A solution for device manger error: "Failed to uninstall device. The device may be required"

Lou Basch

Jul 30, 2002, 9:28:50 AM7/30/02
Just had a bad installation of Virtual PC on a windows 2000 System
(which has two network cards). Each time the PC rebooted it recognized
a new device (the virtual pc ethernet emulator) and wanted to insall
the drivers. This in turn caused the system to reboot thus getting me
in a loop with bad drivers and adapters. I disabled the Virtual PC
Emulated Ethernet Switch Driver #no in device manger but could not
uninstall the devices. Each time i got the "Failed to uninstall
device. The device may be required" error.

Finally i found a posting in
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.nt.kernel-mode from Gerald Quammen
(Gerald....@unisys.com) named Re: Uninstall intermediate device
driver. Which had the answer to my problem.

In regedit navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Where i could find a list of my network adapters. The ones i could not
uninstall had for Characteristics the value 0x00000029(41). Apparently
if you change this to 0x00000001(1), it is possible to remove them.

So, thank you Gerald Quammen hopes this may help someone else