How RedHat's Linux Can Defeat Micr$oft's Windoze

Egg Troll

Jun 8, 2002, 7:23:37 PM6/8/02

I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good. In fact I got an A-
in my programming class last term. But I'm a little wary of how much
power Microsoft has in the computer field. Many of my friends use
RedHat and I've recently installed it on my machine at home. Although
I haven't had as much chance to play with it as I'd like, I've been
greatly impressed.

This weekend I gave some thoughts to the things that are wrong with
Linux. I hope no one minds having some flaws pointed out. I'd like to
help make RedHat stronger so it can conquer MS. Hopefully RedHat will
hear this (crossing fingers) and address these. I think with a little
effort, RedHat's Linux can defeat Microsoft's Windows! :)

To begin with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat.
Browsing a list on Amazon, I saw they made varients under the
codenames of Mandrake, Debian and Slackware, just to name a few. I
know that I'm very new to RedHat so maybe this is obvious but it seems
like RedHat should just sell a few different flavors of its operating
system. Perhaps one for the desktop and one for a server? Could
someone explain why RedHat produces dozens of different versions of
Linux?

Secondly did you know that anyone can view the source code to Linux! I
think that RedHat shouldn't make its code available. After all, what
keeps Microsoft from stealing RedHat's ideas and putting it into
Windows? My friend says that FreeBSD stole the TCP/IP stack from DOS a
long time ago and Microsoft is always looking for revenge for that.
Plus it seems to me like RedHat is just giving away its ideas for
free. And what keeps hackers or terrorists from tampering with the
code and putting a virus in every computer?

On a related note, why doesn't RedHat write Linux in assembly? My
friend says that's what Microsoft does for Windows, and that's why
Windows is faster and more stable than Linux.

Next RedHat definitely should kill -9 (ha, ha!) the command line.
Microsoft finally gave up DOS when Windows 2000 came out. I'm suprised
that RedHat hasn't migrated away from...whatever its version of DOS is
called (Bash, I think?) But maybe this is planned for a future
release?

Finally Linux needs games! RedHat will never be successful in the home
without games. They should also tell M$ to release a version of Office
for Linux too. And Internet Explorer!

Have a nice day! Go Linux!!

--
Egg Trool: The most intellegent teenage programmer on the Internet!
eggt...@yahoo.com

Richard Revis

Jun 8, 2002, 8:57:53 PM6/8/02
Egg Troll wrote:

> To begin with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat.
> Browsing a list on Amazon, I saw they made varients under the
> codenames of Mandrake, Debian and Slackware, just to name a few. I
> know that I'm very new to RedHat so maybe this is obvious but it seems
> like RedHat should just sell a few different flavors of its operating
> system. Perhaps one for the desktop and one for a server? Could
> someone explain why RedHat produces dozens of different versions of
> Linux?

<chuckle>

> On a related note, why doesn't RedHat write Linux in assembly? My
> friend says that's what Microsoft does for Windows, and that's why
> Windows is faster and more stable than Linux.

I almost ruined another keyboard when I read that.

Well done! Funniest thing I have read all day! A+

--
Windows and UNIX are both multi user systems, just with UNIX you get to
know who the users are.

Richard Thrippleton

Jun 8, 2002, 8:33:31 PM6/8/02
In article <4e2f159f.02060...@posting.google.com>, Egg Troll wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
>Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good. In fact I got an A-
>in my programming class last term. But I'm a little wary of how much
>power Microsoft has in the computer field. Many of my friends use
>RedHat and I've recently installed it on my machine at home. Although
>I haven't had as much chance to play with it as I'd like, I've been
>greatly impressed.
>
>This weekend I gave some thoughts to the things that are wrong with
>Linux. I hope no one minds having some flaws pointed out. I'd like to
>help make RedHat stronger so it can conquer MS. Hopefully RedHat will
>hear this (crossing fingers) and address these. I think with a little
>effort, RedHat's Linux can defeat Microsoft's Windows! :)
>
>To begin with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat.
>Browsing a list on Amazon, I saw they made varients under the
>codenames of Mandrake, Debian and Slackware, just to name a few. I
>know that I'm very new to RedHat so maybe this is obvious but it seems
>like RedHat should just sell a few different flavors of its operating
>system. Perhaps one for the desktop and one for a server? Could
>someone explain why RedHat produces dozens of different versions of
>Linux?
This was the best bit! I love these, keep them coming :-)
And I'd just like to apologise on behalf of all my linux using
colleagues here who just can't take a joke.

Richard

alt

Jun 8, 2002, 8:54:03 PM6/8/02
Egg Troll wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy the following drivel:

> Hi,

*SNIP*

> Finally Linux needs games! RedHat will never be successful in the home
> without games. They should also tell M$ to release a version of Office
> for Linux too. And Internet Explorer!
>
> Have a nice day! Go Linux!!
>
> --
> Egg Trool: The most intellegent teenage programmer on the Internet!
> eggt...@yahoo.com

Well... either this is a really bad troll or a really good joke! :)

Keep up the humour!
--
Linux: Because you can!

All Rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAAAH!"

Yan Seiner

Jun 8, 2002, 8:44:52 PM6/8/02
On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 20:57:53 -0400, Richard Revis wrote:

> Well done! Funniest thing I have read all day! A+

It's good to see someone else who can appreciate EggTroll. I get tired
of all the serious replies to his wacky and hilarious posts.

