Sound on IBM ThinkPad 600E with Fedora 7

juhani....@kolumbus.fi

Jun 24, 2007, 6:29:08 AM6/24/07
Has anybody got sound working on a 600E with Fedora 7 (or FC6)? The
problem with 600E is that its sound card is mis-detected as snd-cs46xx
which it is not - see the links below for explanation.

I have tried for a long time to get sound working on 600E with Fedora
7. I have followed instructions from the following links, although
they are for SUSE and Ubuntu:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=429437
http://www.litljay.com/howtos/600e/

My modprobe.conf is as follows:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
options snd-cs4236 id=first port=0x530 cport=0x538 isapnp=0
mpu_port=-1 fm_port=0x388 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0

alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

And in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist there is a line:

blacklist snd_cs46xx

Now when I issue command "modprobe snd-cs4236" the console floods with
messages:

CS4236+ soundcard not found or device busy

lspci -v shows:

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
Subsystem: IBM CS4610 SoundFusion Audio Accelerator
Memory at 50100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Memory at 50000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

Here IRQ is 9 but everybody else suggests that I should use irq=5 in
modprobe.conf. Is this a problem?

juhani....@kolumbus.fi

Jul 16, 2007, 5:53:21 AM7/16/07
Contrary to what was suggested in http://www.litljay.com/howtos/600e/
I initialized the BIOS, and then disabled Quick Boot. After that the
sound started working!

On Jun 24, 1:29 pm, "juhani.jaak...@kolumbus.fi"