Problem mounting DVD

MS

Jul 23, 2006, 10:24:28 AM7/23/06

I've a problem mounting a DVD.

Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD drive
(Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no problems, it
worked fine and the files were all accessible in '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried
booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's with the system BIOS. Oops.
So then I tried booting from a Linux boot floppy disk - the kind to allow
you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not much more. This allowed me to mount
the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but then told me 'no medium is present' in the
drive --when the same DVD was in the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on
my hard disk, and now when I try to mount the drive using the same command
as before it now tells me again that 'no medium is present' in the drive,
when before it worked fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on
another PC) all get the 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.

Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.

Many thanks.

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Jul 23, 2006, 11:07:26 AM7/23/06
MS,

RH has no filesystem type compatible with DVD filesystem.

You need to make boot CD which image is put in the /image directory of
your FC5 install DVD.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Douglas Mayne

Jul 23, 2006, 11:11:24 AM7/23/06

Did you verify your DVD was made correctly? DVD's are harder to get right,
and some writers are better than others. From what I have heard, the
Pioneer drive should be very good. I also thought that Plextor would be
very good, but it produces expensive coasters, in general. Memorex,
LiteOne work fine though, IME.

It's been a while since I was using RH7.2. I am not sure it would handle
the extensions to iso9660 which allow optical to go beyond 650M. Your
DVD disc could be fine, but it if the OS lacks the UDF extensions to
iso9660, then it could report "no media found," as a general error
message. If you could actually boot from the DVD, those messages might
disappear inside the setup platform, and within your new install.

Yesterday, I discovered an interesting utility which makes it possible to
boot cds/dvds when BIOS support is lacking. I read about the method here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Chainloading_a_bootable_CD-ROM_from_GRUB

I was able to make a boot floppy image which encapsulates the method. Let
me know if you'd like me to post that image.

--
Douglas Mayne

MS

Jul 23, 2006, 11:43:17 AM7/23/06
Douglas Mayne emailed this:

Many thanks Douglas. Yes, I verified the DVD burned correctly and I even
mounted it and accessed some files using RH 7.2 before things went wrong
after trying to boot from it, etc.

I would very much like you to give me a copy of the floppy image please.
If possible could you upload it to easy-sharing which is a file sharing
web site, and much less hassle (for both of us) than dealing with files
posted to newsgroups, and you can post the web link it gives you in a
reply in this thread.

http://www.easy-sharing.com/

Many, many, thanks and regards,

MS

MS

Jul 23, 2006, 11:45:28 AM7/23/06
Jan Gerrit Kootstra emailed this:

Thanks Jan. If RH has 'no filesystem type compatible with DVD filesystem'
how come I was (initially) able to mount the DVD and access the files on
it using RH 7.2 before things went wrong after trying to boot from it, etc.??

Thanks and regards,

MS

Douglas Mayne

Jul 23, 2006, 1:00:57 PM7/23/06
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:43:17 +0000, MS wrote:

> Douglas Mayne emailed this:
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:24:28 +0000, MS wrote:

<snip>

> I would very much like you to give me a copy of the floppy image please.
> If possible could you upload it to easy-sharing which is a file sharing
> web site, and much less hassle (for both of us) than dealing with files
> posted to newsgroups, and you can post the web link it gives you in a
> reply in this thread.
>
> http://www.easy-sharing.com/

I'll post it on the web everyone who cares to download it. See below.

> Many, many, thanks and regards,
>
> MS

Thanks for giving me the chance to make this available. This project will
also force me to document what I have done ;-)

I would like to make this download available as a part of an archive of
bootable media that I started earlier this year. The first was a generic
bootable grub cd image which is explained here:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.setup/msg/602040b59e1eac50

That page includes pointers to help available for using grub in
general. It also includes several disclaimers, which are
applicable to this project also, and are repeated below for completeness.

-- NO WARRANTY (A DISCLAIMER) --
Use of this software is subject to the provisions of the GPL license:
http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne2/grub/COPYING

The statement below emphasizes the "No Warranty" provisions of the GPL (see
Sections 11 and 12 of the above document.) This statement applies to this
software project, a bootable floppy image which encapsulates the grub
loader, v0.97 (with subcomponents from smartboot manager, and syslinux as
detailed below.)