--Yan

Kenneth Downs

Jun 8, 2002, 9:01:27 PM6/8/02
Egg Troll wrote:

> Hi,

<snip>

Your best yet! An A+, bringing your cumulative GPA to A-

--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

bowman

Jun 8, 2002, 9:23:36 PM6/8/02
Egg Troll wrote:

> My friend says that FreeBSD stole the TCP/IP stack from DOS a
> long time ago and Microsoft is always looking for revenge for that.

MS already has taken revenge by leaving very subtle rattraps in their stack
implementation for those hopeless geeks that have read some of Stevens'
books and think they know how TCP/IP works.....

XKiTo

Jun 8, 2002, 10:01:26 PM6/8/02

Richard Revis wrote:

> Egg Troll wrote:
>
>> To begin with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat.
>> Browsing a list on Amazon, I saw they made varients under the
>> codenames of Mandrake, Debian and Slackware, just to name a few. I
>> know that I'm very new to RedHat so maybe this is obvious but it seems
>> like RedHat should just sell a few different flavors of its operating
>> system. Perhaps one for the desktop and one for a server? Could
>> someone explain why RedHat produces dozens of different versions of
>> Linux?
>
> <chuckle>
>
>> On a related note, why doesn't RedHat write Linux in assembly? My
>> friend says that's what Microsoft does for Windows, and that's why
>> Windows is faster and more stable than Linux.
>
> I almost ruined another keyboard when I read that.
>
> Well done! Funniest thing I have read all day! A+

yep nice laught...no comments

mjt

Jun 8, 2002, 10:59:40 PM6/8/02

timeOday

Jun 8, 2002, 11:24:02 PM6/8/02

I have already squandered all my best egg jokes on you, but you just keep
coming. I give up!

drumstik

Jun 8, 2002, 11:40:19 PM6/8/02
On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:46:27 -0400, TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:

> You can't be all that intelligent.
>
> Linux has had games for years.
>
> You should replace "egg" with "lame" in yer nym.
>
> Get a clue.
>
> Get a life. We don't care what you think you know.

You should replace all that drivel with "I'm a moron who got

--------|---\ |-------| | | |----- |-----\
| | \ | | | | | | \
| | | | | | | |-- | |
| |---/ | | | | | | |
| | \ | | | | | | /
| | \ |-------| |------ |----- |----- |------/

Yes, that's right! You're too dumb to realize when a troll - WITH
"TROLL" IN HIS NYM - is looking for moronic responses like your own!

Congradulations, everyone is laughing at you!

--
drumstik
www.ameriphreak.com

GreyCloud

Jun 8, 2002, 11:43:18 PM6/8/02

Of course! :-)) That's why I led him to freshmeat.com for
the latest in accu-jacks.

drumstik

Jun 8, 2002, 11:42:27 PM6/8/02
On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:23:37 -0400, Egg Troll wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
> Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good. In fact I got an A-

<snip>

> Finally Linux needs games! RedHat will never be successful in the home
> without games. They should also tell M$ to release a version of Office
> for Linux too. And Internet Explorer!
>
> Have a nice day! Go Linux!!

Bravo! I always enjoy reading your posts, and reading the responses of
MORONS who get all worked up. I swear, I nearly coated my monitor with
Dr Pepper when I read this, it was all I could do to finish it and not
have a rather disconserting 'nasal experience.'

Keep up the good work!

mjt

Jun 8, 2002, 11:43:46 PM6/8/02

rapskat

Jun 9, 2002, 12:52:44 AM6/9/02
Error Log for Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:23:37 -0400: segfault in module "Egg
Troll" - dump details are as follows...

<THUNK!>

--
rapskat - 12:50am up 5 days, 3:49, 6 users, load average: 9.30, 9.33, 9.88
drop the hot to mail me

THE CONCEPT OF FREEDOM IS RELATIVE.

Amaze

Jun 9, 2002, 1:52:35 AM6/9/02
On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:23:37 -0400, Egg Troll wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
> Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good. In fact I got an A-
> in my programming class last term. But I'm a little wary of how much

> --
> Egg Trool: The most intellegent teenage programmer on the Internet!
> eggt...@yahoo.com

LOL!!! That has got the be the funniest troll I've seen in a while. Are
you sure you don't write articles for adequacy.com?

Richard Thrippleton

Jun 9, 2002, 7:51:50 AM6/9/02
I think he does, or at least diary entries as I vaguely remember.
(And it's .org)
Adequacy used to be a damn good troll site, but they've gone a bit
dull and repetitive recently. They need Egg Troll as a regular article
writer to turn this around ;)

Richard

Peter Köhlmann

Jun 9, 2002, 8:11:58 AM6/9/02
TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 03:40:19 GMT, drumstik <ro...@127.0.0.1> Gave us:

>>On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:46:27 -0400, TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:
>>
>>> You can't be all that intelligent.
>>>
>>> Linux has had games for years.
>>>
>>> You should replace "egg" with "lame" in yer nym.
>>>
>>> Get a clue.
>>>
>>> Get a life. We don't care what you think you know.
>>
>>You should replace all that drivel with "I'm a moron who got
>>
>>--------|---\ |-------| | | |----- |-----\
>> || | | | | | |-- | |
>> ||---/ | | | | | | |
>>

> No, I didn't, and your ascii art sucks, dipshit.

>>Yes, that's right! You're too dumb to realize when a troll - WITH
>>"TROLL" IN HIS NYM - is looking for moronic responses like your own!
>

> I have been in usenet longer than you think, dipshit.

