Wanted: formatting under minix: nroff+me or TeX

Lee McLoughlin

May 26, 1988, 6:34:50 PM5/26/88
I'd like to be able to format up text under minix. Yeah I know about
roff. But its not up to the task of coping with an "me" like macro
package, no number registers or conditionals. Most of my stuff (ie: thesis)
is in "me" format

If anyone has managed to create a setup where they can format "me"
documents or a reasonable subset I'd really appreciate it.

Failing that I'm supposed to get into TeX sometime, if I ever get
any free time again! Has anyone put up common-Tex under minix yet?

Lee
--
UKUUCP SUPPORT Lee McLoughlin
"What you once thought was only a nightmare is now a reality!"

Janet: lm...@uk.ac.ic.doc, lm...@uk.ac.ukc
DARPA: lm...@doc.ic.ac.uk (or lmjm%uk.ac....@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk)
Uucp: lm...@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!lmjm

w...@obie.uucp

Jun 1, 1988, 10:21:35 AM6/1/88
In article <3...@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk>, lm...@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) writes:
> I'd like to be able to format up text under minix. Yeah I know about
> roff. But its not up to the task of coping with an "me" like macro
> package, no number registers or conditionals. Most of my stuff (ie: thesis)
> is in "me" format
>
> If anyone has managed to create a setup where they can format "me"
> documents or a reasonable subset I'd really appreciate it.

You might want to take a look at a book published by M&T Books (the
publishers of Dr. Dobb's Journal). The author of Dr. Dobb's "C Chest"
column, Allen Holub, wrote an nroff-clone called NR as a series of
several columns, and the columns were gathered together in a book.

The book and an MS-DOS disk containing the source (in C, of course)
are $29.95 US. The complete title is "NR: An Implementation of the
Unix NROFF Word Processor".

M&T Books,
501 Galveston Dr.
Redwood City, CA 94063

In the US, you can call 800-533-4372 - they take VISA, MC, & AmEx.

> Failing that I'm supposed to get into TeX sometime, if I ever get
> any free time again! Has anyone put up common-Tex under minix yet?

The Austin Code Works lists the source for TeX (Turbo TeX, they call
it) in their latest listings for $170. You can get more info by
mailing to ....!uunet!acw!info.

--
/|\ Barnacle Wes @ Great Salt Lake Yacht Club, north branch
/ | \ @ J/22 #49, _ d_ J_ i_ n_ n_ i

Richard Michael Todd

Jun 3, 1988, 6:50:19 PM6/3/88
In article <2...@obie.UUCP> w...@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>You might want to take a look at a book published by M&T Books (the
>publishers of Dr. Dobb's Journal). The author of Dr. Dobb's "C Chest"
>column, Allen Holub, wrote an nroff-clone called NR as a series of
>several columns, and the columns were gathered together in a book.
I've got a copy of it. Fairly nice nroff clone, with a fairly reasonable
clone of the -ms macros. However if you want to compile it under Minix,
you'll have a problem: the code makes considerable use of floating point
and Minix's C compiler doesn't have a floating point library. I suppose
you could cross-compile, though...
--
Richard Todd Dubious Domain: rmt...@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069 Fido:1:147/1