Setting up remote X displays with Minix and qemu

Chris Double

Jun 12, 2006, 8:41:13 PM6/12/06
For those running Minix 3 under qemu, here's how I got remote X
working, allowing me to use Firefox, etc in my Minix X11 session.

I used qemu 0.8.1. I tried 0.8.0 and earlier versions and didn't have
any success. When running qemu pass a 'redir' option telling qemu to
forward connections from the host's port 6001 to Minix's port 6000:

qemu -localtime -net user -net nic -hda minix.img -m 256 -boot c -redir
tcp:6001::6000

I use user networking by the way, hence the 'user' and 'nic' -net
options.

>From Minix fire up an X session. I do this by running xdm running under
root. I then log in as my standard username and run 'xhost' to allow
10.0.2.2 to access my display. 10.0.2.2 is the IP address that's mapped
to the host from within qemu. Then ssh to the host machine (again via
10.0.2.2) and export DISPLAY to map to the host's display 1. The redir
line I passed to qemu earlier maps this display port to Minix's display
0. Once that's done you can run X programs from the SSH session and
they will dispay on the Minix X11 client:

minix$ xhost +10.0.2.2
mini$ ssh m...@10.0.2.2

me$ export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:1.0
me$ xclock &