Wow, a full 3 days already. Good start!

>>Congradulations, everyone is laughing at you!
>

> The twit can't even spell congrats... and he thinks I give a shit
> what he spews.

So you already lost the argument. If there is something even sillier than
spelling flames, I haven't yet seen it.

Peter
--
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' -
they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.

Jason Baugher

Jun 9, 2002, 10:17:45 AM6/9/02
"TutAmongUs@theholeintheground"
<TutAm...@theheartofthecheopspyramid.hol> wrote in

> On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 03:42:27 GMT, drumstik <ro...@127.0.0.1> Gave us:

>>Bravo! I always enjoy reading your posts, and reading the responses of
>>MORONS who get all worked up. I swear, I nearly coated my monitor with
>>Dr Pepper when I read this, it was all I could do to finish it and not
>>have a rather disconserting 'nasal experience.'
>>

> It's a damned shame that you didn't fukin' drown in it.

>>Keep up the good work!
>

> A true dipshit, you are.

Geez, what a stick in the mud. Get a sense of humor already!

--
Jason Baugher
Virtual Adept Professional Consulting Services

Donovan Hill

Jun 9, 2002, 1:21:47 PM6/9/02
TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 03:42:27 GMT, drumstik <ro...@127.0.0.1> Gave us:
>

>>Bravo! I always enjoy reading your posts, and reading the responses of
>>MORONS who get all worked up. I swear, I nearly coated my monitor with
>>Dr Pepper when I read this, it was all I could do to finish it and not
>>have a rather disconserting 'nasal experience.'
>>

> It's a damned shame that you didn't fukin' drown in it.
>

>>Keep up the good work!
>

> A true dipshit, you are.

Are you in the right group? Or do you want alt.flame... no, you want
alt.dumbass.get.a.life.

--
Linux: Because you can!

All Rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAAHH..."

drumstik

Jun 9, 2002, 11:18:31 PM6/9/02
On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 08:06:17 -0400, TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:

> The twit can't even spell congrats... and he thinks I give a shit
> what he spews.

You took the time to respond. Apparently your panties got bunched.

That flame on my spelling was a bit toasty, though, I better back off
before you break out the big guns. Why, soon you'll be telling 'yo mama'
jokes!

Plonk.

drumstik

Jun 9, 2002, 11:21:38 PM6/9/02
On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 08:07:55 -0400, TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:

> It's a damned shame that you didn't fukin' drown in it.

No, then my message would've read "sdgfffffffffffff" and so on as my face
pressed down on the keyboard. I'm sure my dog would have pressed 'send'
for me after I had parted.

> A true dipshit, you are.

Grr! Look at having those claws clipped, Boscoe, you seem to be a
seething ball of testosterone that needs to lighten up a bit. I prescribe
some ice cream and pudding, simply because it's impossible to be an anal
retentive dick when you're eating pudding. Try it. You'll be three bites
into it and you'll be smiling like you were a kid again.

Unless you're still a kid, which would explain your less-than-mature
attacks...hmm, is someone getting close to puberty?

Anyway, have a good life, because you've recently been inducted into my
killfile.

Angel

Jun 9, 2002, 11:22:24 PM6/9/02

On 8-Jun-2002, drumstik <ro...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:23:37 -0400, Egg Troll wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
> > Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good. In fact I got an A-
> <snip>
> > Finally Linux needs games! RedHat will never be successful in the home
> > without games. They should also tell M$ to release a version of Office
> > for Linux too. And Internet Explorer!
> >
> > Have a nice day! Go Linux!!
>
> Bravo! I always enjoy reading your posts, and reading the responses of
> MORONS who get all worked up. I swear, I nearly coated my monitor with
> Dr Pepper when I read this, it was all I could do to finish it and not
> have a rather disconserting 'nasal experience.'
>
> Keep up the good work!

I am also trying to switch to M$ after using Linux for a bit of time. It's
a bit
hard to master the Active Directory and all the policies and making win2k
server
a true a hosting machine. I am looking at the college courses I am about to
take
and most of them are M$ related. Visual Basic, Networking, VBScipting and
such.

I am also most likely to use M$ in the work-force than *nix. Developing POS
systems
with .NET is so much simpler...

I think it's time for me to smell the coffee and wake up and stop wasting my
time with
linux, mysql and php.

One thing I learned when I mastered graphics and moved on to the web is
stick with what
you are good at and what you feel comfortable... with.

One thing I liked about *nix is the goodies you can add to, and mess around.
IRC
bouncers, IceCast, some good e-commerce GNU (free) programs and many more...

mjt

Jun 10, 2002, 12:47:51 AM6/10/02

Hal Burgiss

Jun 10, 2002, 12:50:21 AM6/10/02
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 03:22:24 GMT, Angel <transn...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I am also most likely to use M$ in the work-force than *nix. Developing POS
> systems with .NET is so much simpler...

"Piece Of Shit" systems? I concur :)

--
Hal Burgiss

Todd

Jun 10, 2002, 6:01:17 AM6/10/02
drumstik <ro...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<pan.2002.06.09.03....@127.0.0.1>...