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN
NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Here are the specific instructions:

1. Obtain software (compressed image and checksum) here:
http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne2/grub/v0.97/floppy/bf.img.gz
http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne2/grub/v0.97/floppy/md5sums

These are the file sizes:
http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne2/grub/v0.97/floppy/sz
./bf.img.gz 180277
./bf.img 1474560

Note: bf.img is not provided for download.

2. Expand image and verify MD5SUM checksum:
# cat bf.img.gz | gzip -cd >bf.img
# md5sum -c md5sums

These are the correct values:
cf46a40812a517bb252c6cd530b3b1d3 bf.img
ef284253d2834f4a786157fc9dd45c80 bf.img.gz

3. Write the image file to your media. Remember: this is a bootable
floppy _image_. You can create a real floppy might ething like this:

# cat bf.img >/dev/fd0

4. Test booting system with new floppy. See referenced links for more help.
The menu has a single entry: Smart Boot Manager. Grub's basic
command mode can also be used to boot by pressing "c" (for command) when
indicated. Also, the file menu.lst can be edited on your floppy to
setup other default boot entries.

Source Code:
This project uses several components which are part of the Slackware
Linux distribution. Slackware and its associated source are widely
available on the internet. I use the designation <slack mirror> in the
references below to represent any of those repositories. This is an
example of one representative Slackware mirror:
http://mirrors.xmission.com/slackware

Grub:
binary used: <slack mirror>/slackware-10.2/extra/grub/
source: ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-0.97.tar.gz

Syslinux:
binary used: self-compiled binary (memdisk)
source:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/boot/syslinux/syslinux-3.11.tar.bz2

SmartBootManager:
binary used: <slack mirror>/slackware-10.2/rootdisks/sbootmgr.dsk source:
<slack mirror>/slackware-10.2/extra/btmgr-3.7/

Final Notes:
This project uses memdisk, a component of the syslinux project, by H.
Peter Anvin. That project's website is here http://syslinux.zytor.com/

This project uses SmartBootManager written by Suzhe, Lonius, and
Christopher Li.

Thanks for providing this information. It is very helpful:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Chainloading_a_bootable_CD-ROM_from_GRUB

(r) Slackware is a registered trademark of Patrick Volkerding and the
Slackware Linux Project.

MS

Jul 23, 2006, 2:53:15 PM7/23/06
Many thanks, I'll try tomorrow.
Cheers.

Lenard

Jul 23, 2006, 3:57:27 PM7/23/06
MS wrote:

Did perhaps RHL7.2 remove your /dev/dvd device???? It really is not needed
anyway try mounting using the cdrom mountpoint; mount /mnt/cdrom

The main problem is booting the DVD media, try this floppy instead;

http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

--
"A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Jul 23, 2006, 4:22:41 PM7/23/06

"MS" <No.Wa...@No.Spam.Thank.You.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I've a problem mounting a DVD.

[ problems skipped ]

With all the grief you're going through, wouldn't it be easier to do your
installation with FC5 CD's for now?

Robert Heiling

Jul 23, 2006, 4:32:20 PM7/23/06

This sounds like it might be the isolinux problem and bios limitation on that
machine. I used a tool called Smart Boot Manager myself, but I just saw this
suggested in another redhat group:
http://amdg.no-ip.org/slackware/slackware-current/isolinux/sbootmgr/
My own 7.2 install CD will boot, but the FC5 and many others will not on my old
machine.

HTH
Bob

iforone

Jul 24, 2006, 1:37:30 AM7/24/06

Douglas Mayne wrote:
> > Douglas Mayne emailed this:

> I'll post it on the web everyone who cares to download it. See below.

[ snipped mucho relevant info - so find the original ;-) ]

> Final Notes:
> This project uses memdisk, a component of the syslinux project, by H.
> Peter Anvin. That project's website is here http://syslinux.zytor.com/
>
> This project uses SmartBootManager written by Suzhe, Lonius, and
> Christopher Li.
>
> Thanks for providing this information. It is very helpful:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Chainloading_a_bootable_CD-ROM_from_GRUB
>
> (r) Slackware is a registered trademark of Patrick Volkerding and the
> Slackware Linux Project.

