Common Lisp for Linux available

Bruno Haible

Oct 9, 1992, 7:07:22 PM10/9/92
A Common Lisp implementation is now available for Linux.

It's not KCL or AKCL: no port of it to Linux succeeded, as far as I know.

It's CLISP, an implementation I've been developing for two years.
I have put it on tsx-11.mit.edu in directory /pub/linux/packages/lisp/.
The executable uses /lib/libc.so.4, so you will have to install HJ's libc-4.1.
The files are in .lzh format, so you will need LHA to unpack it.
(Sorry for this inconvenience, but this _really_ saves space. LHA is on
tsx-11.mit.edu in file /pub/linux/sources/usr.bin/Archivers/lha-1.00.tar.Z.)

The newest versions will always be available via anonymous ftp from
ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de [129.13.115.2], directory
/pub/lisp/clisp/linux/.

CLISP is mostly CLtL1 compliant. For those who want to use CLOS, I also
provide a port of PCL. No other features of CLtL2 or dpANS CL are
currently supported.

Bruno Haible
hai...@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de

Common Lisp for Linux

Common Lisp is
* a convential programming language and an AI language
* interactive
* a Lisp for professional use

Common Lisp programs are
* easy to test (interactive)
* easy to maintain (depending on programming style)
* portable (there is a standard for the language and the library functions)

Our Common Lisp CLISP
* needs only 1.5 MB of memory
* implements 99% of the standard
* can call your preferred editor
* is freely distributable

Common Lisp provides
* clear syntax, carefully designed semantics
* several data types: numbers, strings, arrays, lists, characters, symbols,
structures, streams etc.
* runtime typing: the programmer needn't bother about type declarations,
but he gets notified on type violations.
* many generic functions:
88 arithmetic functions for all kinds of numbers (integers, ratios,
floating point numbers, complex numbers),
44 search/filter/sort functions for lists, arrays and strings
* automatic memory management (garbage collection)
* packaging of programs into modules
* macros: every programmer can make his own language extensions

Our Common Lisp CLISP provides
* an interpreter
* a compiler which makes execution of programs 5 times faster
* all data types with unlimited size (the size need never be declared,
the size of lists and arrays may be changed dynamically)
* integers of arbitrary length, unlimited floating point number precision
* 594 library functions, 542 of them written in C

Get it via anonymous ftp from ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de [129.13.115.2],
directory /pub/lisp/clisp/linux/, or contact
Bruno Haible <hai...@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>.