> On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:23:37 -0400, Egg Troll wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
> > Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good. In fact I got an A-
> <snip>
> > Finally Linux needs games! RedHat will never be successful in the home
> > without games. They should also tell M$ to release a version of Office
> > for Linux too. And Internet Explorer!
> >
> > Have a nice day! Go Linux!!
>
> Bravo! I always enjoy reading your posts, and reading the responses of
> MORONS who get all worked up. I swear, I nearly coated my monitor with
> Dr Pepper when I read this, it was all I could do to finish it and not
> have a rather disconserting 'nasal experience.'
>
> Keep up the good work!

Hehe... I remember a long time ago I posted an article about how a
Neon was the 2nd fastest car after the viper... as in a statement like
"yes, the neon at 90MPH is far faster than a viper at 70MPH."

Wow, couldn't believe how many people got worked up over such an
obvious joke... car enthusiasts are pretty intense too :)

We get all worked up over this OS thing, but I'd use Linux for the
rest of my life if there could just be world peace...

-Todd

Anthony Ventimiglia

Jun 10, 2002, 10:49:02 AM6/10/02
comp.os.linux>>>>>>

> To begin with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat.
> Browsing a list on Amazon, I saw they made varients under the
> codenames of Mandrake, Debian and Slackware, just to name a few. I
> know that I'm very new to RedHat so maybe this is obvious but it seems
> like RedHat should just sell a few different flavors of its operating
> system. Perhaps one for the desktop and one for a server? Could
> someone explain why RedHat produces dozens of different versions of
> Linux?

That was entertaining, You had me going up until this point!

Angel

Jun 10, 2002, 3:36:49 PM6/10/02
> Angel wrote:
>
> > I am also most likely to use M$ in the work-force than *nix.
> > Developing POS systems with .NET is so much simpler...
>
> BWA HAHAHHAHHAHA. that __is__ a good one. typical of most "about to
> take my college courses" types. completely clueless.
>
> > I think it's time for me to smell the coffee and wake up and stop
> > wasting my time with linux, mysql and php.
>
> you're right, please run over to micros~1 and smell the sweet smell
> of *UN*successful security ... this is soooo paramount and most
> young un's never understand it. however, i can understand ... many
> people are taken by the wrath of the micros~1 marketing machine. and
> PLEASE remember, it __IS__ *ALL* marketing ....
>
> > One thing I learned when I mastered graphics and moved on to the
> > web is stick with what you are good at and what you feel
> > comfortable... with.
>
> hehehhee. you go girl ...
>
> > One thing I liked about *nix is the goodies you can add to, and
> > mess around. IRC bouncers, IceCast, some good e-commerce GNU (free)
> > programs and many more...
>
> let's see ... i liked stuff on *nix, but i'm gonna go where i can
> "smell the coffee". BWA HAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

I'm one of those that don't give shit if I can't or can read
as long as I get the big bucks. Yea we had few that
had their MCSE or rumors that they couldn't create accounts.

There are people that follow the *nix relegion and shit,
I'm one that doesn't believe in any but the easiest
simplest one that gets the job done.

I just got me a 1U SuperMicro SuperServer and after
trying out 3 flavors of Unix decided to go with Win2K
server. Took 30 minutes to patch up everything ...
Eventually I will load SQL Server on it and database
will be a breeze without fking around with lame ass
php and mysql like I used to.

I must be out of my mind to go into a corporation
and tell them dump Oracle, dump all NT servers
and IIS and switch to *Nix.. HAHAHAHA you
lamers make me laugh...

They pay 90,000/year in just having Oracle by
their side/tech support just in case they have
major issues.

Yes they also run Unix/Sparc Solaris but
most of the programming and backend stuff
is NT and JAVA.

As long as Billy assures me a job in the
market I will learn M$ and all the stuff
the industry requires... why don't you go
online @ monster.com/ dice.com and few other
sites and see how many ask for UNIX and how
many for Windows Based...

pewp

Jun 10, 2002, 6:14:54 PM6/10/02
> > To begin with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat.
> > Browsing a list on Amazon, I saw they made varients under the
> > codenames of Mandrake, Debian and Slackware, just to name a few. I
> > know that I'm very new to RedHat so maybe this is obvious but it seems
> > like RedHat should just sell a few different flavors of its operating
> > system. Perhaps one for the desktop and one for a server? Could
> > someone explain why RedHat produces dozens of different versions of
> > Linux?

I didn't know someone could be so stupid...

mjt

Jun 10, 2002, 6:49:56 PM6/10/02

Jim Lascola

Jun 11, 2002, 12:16:24 AM6/11/02
eggt...@yahoo.com (Egg Troll) wrote in message news:<4e2f159f.02060...@posting.google.com>...

> Hi,
>
> I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
> Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good. In fact I got an A-
> in my programming class last term. But I'm a little wary of how much
> power Microsoft has in the computer field. Many of my friends use
> RedHat and I've recently installed it on my machine at home. Although
> I haven't had as much chance to play with it as I'd like, I've been
> greatly impressed.

Dewd do you think the average reader is gonna be mystified by your
poor attempt at "Reverse Psychology"???????????

the average Joe Reader is Intelligent dont they tell you these things
at Microsoft Marketing School?

Do us all a favor
Get A Life/GF/Hobby
Jim

GreyCloud

Jun 11, 2002, 12:20:47 AM6/11/02

All the real smart ones don't need to go to monster.com.
You always network. If you're good you'll get picked up by
someone else. Unix requires fewer sysadmins to get the job
done.

drumstik

Jun 11, 2002, 3:29:51 AM6/11/02
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:16:24 -0400, Jim Lascola wrote:

> Dewd do you think the average reader is gonna be mystified by your poor
> attempt at "Reverse Psychology"???????????