Hi Douglas;
Just wanted to say a BIG thanks for all your continued work /
determination / documentation , and for making the projects / results
available -- Keep on, Keepin' on - and Godspeed to you and yours...

Kind Regards

Douglas Mayne

Jul 24, 2006, 7:20:28 AM7/24/06

When I realized this boot floppy uses components from three different
loaders to startup, I _had_ to make one (for curiosity, if nothing else).
It is the "double back flip" of loaders.

Thank you for those kind words, but the real credit should go to the
coders. I am amazed every time I compile a program and realize the work
which has gone into making this free platform a reality.

--
Douglas Mayne

MS

Jul 24, 2006, 1:10:40 PM7/24/06
Douglas Mayne emailed this:

Hi Douglas,

I booted using your floppy into Smart Boot Loader which listed 9 CD-ROM
entries, each gave me an error code of '0x01' except one which gave
'0xAA'. None booted using the FC5 DVD. Oh well, many thanks anyway.

Do you think your grub bootable CD image might enable me to boot from my
FC5 install DVD? Or to do a network connection to another machine with the
FC5 DVD image and install from there?

My problem is essentially that I can't boot with my PC from a DVD or DVD
Drive --I don't know which. Might it be that I just can't boot from the
DVD itself but a CD (EG. FC5 Install CD Disk 1) in my DVD drive might boot
fine?

Also FC5 has 5 floppies to init an installation. If I use these might I
then be able to use the DVD to install or, as before, use a network
connection to the FC5 DVD install image?

What do you think my best bet would be?

Many thanks and regards, and thanks again for all your work in this area.

MS

Jul 24, 2006, 1:23:31 PM7/24/06
Nico Kadel-Garcia emailed this:

Thanks Nico. I had assumed my booting-from-the-FC5-DVD problem was that I
couldn't boot from the DVD drive. Do you think the FC5 CDs will boot from
my DVD drive?

Cheers.

MS

Jul 24, 2006, 1:24:53 PM7/24/06
Robert Heiling emailed this:

Thanks Bob. I tried SMB but it did not work, as detailed in my reply to
Douglas.

Cheers.

MS

Jul 24, 2006, 1:28:01 PM7/24/06
Lenard emailed this:

> MS wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've a problem mounting a DVD.
>>
>> Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
>> the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD drive
>> (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no problems, it
>> worked fine and the files were all accessible in '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried
>> booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's with the system BIOS. Oops.
>> So then I tried booting from a Linux boot floppy disk - the kind to allow
>> you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not much more. This allowed me to mount
>> the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but then told me 'no medium is present' in the
>> drive --when the same DVD was in the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on
>> my hard disk, and now when I try to mount the drive using the same command
>> as before it now tells me again that 'no medium is present' in the drive,
>> when before it worked fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on
>> another PC) all get the 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.
>>
>> Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.

Thanks Lenard.

> Did perhaps RHL7.2 remove your /dev/dvd device???? It really is not needed
> anyway try mounting using the cdrom mountpoint; mount /mnt/cdrom

No the device is there. Mounting to /mnt/cdrom has the same effect as before.

> The main problem is booting the DVD media, try this floppy instead;
>
> http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

Already tried it and a no go. :-( Detailed already in my reply to Douglas.

Cheers.

PS. Apologies to 'linux.redhat.misc' for the duplicated post, I forgot to
reply to all 3 groups.

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Jul 24, 2006, 2:36:58 PM7/24/06

It's a working guess: burning and booting from DVD's has been... awkward,
due to fascinating issues with the format of DVD's, whether DVD+ or DVD-,
what the particular burner and reader are similar enough, etc. It's as bad
as booting CD's used to be years ago: CD's have gotten much more reliable
about it.

Douglas Mayne

Jul 24, 2006, 2:42:55 PM7/24/06

That's weird. I don't know if that is normal or not because I hadn't used
SBM before Saturday. When I tested it, SBM showed only a single CD (which
could be booted by selecting it.

