Graphical front end for TeX?

Dale Henderson

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
Hello,

I'm looking for basically a special editor for TeX files. What I want is
someting that resembles a Windows based word proccessor but creates a .tex
output file.
Does any such thing exist and if so where can I find it?

David L. Johnson

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
to nil...@orion.etsu.edu
Try lyrix. It is still alpha, but quite stable and does much of what you want.
Equations are not WYSIWYG, and text is re-formatted for printing, but it does a
very nice job with text, headings, lists, fonts, apacing, etc.

Look on sunsite, in ../apps/editors/ There is supposed to be a binary, which
might or might not be OK, and source if you have Motif.
--

David L. Johnson dl...@lehigh.edu
Department of Mathematics http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html

Billy Chow

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95

Dale> Hello, I'm looking for basically a special editor for TeX
Dale> files. What I want is someting that resembles a Windows based
Dale> word proccessor but creates a .tex output file. Does any such
Dale> thing exist and if so where can I find it?

I don't know of anything like that. But I like to say that I am VERY
happy with emacs (19.28) together with AUC-TeX. It doesn't have nice
little icons but is menu-driven and has a lot of keyboard shorcuts.

/Billy

Matt Nelson

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
stc...@holmes.eng.ox.ac.uk (Billy Chow) writes:

actually, there is such a beast (sort of...). try Lyrix, available at
sunsite.unc.edu (or, preferably, one if its mirrors). it looks like
a word processor, but saves its files as LaTeX documents which use
a few style files to get the job done. the LaTeX code looks pretty
reasonable, too.

i haven't played with it too much, but it's as close to a WYSIWYG TeX as
you will find for linux...

-matt

Jason Robertson

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
In article <STCCMC.95J...@holmes.eng.ox.ac.uk>,

Billy Chow <stc...@holmes.eng.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>Dale> Hello, I'm looking for basically a special editor for TeX
>Dale> files. What I want is someting that resembles a Windows based
>Dale> word proccessor but creates a .tex output file. Does any such
>Dale> thing exist and if so where can I find it?
>
>I don't know of anything like that. But I like to say that I am VERY
>happy with emacs (19.28) together with AUC-TeX. It doesn't have nice
>little icons but is menu-driven and has a lot of keyboard shorcuts.

Actually, there's a shareware program called 'lyrix' that does what he wants,
but it's in the alpha or beta stage. It's on sunsite somewhere, I think the
latest version is 1.02b?
--
What are the three best things in life? To crush the enemy, to see him driven
before you, and to hear the lamentations of his women.

Steven N. Hirsch

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matt Nelson (nel...@hepxvt.ps.uci.edu) wrote:
[...]

I've ftp-ed and installed the static binary for Lyrix, and it looks
promising. Unfortunately, under Linux and X11R6 3.1.1 the cursor is
invisible. Matthias mentions this in the README and suggests
rebuilding with a different swich in the Makefile. Unfortunately, I do
not have Motif available to me :-(.

Could someone out there in net-land build a static, non-ELF, linux
binary of lyrix and place somewhere that is accessible to anonymous
ftp? Much appreciated..

- Steve

|Steven N. Hirsch "Anything worth doing is worth |
|University of Vermont overdoing.." - Hunter S. Thompson|
|Computer Science / EE |

Matthias Ettrich

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
Steven N. Hirsch (hir...@emba-news.uvm.edu) wrote:

: I've ftp-ed and installed the static binary for Lyrix, and it looks

: promising. Unfortunately, under Linux and X11R6 3.1.1 the cursor is
: invisible. Matthias mentions this in the README and suggests
: rebuilding with a different swich in the Makefile. Unfortunately, I do
: not have Motif available to me :-(.

: Could someone out there in net-land build a static, non-ELF, linux
: binary of lyrix and place somewhere that is accessible to anonymous
: ftp? Much appreciated..

I fixed that bug finally (just a forgotten planemask, somebody could
have told me that!). A next release with this fix, a few new features
and maybe better documentation will appear soon (next week, I hope).

This next release will not be shareware anymore, but FREEWARE under the
terms of the GPL.

Matthias
(ett...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)

N J Bailey

Jul 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/26/95
: invisible. Matthias mentions this in the README and suggests
: rebuilding with a different swich in the Makefile. Unfortunately, I do
: not have Motif available to me :-(.

Join the club!

As a matter of fact, I'd like to address a question to Matthias: why
did you use Motif rather than one of the Public Domain widget sets like
Xaw, or even WXWin or XView? Of course, I speak from a position of
ignorance, not having written anything with Motif, but it does get a
bit tedious having all these massive statically-linked programs around!

Perhaps there's some feature of Motif which makes program development
so much simpler. I'm waiting to be converted!

Good luck with the project, anyway!

Nick.

Nick Bailey Telephone: +44 113 233 2057
Lecturer in Electronic Engineering Facsimile: +44 113 233 2032
University of Leeds Home page:
Woodhouse Lane http://www.elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk/njb/N.J.Bailey.html
Leeds LS2 9JT
United Kingdom