I believe one ? would have been enough

> the average Joe Reader is Intelligent dont they tell you these things at
> Microsoft Marketing School?

Look at his name. What's that? Oh, TROLL. Yes, good sir, you've been
trolled.

Or, if you prefer the acronym YHBT.

> Do us all a favor
> Get A Life/GF/Hobby

What if his hobby is bringing life to his girlfriend? A bit of a
Frankenstein, perhaps?

Gary Smith

Jun 14, 2002, 11:39:51 AM6/14/02
Dude,

It's bad to smoke crack and then leave messages on new groups
explaining how you are an "A" student in some into to typing class
thus you wan't to question the whole Unix <> Windows <> Linux thing.

First off, Linux is not made by RedHat. RedHat is a distribution of
Linux. But I'm sure you have already heard this in this thread...

* Distribution being one method in which Linux is deployed.

Anyways, I would like to say unless you have written software on
different OS's and different languages for at least 5 years don't even
open your mouth. Visual Basic... My grandma can do VB...

If anything, learn at least 3 buzzwords before every mailing a list
group again. Remember that MP3, AVI, Rip and (insert your favorite
file sharing application name here) are not buzzwords.

Johan Lindquist

Jun 14, 2002, 12:39:09 PM6/14/02
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 at 17:39 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,
Gary Smith <gary....@primeexalia.com> suddenly blurted:
> Dude,

YHBT. HTH, HAND.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
6:35pm up 14 days, 12:05, 1 user, load average: 1.31, 1.47, 1.31

The Ghost In The Machine

Jun 14, 2002, 4:46:53 PM6/14/02
Followups.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Egg Troll
<eggt...@yahoo.com>
wrote
on 8 Jun 2002 16:23:37 -0700
<4e2f159f.02060...@posting.google.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
> Basic programmer,

Oooh, an expert. BTW, do you know what "Error 57" is? (No, it's
not related to a sauce. Hint: garage.)

> so I know computers pretty good.

We'll see about that.

01 Please diagram a simple latch using nothing but P- and N-channel
MOSFET transistors. (You can treat each transistor as a simple
on/off switch; N transistors are "on" when the gate voltage is
+V, relative to a substrate "tub" usually hooked to ground;
P transistors require -V relative to their substrate, usually
hooked to +V, which means grounding the gate turns them on.
0 = 0V, 1 = +V. Traditionally, V is either 3.3 or 5 volts, although
transistor fabrication processes as low as about 2.2 volts might
exist by now; I'd have to look.)

For extra credit, diagram how one might lay out the latch on an
N-doped silicon wafer. (Don't worry too much about resistance
and capacitance effects of the traces. Assume that the N transitors
sit in a P-doped tub, and the P transistors do not.
You can use either metal-gate or polysilicate -- not that it
matters much for this relatively simple exercise. :-) Hint:
What needs to cross what where?)
02 Describe what a bidirectional shift register does.
03 What is a clock? How is it used?
04 What is a monitor, and how can it be used within a multithreaded
application or system kernel?
05 Describe why virtual memory is useful.
06 What is the common name for a form of programming that is usually
associated with graphical user interfaces? (Hint: it's not
procedural.)
07 What year was ENIAC developed, and what was its original purpose,
and what technology did it use?
08 What would be the rough equivalent of the ENIAC today,
computationally speaking?
09 What does the term "A20 hack" mean in the context of the PC-AT?
10 List the registers on an Intel 8086 or 8088.
11 What is the absolute worst sorting method?
12 What does "FORTRAN" stand for?

Answers are at the bottom. If anyone answers these questions
with 100% correctness (even I am not sure I qualify!), one
might consider them knowing computers pretty darned well. :-)
But just clicking on a displayed GUI element does not one
an expert make.

> In fact I got an A-
> in my programming class last term. But I'm a little wary of how much
> power Microsoft has in the computer field. Many of my friends use
> RedHat and I've recently installed it on my machine at home. Although
> I haven't had as much chance to play with it as I'd like, I've been
> greatly impressed.
>

> This weekend I gave some thoughts to the things that are wrong with
> Linux. I hope no one minds having some flaws pointed out. I'd like to
> help make RedHat stronger so it can conquer MS. Hopefully RedHat will
> hear this (crossing fingers) and address these. I think with a little
> effort, RedHat's Linux can defeat Microsoft's Windows! :)

> To begin with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat.
> Browsing a list on Amazon, I saw they made varients under the
> codenames of Mandrake, Debian and Slackware, just to name a few.

I suppose SuSE, GenToo, Caldera, and Monkey are also variants of RedHat?

Try again dude. :-)

> know that I'm very new to RedHat so maybe this is obvious but it seems
> like RedHat should just sell a few different flavors of its operating
> system. Perhaps one for the desktop and one for a server? Could
> someone explain why RedHat produces dozens of different versions of
> Linux?

Maybe because RedHat isn't producing these versions?

> Secondly did you know that anyone can view the source code to Linux! I
> think that RedHat shouldn't make its code available. After all, what
> keeps Microsoft from stealing RedHat's ideas and putting it into
> Windows?

Nothing except RMS, Linux, and whatever lawyers they can afford. :-)
The GPL does have some strict conditions if one wants to include
code from a GPL project in your own, though.

> My friend says that FreeBSD stole the TCP/IP stack from DOS a
> long time ago and Microsoft is always looking for revenge for that.

