text -> table

jon wild

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
I have a large text file I need to convert to a table and use in
Word 97. It's formatted kind of like this:

qwert 0 0 1 5 11 17 243 72 16 2 0 1
asdfg 0 12 23 22 9 2 4 1 0 0 0 0
zxcvb 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 12 13 5 3

where the characters separating fields are spaces, not tabs (and not
always the same number of spaces).

Can anyone tell me how I can get Word to convert this to a table?

Many thanks --Jon

J. Costello

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
You need to do a little work first, then it is an easy process.

Using find/replace, highlight just the text of the table then

find and replace all instances of 2 spaces with 1 space
repeat the process till all double spaces are replaced with one space

Keeping only the text of the table highlighted, then find/replace all
instances of 1 space with 1 tab.

THEN convert the text to a table with the separator as tabs. OR better
still, leave the table as text and highlight just the table and view the
ruler and drag the tab stops to where you want them so you get proper
alignments.

--
J. Costello

"jon wild" <wi...@fas.harvard.edu> wrote in message

jon wild

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
J. Costello <costel...@online.at.nac.net> wrote, in answer to my question
about making a table from space-delimited text columns:

: find and replace all instances of 2 spaces with 1 space

: repeat the process till all double spaces are replaced with one space

: Keeping only the text of the table highlighted, then find/replace all
: instances of 1 space with 1 tab.

Clever! thanks --jon

John A Fotheringham

Nov 29, 2000, 7:10:17 PM11/29/00
>I have a large text file I need to convert to a table and use in
>Word 97. It's formatted kind of like this:
>

>qwert 0 0 1 5 11 17 243 72 16 2 0 1
>asdfg 0 12 23 22 9 2 4 1 0 0 0 0
>zxcvb 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 12 13 5 3
>
>where the characters separating fields are spaces, not tabs (and not
>always the same number of spaces).
>
>Can anyone tell me how I can get Word to convert this to a table?

I have a free utility AscToTab that will convert text like this into
either HTML or RTF tables.

It's functionality is a subset of that offered by my shareware
utilities AscToHTM and AscToRTF which handle more general conversions
of text. The shareware products are more up to date, but AscToTab
should manage this conversion.

The URLs for these products are

http://www.jafsoft.com/asctotab/
http://www.jafsoft.com/asctortf/