Focus Stealing

Mark Hobley

Sep 20, 2009, 3:08:02 PM9/20/09
In comp.os.linux.misc Florian Diesch <die...@spamfence.net> wrote:
> With Compiz 0.8.2 the browser comes back when I switch to an empty
> desktop. Switching between windows on the same desktop or switching to a
> desktop that contains windows works as usual.

Ok. Florian, could you do me a favour? I am documenting window manager
behaviour (for an unrelated purpose), and I would like to know the results for
Compiz.

Could you perform a simple launch test on your system, and let me know the
result:

The launch test
===============

Start a terminal application, and from within the terminal window, type
the name of an X application, such as xlogo, xclock, or xcalc, followed
by a space and an ampersand symbol. The terminal window should remain in
focus accepting further keyboard requests. If the application has gained
focus, so that keypresses are now being directed to the application then
the environment supports focus stealing.

Does the newly started application gain focus here, or does the focus
remain with the terminal window?

Results so far:

9wm - Fails the launch test, giving focus to window placement facility
fvwm - Passes the launch test, but fails the javascript test
icewm - Fails the launch test (and the javascript test)
oroborus - Fails the launch test

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

des...@verizon.net

Sep 20, 2009, 7:00:51 PM9/20/09
markh...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Florian Diesch <die...@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> With Compiz 0.8.2 the browser comes back when I switch to an empty
>> desktop. Switching between windows on the same desktop or switching to a
>> desktop that contains windows works as usual.
>
> Ok. Florian, could you do me a favour? I am documenting window manager
> behaviour (for an unrelated purpose), and I would like to know the results for
> Compiz.
>
> Could you perform a simple launch test on your system, and let me know the
> result:
>
> The launch test
> ===============
>
> Start a terminal application, and from within the terminal window, type
> the name of an X application, such as xlogo, xclock, or xcalc, followed
> by a space and an ampersand symbol. The terminal window should remain in
> focus accepting further keyboard requests. If the application has gained
> focus, so that keypresses are now being directed to the application then
> the environment supports focus stealing.
>
> Does the newly started application gain focus here, or does the focus
> remain with the terminal window?
>
> Results so far:
>
> 9wm - Fails the launch test, giving focus to window placement facility
> fvwm - Passes the launch test, but fails the javascript test

If you would like Fvwm to give focus to new windows, use this:

Style * FPGrabFocus

I don't see why anyone would want that though...

Florian Diesch

Sep 20, 2009, 11:41:57 PM9/20/09
markh...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Florian Diesch <die...@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> With Compiz 0.8.2 the browser comes back when I switch to an empty
>> desktop. Switching between windows on the same desktop or switching to a
>> desktop that contains windows works as usual.
>
> Ok. Florian, could you do me a favour? I am documenting window manager
> behaviour (for an unrelated purpose), and I would like to know the results for
> Compiz.
>
> Could you perform a simple launch test on your system, and let me know the
> result:
>
> The launch test
> ===============
>
> Start a terminal application, and from within the terminal window, type
> the name of an X application, such as xlogo, xclock, or xcalc, followed
> by a space and an ampersand symbol. The terminal window should remain in
> focus accepting further keyboard requests. If the application has gained
> focus, so that keypresses are now being directed to the application then
> the environment supports focus stealing.
>
> Does the newly started application gain focus here, or does the focus
> remain with the terminal window?

Depends on the settings for "Focus stealing prevention": The focus
remains if set to "normal" or higher and moves for "low" and "off".

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/pdfrecycle/>