support the rest of the IOCTL_CDROM_XXX
codes?

David J. Craig

May 21, 2005, 2:37:41 AM5/21/05
That is stolen code. I hope no one will help you.

"W!NTER$" <wint...@163.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

W!NTER$

May 21, 2005, 8:36:08 AM5/21/05
what do you mean by "stolen code"?

Don Burn

May 21, 2005, 8:42:30 AM5/21/05
This has been covered many times. A gentleman by the name of Jamey Kirby
years ago developed this code (there is still a commercial version of this
from http://www.storagecraft.com ). At the time Jamey developed it he
offered on a forum for reference and research purposes. The current
FileDisk is Jamey's code with Jamey's copyright removed and a GNU one stuck
on. Over the years the have been some changes to this, but the core is
still code stolen by Bo Branten.

Note this is not the only stolen code at the site. Much of the GNU ntifs.h
is taken from copyrighted sources from books without credit. In addition,
Mr. Branten has tried to recruit various people who have posted on file
systems to send him the Microsoft IFS kit, which has a legal agreement
attached to it.

Feel free to use the code, just remember that accepting stolen goods in most
parts of the world makes you at thief yourself.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting

> What do you by "stolen code"?

W!NTER$

May 22, 2005, 7:04:54 AM5/22/05
Thanks for the explanation about the dirty story. Now I agree it's not
moral to work on the code. But my question is still un-resolved.

Shall I ask my question based RamDisk sample? As I know so far, it was
distributed along with DDK as a sample. (If I'm wrong again, please
kindly remind me :p)

If I modify the RamDisk sample to emulate CDROMs, is it possbile to
implement virtual CDROMs that support protected game CD images? Thanks!

Olof Lagerkvist

May 22, 2005, 8:11:46 AM5/22/05
W!NTER$ wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation about the dirty story. Now I agree it's not
> moral to work on the code. But my question is still un-resolved.

Modified FileDisk drivers have been used for many purposes, some people
have added support for encrypted virtual disks, I did some modifications
to make it support ramdisks and to emulate floppy disks and I have also
had some contact with Brantén with some questions etc. But that was
before I heard of this story with the stolen code.

Of the FileDisk code today not many lines could possibly come from the
stolen code. AFAIK CD-ROM support, network support etc was added after
Brantén's first release of FileDisk (the one that may have been stolen).
I may however instead come from other stolen sources, I don't know.

> Shall I ask my question based RamDisk sample? As I know so far, it was
> distributed along with DDK as a sample. (If I'm wrong again, please
> kindly remind me :p)

I cannot find a ramdisk sample driver in W2K3 DDK. Do you know if it may
have been distributed with an older DDK? I have no older DDKs installed
anymore so I have to search my archives to find it in that case.

> If I modify the RamDisk sample to emulate CDROMs, is it possbile to
> implement virtual CDROMs that support protected game CD images? Thanks!

I have done some modifications to VMWare Virtual Floppy Driver, that
could also be a good start:
http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html

But I wonder if that code also may be stolen somewhere... If you look at
the source for 2.1 VFD some parts are very much like the corresponding
parts of FileDisk. Most of the driver code is however clearly not based
on FileDisk.

Maybe Don Burn has some other good advices of where to start when
writing a virtual disk driver?

--
Olof Lagerkvist sm6xmk
ICQ: 724451 @ssa.se

W!NTER$

May 22, 2005, 8:30:23 AM5/22/05
Thanks!

I got the Ramdisk sample from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/4/05.ASP

I just heard people said that Ramdisk was part of the NT4 DDK. I didn't
verify this myself.

Olof Lagerkvist

May 22, 2005, 8:38:14 AM5/22/05
W!NTER$ wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> I got the Ramdisk sample from here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/4/05.ASP

Ok, I will take a look! Thank you!

Phil Barila

May 24, 2005, 1:26:29 AM5/24/05

> Thanks for the explanation about the dirty story. Now I agree it's not
> moral to work on the code. But my question is still un-resolved.
>
> Shall I ask my question based RamDisk sample? As I know so far, it was
> distributed along with DDK as a sample. (If I'm wrong again, please
> kindly remind me :p)

Although it's not going to be as convenient, you might find that the CD-ROM
driver source in the DDK is the best reference to all the IOCTLs you need to
handle to make your virtual CD work for playing games.

> If I modify the RamDisk sample to emulate CDROMs, is it possbile to
> implement virtual CDROMs that support protected game CD images? Thanks!

Sure, it's possible, it just might not be the most efficient or effective
way to get there.

Phil
--
Philip D. Barila Windows DDK MVP