We're sorry, your stupid troll quotient has just been exceeded. :-)

[rest snipped]

The intended answers for pop quiz.

01 A number of answers exist for the latch; the simplest one
might use 4 or 5 P-N transistor pairs, organized into 2 or 3
inverters and two high-impedance switches. A cross-coupled
pair of NAND or NOR gates, with or without an inverter would
also be acceptable; this would also require 8 or 10
transistors. (The extra inverter converts a clock into clockbar.)
02 It holds a value (in binary) that can be shifted when a clock
edge hits. Depending on the model and various interconnects, it
can either shift in only one direction, shift both directions,
or even rotate the bits. Shift registers are commonly used
in a 16550 or 16650 UART, part of a COM or serial port, but
are not limited thereto.
03 A clock drives a good portion of the circuitry in a modern
computer, allowing synchronization of various operations
and data flow. Or, one can put it "a clock is man's method of
ensuring that everything doesn't happen all at once, in a computer". :-)
04 A monitor allows only one thread in at a time into a controlled
program section, protecting critical data that can be corrupted
otherwise if more than one thread tries to edit it.
05 Virtual memory is useful because it's virtual; a program can
use more memory than the computer has RAM. There is of
course the drawback of speed.
06 Event-driven programming.
07 1951 using vacuum tubes or valves; it was originally developed
for military artillery computations.
08 A basic four-function portable calculator, perhaps with sqrt.
I'd have to look.
09 Address line 20 in the PC-AT did some peculiar things, because
of backwards compatibility with the XT (the 8088 could
only address 1 megabyte). I'd have to look up the details now.
The intent is to show one of the kludges in a modern PC.
10 AX(AL, AH), BX(BL, BH), CX(CL, CH), DX(DL, DH), SI, DI, BP, SP,
CS, DS, SS, ES, PC, PSW or flags register. Later addons have
even more registers and concepts such as 'TSS', and of course
extended things to 32 bits (e.g., EAX). The 8086 also had
many limitations on how these registers could be used.
11 Bubble sort, although quicksort comes in a close second on
certain data.
12 FORmula TRANslation. It didn't quite hit the mark as
formulas don't have double-asterisks, DO statements, or
GOTO. :-) But it was a start.

--
ewi...@earthlink.net -- insert random misquote here
EAC code #191 119d:19h:18m actually running Linux.

The Ghost In The Machine

Jun 14, 2002, 4:55:30 PM6/14/02
Followups.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Angel
<transn...@hotmail.com>
wrote
on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 03:22:24 GMT
<QXUM8.58763$wj7.22...@twister.socal.rr.com>:

[snip]

> I am also most likely to use M$ in the work-force than *nix.
> Developing POS systems with .NET is so much simpler...

OK, I gotta ask...are you referring to "point of sale" or
"piece of ..." ?

:-)

[rest snipped]

--
ewi...@earthlink.net -- insert random brown stuff here
EAC code #191 119d:21h:49m actually running Linux.

Jason Baugher

Jun 15, 2002, 10:30:02 PM6/15/02
gary....@primeexalia.com (Gary Smith) wrote in

Don't you recognize a troll when you read it? Geez, the guy even has
"troll" in his name. The other 99% of the people here that read his
message had a good laugh, which is how it was intended....

Jim Morrissey

Jun 19, 2002, 12:55:58 AM6/19/02
I hate to be blunt, but.....GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND GET ANOTHER "A"

-Jim

<eggt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual

> Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good. In fact I got an A-

> in my programming class last term. But I'm a little wary of how much
> power Microsoft has in the computer field. Many of my friends use RedHat
> and I've recently installed it on my machine at home. Although I haven't
> had as much chance to play with it as I'd like, I've been greatly
> impressed.
> This weekend I gave some thoughts to the things that are wrong with
> Linux. I hope no one minds having some flaws pointed out. I'd like to
> help make RedHat stronger so it can conquer MS. Hopefully RedHat will
> hear this (crossing fingers) and address these. I think with a little
> effort, RedHat's Linux can defeat Microsoft's Windows! :) To begin
> with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat. Browsing a list on
> Amazon, I saw they made varients under the codenames of Mandrake, Debian

> and Slackware, just to name a few. I know that I'm very new to RedHat so

> maybe this is obvious but it seems like RedHat should just sell a few
> different flavors of its operating system. Perhaps one for the desktop
> and one for a server? Could someone explain why RedHat produces dozens
> of different versions of Linux?

> Secondly did you know that anyone can view the source code to Linux! I
> think that RedHat shouldn't make its code available. After all, what
> keeps Microsoft from stealing RedHat's ideas and putting it into

> Windows? My friend says that FreeBSD stole the TCP/IP stack from DOS a
> long time ago and Microsoft is always looking for revenge for that. Plus
> it seems to me like RedHat is just giving away its ideas for free. And
> what keeps hackers or terrorists from tampering with the code and
> putting a virus in every computer? On a related note, why doesn't
> RedHat write Linux in assembly? My friend says that's what Microsoft
> does for Windows, and that's why Windows is faster and more stable than
> Linux. Next RedHat definitely should kill -9 (ha, ha!) the command
> line. Microsoft finally gave up DOS when Windows 2000 came out. I'm
> suprised that RedHat hasn't migrated away from...whatever its version of
> DOS is called (Bash, I think?) But maybe this is planned for a future
> release?

