how to create a virtual cdrom drive

jd

Nov 14, 2004, 12:53:35 PM11/14/04

I want to make a cdrom emulator which emulate cdrom from the .iso file
etc...
I think that scsi miniport driver is required.

Or if you know of any way ( other tools ) to emulate cdrom
please let me know.

Thank you in advance

Maxim S. Shatskih

Nov 14, 2004, 2:01:09 PM11/14/04
You will need the full storage port or dirty hacks based on scheduling
zero-time timer call for yourself.

SCSIPORT imposes execution context issues on miniports, which lead to major
problems with hardware-less (and interrupt-less) SCSIPORT's miniports.

Original CD Emulator uses timer hacks.
Paragon (or is it Acronis?) CD emulator is a full storage port.

Here at STC we have the library for full storage ports for sale. It is
called VSPORT and mimicks SCSIPORT, but without the execution context issues.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

James Brown

Nov 14, 2004, 7:56:26 PM11/14/04
Microsoft has an unsupported utility to do this,
called "virtual cdrom control panel"

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/b/6/7b6abd84-7841-4978-96f5-bd58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe

--
James
---

Olof Lagerkvist

Nov 15, 2004, 3:05:32 AM11/15/04
jd wrote:

FileDisk does this. It is open source and if you like you could help the
project with writing a better user interface for mounting/unmounting
files as drives, it does need that...

http://www.insidewindows.info

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Don Burn

Nov 15, 2004, 8:08:54 AM11/15/04
As was pointed out is a recent discussion on this forum, FileDisk is stolen
software. The particular individual Bo Branten stole this software from
Jamey Kirby of StorageCraft. Additionally, he has solicited others to steal
for him. I urge you do nothing to help this individual, his actions hurt
open source, and the industry as a whole.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows 2k/XP/2k3 Filesystem and Driver Consulting

"Olof Lagerkvist" <n...@email.address> wrote in message

Olof Lagerkvist

Nov 15, 2004, 9:41:47 AM11/15/04
Don Burn wrote:

> As was pointed out is a recent discussion on this forum, FileDisk is stolen
> software.

Ok, I did not read all of that thread before so I missed that, but have
read most of it now. I first thought the discussion was about the GNU
IFS headers and not FileDisk.

> The particular individual Bo Branten stole this software from
> Jamey Kirby of StorageCraft. Additionally, he has solicited others to steal
> for him. I urge you do nothing to help this individual, his actions hurt
> open source, and the industry as a whole.

You mean this case is something like the software to run SCO binaries on
Linux where that software may be stolen from SCO by someone at Daimler
Chrysler in a project where Daimler Chrysler had access to some of the
OpenServer source code? AFAIK SCO and Daimler Chrysler have still not
come to an agreement about the case...

Don Burn

Nov 15, 2004, 9:45:43 AM11/15/04
No, I mean that Jamey was nice enough in the early days to send the source
of FileDisk for personal use only out to people. Bo removed Jamey's
identification, slapped on GNU and published it, pure and simple theft. In
my case he contacted me to send him the Microsoft ntifs.h file, I wouldn't,
but again he was stealing.