Stuck at login screen after install.

DreamWeaver

Dec 6, 2005, 5:58:07 PM12/6/05
Hi there,

I have just finished installing Suse 10 on VMWare 5.5 and the install
has
gone well.

Here is what the problem is:
After the installation, when you have to create User Accounts, Set Root

Password etc... well I could not complete this as the laptop lost
power.

Now when I start up the machine, I cannot log in as there are no valid
accounts created.

How do I create the accounts and what can I do to get me in the system?

Any help will be really appreciated. Thank you very much!!!

With thanks,
Jainesh Jogia.

mst

Dec 6, 2005, 6:29:54 PM12/6/05
On 6 Dec 2005 14:58:07 -0800 "DreamWeaver" <jaines...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just finished installing

How wonderful - you've now cross-posted
to 3 newsgroups ... congrats!

--
remove MYSHOES to email

sas...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2005, 7:02:04 PM12/6/05

Well... you have multiple options.

First: root account is always there. Try just pressing return at the
password prompt in case password field is set to empty.

Second: Use the linux install cd (type "linux restore" at the boot
prompt) and go through the process. By the time you are given the
linux prompt, your hard drive partition containing the linux
installation should have been found and mounted on /mnt/oldroot or some
name like that. You then use the "chroot" command to change your root
to the one on your harddrive. You should now be logged in as root in
your linux installation that you cannot get into. You then change
passwords, create account, etc. etc. etc.

Third: If you can't use the install CD, then find yourself a copy of
Knoppix and boot off of it, and then mount your hard drive partition
containing your linux installation and then modify the etc/passwd file
on your linux installation to get things done (a bit tricky).

Fouth: re-install?

DreamWeaver

Dec 6, 2005, 9:31:52 PM12/6/05
Hello... well I tried all that, it did not work for me so I am now on
option 4... and it is happening as we speak... hopefully the power does
not go kaput again. Thank you very much for your help though.

To the person who did not like my cross posting, well I did and you can
either accept the fact or you can move on with life. My reason for
cross posting was to ellicit as many answers a possible so "..|.." :)
"Have an awesome day!!!"

sas...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2005, 2:07:59 AM12/7/05

hmmm... I was sure the second option would work. Did you ever get to
the "chroot" stage?