> Finally Linux needs games! RedHat will never be successful in the home
> without games. They should also tell M$ to release a version of Office
> for Linux too. And Internet Explorer! Have a nice day! Go Linux!!

Ryan Watson

Jun 19, 2002, 8:51:49 AM6/19/02
"Jim Morrissey" <j...@blade.dyn.optonline.net> wrote in message news:<20020619.005547...@blade.dyn.optonline.net>...

Wow, where to begin with that message? Many different flavors of Red
Hat Linux (Slackware, and Debian?!?!?!?!?!?!) I'm obviously no
English major, but damn!
He's a Visual Basic programmer, hmm... I didn't realize using visual
basic had anything to do with programming. Hahaha. Besides, I wonder
why Red Hat hasn't just gone and told MS to release IE, and Office for
Linux? What the hell is wrong with them? Hahaha... Unbelievable.
Welcome back to the stone age. Mark my words folks, what heralded the
middle ages was a decline in education, and thus a decline in
intelligence. See any parallels to today's society?

Ryan

Anthony Ventimiglia

Jun 19, 2002, 10:08:05 AM6/19/02

It's been nearly Two weeks now and the Trolling continues !

Charles Sullivan

Jun 19, 2002, 5:11:23 PM6/19/02
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:14:29 -0400, TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:55:58 -0400, "Jim Morrissey"
> <j...@blade.dyn.optonline.net> Gave us:

>>I hate to be blunt, but.....GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND GET ANOTHER "A"
>>
>> -Jim
>

> Did you have to quote the entire original message, you clueless,
> top-posting dingbat?

The original message was so funny it deserved to be repeated! I'm
still chuckling over it. I find it hard to believe that anyone
could be so clueless (and suspect that EggTroll really isn't).

Rocketboy

Jun 19, 2002, 5:33:22 PM6/19/02
Charles Sullivan wrote:
> The original message was so funny it deserved to be repeated! I'm
> still chuckling over it. I find it hard to believe that anyone
> could be so clueless (and suspect that EggTroll really isn't).

What was your first clue? The fact that he has "troll" in his name,
perhaps?

mjt

Jun 19, 2002, 9:54:33 PM6/19/02

Anthony Ventimiglia

Jun 20, 2002, 12:07:55 AM6/20/02
boldly stated:

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:11:23 GMT, Charles Sullivan

>>The original message was so funny it deserved to be repeated! I'm
>>still chuckling over it. I find it hard to believe that anyone
>>could be so clueless (and suspect that EggTroll really isn't).
>

> So, that makes you a lame assed, bloated post troll.
>
> It wasn't funny. It was lame. More so even than bathroom humor.

Damn it's been nearly two weeks and someone still can't get over being
trolled! You really need to put it behind you.

Charles Sullivan

Jun 21, 2002, 12:24:36 AM6/21/02
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:46:18 -0400, TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:11:23 GMT, Charles Sullivan

>>The original message was so funny it deserved to be repeated! I'm still
>>chuckling over it. I find it hard to believe that anyone could be so
>>clueless (and suspect that EggTroll really isn't).
>

> So, that makes you a lame assed, bloated post troll.

Whatever that means.

> It wasn't funny. It was lame. More so even than bathroom humor.

So lame it was funny.

Charles Sullivan

Jun 21, 2002, 9:46:34 AM6/21/02
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:41:52 -0400, TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:24:36 GMT, Charles Sullivan
> <cwsu...@triad.rr.com> Gave us:

>>So lame it was funny.
>

> You are an utter retard.

Oh tut-tut, Tut. You seem to take this all too seriously. Have you
forgotten to take your Prozac or do you just get your jollies by insulting
people while hiding behind an alias?

Kwyjibo

Jun 21, 2002, 10:30:54 AM6/21/02

"TutAmongUs@theholeintheground" <TutAm...@theheartofthecheopspyramid.hol>
wrote in message news:nkd6hu07nte5ci0i4...@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:46:34 GMT, Charles Sullivan
> <cwsu...@triad.rr.com> Gave us:
>

> >> You are an utter retard.
> >
> >Oh tut-tut, Tut. You seem to take this all too seriously. Have you
> >forgotten to take your Prozac or do you just get your jollies by
insulting
> >people while hiding behind an alias?
>

> Usenet is an anonymous, public, free speech forum, dipshit. Nobody
> is hiding, either.
>
> My ip info is right there in every post, twit.
>
> IF I were to ever commit a crime on usenet, feel free to use the
> header info to report my criminal activity.
>
> Until then, fuk off, you usenet clueless retard.

And *you* have the gall to accuse Egg Troll of being a troll ?? If your so
called intelligent input to this thread is anything to go by, you would have
to be up for troll of the year! Get a life, wank-stain.

Kwyj.

Serial # 19781010

Jun 24, 2002, 4:08:06 AM6/24/02
Many flavors of RedHat!?!?!?!??! Many distributions of LINUX......
and what is this about Wincrash being faster and more stable than
Linux??? Learn a few things about Linux before you start posting on
the topic budOn 8 Jun 2002 16:23:37 -0700, eggt...@yahoo.com (Egg

Tim Hammerquist

Jun 24, 2002, 5:20:57 AM6/24/02
I'm a bit confused now as to whether I should laugh or cringe.

On 8 Jun 2002 16:23:37 -0700, eggt...@yahoo.com (Egg Troll) wrote:
> I've always used Windowz and I consider myself an exceptional Visual
> Basic programmer, so I know computers pretty good.

