Virtual PC / Virtual Box and accessing Windows files

1 view

John Goche

Aug 1, 2009, 12:34:18 PM8/1/09

Hello,

I was thinking of setting up Linux in Microsoft's Virtual PC
or in Virtual Box. What I would like to know is, if I do this
can I access my windows documents, pictures, music,
video, and so on from within the version of Linux running
within the virtual machine just like I can mount a vfat
partition on a dual boot sytem using the mount command
or is there a slightly different procedure in this case?
I plan to use Windows Vista Home Premium as the
host OS.

Thank you for your responses,

John Goche

Bit Twister

Aug 1, 2009, 12:58:38 PM8/1/09
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:34:18 -0700 (PDT), John Goche wrote:

> in Virtual Box. What I would like to know is, if I do this
> can I access my windows documents, pictures, music,
> video, and so on from within the version of Linux running
> within the virtual machine just like I can mount a vfat
> partition on a dual boot sytem using the mount command
> or is there a slightly different procedure in this case?

No idea about the Vista side of the question, but VirtualBox and linux
has Samba, NFS or Shared Folders which should get you access to host files.

Feel free to look at/through documents and FAQ at http://www.virtualbox.org/

Stefan Patric

Aug 1, 2009, 1:05:44 PM8/1/09

Can't speak of Virtual PC, but with VirtualBox, you can do anything with
the virtual machine that you can do with a real one.

Stef

Don Phillipson

Aug 1, 2009, 1:18:07 PM8/1/09
"John Goche" <johng...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Ubuntu version 9 does this flawlessly (i.e. can read NTFS
as well as FAT32 and mounts drives automatically) and
defaults to a neo-Windows GUI. I like it.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

David W. Hodgins

Aug 1, 2009, 1:29:56 PM8/1/09
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 12:34:18 -0400, John Goche <johng...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> or in Virtual Box. What I would like to know is, if I do this
> can I access my windows documents, pictures, music,
> video, and so on from within the version of Linux running
> within the virtual machine just like I can mount a vfat

With VirtualBox, there are at least three methods you can use
to do this.

Easiest way is to configure which of the hosts directories you
want shared for the guest os. With the guest os being linux,
you'd use "mount -t vboxsf [-o OPTIONS] sharename mountpoint"
to mount the host's shared directory.

Another option is using standard windows/samba sharing, as
the host and guest systems will separate ip addresses, static,
or assigned via dhcp from your router, assuming you have a
router.

In addition, you can share the entire hard drive in raw mode.
See sections "4.6. Folder sharing" and
"9.10. Using a raw host hard disk from a guest" in the user
guide.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 1, 2009, 3:30:56 PM8/1/09

so you SHARE the windows fo;der and mount them using SMBFS or similar.

Bit Twister

Aug 1, 2009, 3:46:20 PM8/1/09
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 20:30:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> so you SHARE the windows fo;der and mount them using SMBFS or similar.

For shared folders in virtualbox look at
http://dlc-cdn-rd.sun.com/c1/virtualbox/3.0.2/UserManual.pdf?e=1249155937&h=1c1b6336dba990627b5e6dc4b521943b
and look under
4 Guest Additions then
4.6 Folder sharing

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 1, 2009, 4:02:20 PM8/1/09
My comment was pretty much aimed at VMware.