Proposal For Re Development Of MINIX

Avijit

Oct 17, 2008, 6:03:24 AM10/17/08
hi there....

i would like to repesent my proposal to all the user of the MINIX user
group around the world.

My MINIX Re Development Proposal is -

1. Improve Minix GUI server with a light weight GUI Server.
2. Complete GUI based Installation process.
3. Integrate a Virtualization Solution to MINIX
4. GUI based Enhanced Netwoking Environment.
5. Pre Installed Programming Language and compiler like -PHP,
Python etc...
6. Porting new software to MINIX - Including a Proper Software
Porting Guide.
7. Development of new Productivity Suite, Office suite, E mail
client, Chat Client.
8. Centralized Server/ Daemon / Service management (GUI based).
9. Integrated Development Environment (GUI Based) for Programming
10. Finally, a Graphical File Manager and Resource Manager.

I have missed out so many vital issues. I am expecting Total Support
For MINIX UserGroup.
Please Post Your Valuable Comment on This Group. Your Comment can
Start This Project.

Also, Please Post comment with respective area of contribution and
contact information.
Any idea, contribution appreciated - because i believe we can improve
MINIX with a Complete Range Of Productivity which pulled out MINIX
from University campus to Industry.

Thanks In Advance
Best Regards
~Avijit

hamil...@encompasserve.org

Oct 17, 2008, 2:50:35 PM10/17/08

Good Idea, I personally dont use minix as my main operating
system(just as something to tweak around with) becouse of 1. No office
software(Email, word processing etc.).

luk...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2008, 3:22:50 PM10/19/08
I think this is very good point !!!

1. Improve Minix GUI server with a light weight GUI Server.

Xorg is not good for small mikrokernel OS like Minix3 is. They needs
some small and minix-mikrokernel-server like graphics gui server
something like not function FWE in linux.

http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/fwe.html
http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/

X11 is too big and wants more memory.. and i think is not so cute then
true microkernel gui server

Message has been deleted

Avijit

Oct 20, 2008, 12:45:46 AM10/20/08
@lukves thanks for your reference. before few months ago, when i am
looking for a lightweight desktop for MINIX - that time i have found
EDE Desktop Environment. Please Have a Look On This -

http://equinox-project.org/page

Waiting for Reply :)

~Avijit

kashyap

Oct 20, 2008, 10:02:52 AM10/20/08
Hi Avijit,
One thing I am doing is trying to build Minix using gcc/nasm on a non-
Minix platform - Linux.
The main reason I am doing this is to boost Minix's consumption by the
dev community. You can check out the source here -
svn checkout http://powerpack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ powerpack-read-
only
Please do let me know your comments.
Regards,
Kashyap

Avijit

Oct 22, 2008, 4:56:20 AM10/22/08
hi Kashyap

Thanks for your message. i also appreciate your effort - Great work.
But What is your actual Goal ? do you want to give the cross platform
compatibility to MINIX ? or something else ? if so then i think you
have to crowl the previous postings regarding this subject.

Best Regards.
~Avijit

Siddharth Prakash Singh

Oct 22, 2008, 9:17:00 AM10/22/08
I would like to work on complete GUI installation.
But I need some help to start with .
My email id is sps...@gmail.com

Avijit

Oct 23, 2008, 6:33:42 AM10/23/08
Dear,

Siddharth thanks for your contribution. Please suggest us -

1. What kind of tool / software / programming
language you would like to use on the development process of MINIX GUI
Based Installation Process ?

2. Do you have any plan regarding development ?
if so please share with us.

3. Finally, can i communicate with you via chat ?
(Of course if you dont have any problem :) ) .....

Thanks in Advance
~Avijit

Avijit

Oct 23, 2008, 6:41:16 AM10/23/08
Dear,

Siddharth ..... Still i think there is no Porting JAVA on MINIX. You
already post your wish to Port JVM In MINIX. Very Good Idea.
It is a better idea to develop some software for MINIX with JAVA. Hope
You can Contribute.

Do you Have any plan to Port The GUI Installation process in Java
Based GUI (i mean Swing or Something Like That ?)

Best Regards
~Avijit