I only wish knowing VB indicated some sort of skill or talent with
computers. Then I could get my pet cat a job in software development so
he can start buying the gourmet cat food for himself.

> To begin with, there are too many different flavors of RedHat.
> Browsing a list on Amazon, I saw they made varients under the
> codenames of Mandrake, Debian and Slackware, just to name a few. I
> know that I'm very new to RedHat so maybe this is obvious but it seems
> like RedHat should just sell a few different flavors of its operating
> system. Perhaps one for the desktop and one for a server? Could
> someone explain why RedHat produces dozens of different versions of
> Linux?

This is just such a blatant misrepresentation that it's painful. Or
maybe I just missed the memo where Redhat bought three other competing
distributions? No, I'm sure that would've made the news. ;)

And [each individual distributor] must have seen some truth here,
hence their tendency to release both "Personal" and "Professional", in
addition to occasional "Enterprise" releases.

Perhaps this is what is so frightening to me about Redhat's current
dominance in the linux market: that Redhat _is_ becoming synonymous with
Linux to many people.

> Secondly did you know that anyone can view the source code to Linux!
> I think that RedHat shouldn't make its code available.

HONTO NI?! Wow! We must've missed that in all our excitement! Someone
call RMS and tell him what a ghastly mistake he's making!

> After all, what keeps Microsoft from stealing RedHat's ideas and
> putting it into Windows?

Nothing. Nothing at all. In fact, Windows would be a much better
and more stable system if this were the case. The fact that the GPL
prevents MS from releasing software based on, extending, or using GPL'd
software without also making its source available, however...

> Plus it seems to me like RedHat is just giving away its ideas for free.

Heh. _Redhat's_ ideas. That's a good one.

> And what keeps hackers or terrorists from tampering with the code and
> putting a virus in every computer?

This is such a hilarious misrepresentation of security issues that it's
scare. But the two easiest answers are:

(1) use of permissions on desktop editions
(2) absence of Outlook Express and MSIE

> On a related note, why doesn't RedHat write Linux in assembly? My

Nice! -> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> friend says that's what Microsoft does for Windows, and that's why
> Windows is faster and more stable than Linux.

I'm speechless. I mean, even if Microsoft itself hadn't said the exact
opposite in the Halloween Papers.

And redhat never "wrote" linux, at least not in any method outside of
the bazaar-style development method which Linus led.

> Next RedHat definitely should kill -9 (ha, ha!) the command line.
> Microsoft finally gave up DOS when Windows 2000 came out. I'm suprised
> that RedHat hasn't migrated away from...whatever its version of DOS
> is called (Bash, I think?) But maybe this is planned for a future
> release?

Ha ha! 'kill -9 the command line'! Hee hee. *cough!* *cough!*

(I can feel my brain suffering atrophy with that paragraph...)

Yes, the command line is so old and outdated. I guess that's why in
it's NT release, Microsoft added _more_ (ba)sh functionality to its
CMD.EXE shell, after already basing the original COMMAND.COM on a form
of *nix shell.

But I'm sure [the people actually capable of making the call] will be
tossing out this Unix staple interface in favor of point-and-drool
interfaces very soon. In fact, I hear Redhat will be "writing" a
version of this very thing, codenamed "FrozenHades" in honor of Hell's
recent central air-conditioning system.

> Finally Linux needs games! RedHat will never be successful in the home
> without games. They should also tell M$ to release a version of Office
> for Linux too. And Internet Explorer!

This paragraph is somewhat true, at least as far as games are concerned.
Limited high-end games _does_ hurt linux on desktop systems. But this
is being improved.

Ironically, it was noticing just how much my machine slowed further upon
installation of MS Office 2000 that I decided once and for all to dtich
my Windows partition. It's safe to say I can live without it.
Unfortunately, however, many who work in Microsoft shops can't switch so
cleanly. Hopefully Microsoft will behave (at least a little?) and open
up its document formats...

As for the author, I give this troll low marks for originality, but
average marks for depth of content.

But I admit, I did laugh. =)

Tim Hammerquist
--
"Even a manager can understand HTML."
-- Tim Berners-Lee

Jason Baugher

Jun 24, 2002, 10:52:11 AM6/24/02
Serial # 19781010 <raven...@cox.net> wrote in

> Many flavors of RedHat!?!?!?!??! Many distributions of LINUX......
> and what is this about Wincrash being faster and more stable than
> Linux??? Learn a few things about Linux before you start posting on
> the topic budOn 8 Jun 2002 16:23:37 -0700, eggt...@yahoo.com (Egg
> Troll) wrote:

The troll catches another unsuspecting user. It's SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY!

Charles Sullivan

Jun 19, 2002, 8:37:35 PM6/19/02

Got me there. But it's funny anyway.

Static

Jul 7, 2002, 4:05:05 AM7/7/02
TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote:
> Did you have to quote the entire original message, you clueless,
> top-posting dingbat?

Personally I don't have a problem with people top posting. I may not do it
myself but what IS the point in whining about it? Like HTML mail..it's out
there, Deal with it, you may not like it but, hard as it may be to believe,
your opinions don't really count for much.
there will always be top posters and HTML mailers, live with it and chill
out, there are far more important things in life to get pissed off about
than a simple usenet post :)

Static

Jul 7, 2002, 4:06:02 AM7/7/02
TutAmongUs@theholeintheground wrote: