slackware installation issue

A Space Monkey

Jan 13, 2002, 2:09:17 AM1/13/02
I have been working with it all day today trying
to expand my horizons. And after an install of Partition Magic 7
which I used to partition with I created a Linux Swap and a Linux EXT2
partition at which point I was able to install.

I'm still having a hard time however, I got several errors during the
end of the 'slack' setup where it was telling me that the this
particular part of the installation of the ISO I downloaded was not
readable, corrupt I guess. Never-the-less I continued installation
because what it was having problems with was just extras.

My new problem is: LILO didn't install I'm my hard drive (if it did
then its not coming up) I have to boot off of a floppy no big deal
though. After I boot off the floppy I get a CLI and it won't load any
kind of a GUI. In the other distros I've looked at it just loads from
the CLI by typing 'KDE' or whatever...

My new questions are: Is the fact that my primary partition is NTFS
the reason that LILO didn't install?
Am I stupid and don't know how to load the GUI in 'slack'?
Any more information is appreciated.

Thanks again.

<I'm posting this to a new thread because I'm afraid my old one is no
longer being viewed... sorry if I'm being impatient.>

Joel Mayes

Jan 13, 2002, 7:28:47 AM1/13/02

Josh

Jan 15, 2002, 5:56:23 AM1/15/02
On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:28:47 -0500, Joel Mayes wrote:

> surn...@yahoo.com (A Space Monkey) writes:
>
>> I have been working with it all day today trying to expand my horizons.
>> And after an install of Partition Magic 7 which I used to partition
>> with I created a Linux Swap and a Linux EXT2 partition at which point I
>> was able to install.
>>
>> I'm still having a hard time however, I got several errors during the
>> end of the 'slack' setup where it was telling me that the this
>> particular part of the installation of the ISO I downloaded was not
>> readable, corrupt I guess. Never-the-less I continued installation
>> because what it was having problems with was just extras.
>>
>> My new problem is: LILO didn't install I'm my hard drive (if it did
>> then its not coming up) I have to boot off of a floppy no big deal
>> though. After I boot off the floppy I get a CLI and it won't load any
>> kind of a GUI. In the other distros I've looked at it just loads from
>> the CLI by typing 'KDE' or whatever...

Once you're at a command prompt, type liloconfig and make sure lilo is
configured correctly. Then when you're done run lilo. This is, of course,
to be done as root.

>> My new questions are: Is the fact that my primary partition is NTFS
>> the reason that LILO didn't install?
>> Am I stupid and don't know how to load the GUI in 'slack'? Any more
>> information is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> <I'm posting this to a new thread because I'm afraid my old one is no
>> longer being viewed... sorry if I'm being impatient.>

> Under linux the GUI is broken up in to seceral parts, but basicaly you
> need two things
> 1. the X server (XFree86) which controls the GUI, and 2. a window
> manager (GNOME, KDE, FVWM etc.) gives you the actual
> windows, menu etc.
>
> so check you have both installed before trying anything, I don't use
> slackware (I would if debian linux wasn't around though), but I'd by
> suprised if their wasn't a simple command to tell you whats installed.

Sort of. All installed packages are named in /var/log/packages. Each file
is just a text file with the full path of where each file went.
Slackware's package mangagement is nice and simple :-).

> anyway,
>
> The command to start the GUI on most linux's is "startx", you will
> however need to configure it first, make sure you have XFree installed,
> and type xf86cfg, or xf86config the first one will give on a GUI to
> configuring the GUI :) the second one will prompt you at the command
> line for your mouse, video card etc.
>
> I would recommend xf86config, the command line setup program as IMHO
> it's a easier to use and more comprehensive.
>

> Cheers
>
> Joel (feel free to mail me OL if you need more help)
>
> - --
> Go ahead try and spam me ...

Welcome to the Slack world and good luck. I'll admit that slack is harder
to use, but it'll get you to learn how stuff really works. Hope you
become a happy slacker.

--Josh

--
Hey, I'm Josh, not spamme; and I'm not at aol, think of me being a
kirkoff.itgo (.com)