> Do you think your grub bootable CD image might enable me to boot from my
> FC5 install DVD? Or to do a network connection to another machine with
> the FC5 DVD image and install from there?

The grub image on CD includes only the loader. It is most likely
used when no floppy is available and the hard disk has been damaged-
perhaps by installing Windows which has overwritten the MBR. The CD
allows either reinstallation of grub or direct loading the kernel from its
location on the hard disk. There may be other uses, too. However, one
thing it cannot do is link to another CD without the smart boot manager.

> My problem is essentially that I can't boot with my PC from a DVD or DVD
> Drive --I don't know which. Might it be that I just can't boot from the
> DVD itself but a CD (EG. FC5 Install CD Disk 1) in my DVD drive might
> boot fine?
>
> Also FC5 has 5 floppies to init an installation. If I use these might I
> then be able to use the DVD to install or, as before, use a network
> connection to the FC5 DVD install image?
>
> What do you think my best bet would be?
>
> Many thanks and regards, and thanks again for all your work in this area.

Note: comments inline.

I have setup RedHat over the network before. That is probably still an
option with Fedora. I stopped using that distro, so I can't offer current
advice. A quick search reveals this document:
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/

I think you best bet is to either make a complete CD set, or else
do a network install by making the first CD disc only (I am just guessing
that would work.) The network install would use your DVD mounted on
another workstation and be read over the network.

--
Douglas Mayne

iforone

Jul 24, 2006, 6:06:09 PM7/24/06

Douglas Mayne wrote:
> Thank you for those kind words,

very welcome ;-)

> but the real credit should go to the
> coders. I am amazed every time I compile a program and realize the work
> which has gone into making this free platform a reality.

Yes Indeed!! (I have recently done some of my first compiles of some
apps -- amazing ;-)).

Regards

Matt Giwer

Jul 25, 2006, 1:04:42 AM7/25/06
MS wrote:
> Hi,

> I've a problem mounting a DVD.

> Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
> the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD
> drive (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no
> problems, it worked fine and the files were all accessible in
> '/mnt/dvd'.

And you then retyped that after rebooting? You added it to /etc/fstab?

> So I tried booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's
> with the system BIOS.

Why not? If it boots from a CD it can boot from DVD as far as I know. I've done
it.

--
When western nations renounce the right to resistance to foreign occupation
they can honestly demand Palestinians do so.

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Jul 25, 2006, 9:21:25 PM7/25/06
Matt Giwer wrote:
> MS wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I've a problem mounting a DVD.
>
>> Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've
>> burned the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC
>> for a DVD drive (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc
>> /mnt/dvd' no problems, it worked fine and the files were all
>> accessible in '/mnt/dvd'.
>
> And you then retyped that after rebooting? You added it to /etc/fstab?
>
>> So I tried booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's
>> with the system BIOS.
>
> Why not? If it boots from a CD it can boot from DVD as far as I know.
> I've done it.

I've had numerous such failures: "a DVD" can mean so many differences in
DVD+ or DVD-, double-density, cheap disks sold as better quality, subtle
differences in DVD drives, and the drivers to support them, that they're
nowhere near as stable or reliable as CD drives. We're in the position we
were years ago with CD's, where they've become cheap enough to include on
new systems by default but where a lot of fly-by-night operators are making
some ghods-awful devices that no ones worked out the drivers for well enough
to boot with them.

This'll change over time, but for now, I find CD booting to be much more
reliable.

Matt Giwer

Jul 26, 2006, 12:24:58 AM7/26/06

Not arguing but I did it on a nothing special emachine with a DVD drive that
got those very poor reviews. The format is backwards compatible with CDs.

But as I read what he wrote he did not try it. Rather he noted no BIOS option
for DVD rather than CD and went on to something else.

--
America will murder as many Iraqis as required to liberate Iraq from Iraqis.
-- The Iron Webmaster, 3651

MS

Jul 26, 2006, 8:52:52 AM7/26/06
Many, many, thanks for all your advise.