Printing Problem with Redhat 7.3

Robert B. Gamble

Sep 18, 2002, 4:45:59 AM9/18/02
After upgrading to RedHat 7.3 I am having a problem printing. It is
strange because the problem only happens after a period of time, or
number of print jobs. I have not determined which, or if both contribute
to the problem.

The Problem is that when printing, about one inch of the page prints
correctly, then a line of garbage prints, and the page form feeds, and
garbage is printed at the top of each page.

I have tried unloading and reloading the lpr driver, but that does not
seem to work. If I reboot the system, printing is normal for a period of
time or number of print jobs, then the problem comes back.

Has anybody seen this before, and what can I do to fix the problem?

Printing was working fine before the upgrade. What is different from
restarting the lpr, and rebooting the system? Is there some way to fix
the problem without having to reboot. I don't like having to use the
Microsoft solution to fix such a simple problem.

Thank you,

--
Robert B. Gamble
r...@rbgamble.com

mjt

Sep 18, 2002, 10:32:07 AM9/18/02
On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:45:59 GMT, "Robert B. Gamble" <r...@rbgamble.com> revealed:

> After upgrading to RedHat 7.3 I am having a problem printing. It is
> strange because the problem only happens after a period of time, or
> number of print jobs. I have not determined which, or if both contribute
> to the problem.

well, you successfully crossposted into four NGs and didnt specify
ANY information about your h/w - cant expect many decent answers
without information

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, # Black holes result
skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux", # when God divides the
"C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed" # universe by zero

Robert B. Gamble

Sep 20, 2002, 6:35:00 AM9/20/02
Hardware is irrelevant! But if you must know: AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz 256 Meg
RAM 60 Gig HD Running RedHat Linux 7.3 all up2date items installed Xerox
P8ex printer.

Is that enough, or do you also need the serial numbers?

--
Robert B. Gamble
r...@rbgamble.com

www.rbgamble.com

James Knott

Sep 20, 2002, 6:55:19 AM9/20/02
Robert B. Gamble wrote:

> Hardware is irrelevant! But if you must know: AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz 256 Meg
> RAM 60 Gig HD Running RedHat Linux 7.3 all up2date items installed Xerox
> P8ex printer.
>
> Is that enough, or do you also need the serial numbers?

No. Just your cat's birthday. ;-)

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

mjt

Sep 20, 2002, 3:28:31 PM9/20/02
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:35:00 GMT, "Robert B. Gamble" <r...@rbgamble.com> revealed:

> Is that enough, or do you also need the serial numbers?

___ ___ ___ ___
/ /\ / /\ /__/\ /__/|
/ /::\ / /::\ \ \:\ | |:|
/ /:/\:\ ___ ___ / /:/\:\ \ \:\ | |:|
/ /:/~/:/ /__/\ / /\ / /:/ \:\ _____\__\:\ __| |:|
/__/:/ /:/ \ \:\ / /:/ /__/:/ \__\:\ /__/::::::::\ /__/\_|:|____
\ \:\/:/ \ \:\ /:/ \ \:\ / /:/ \ \:\~~\~~\/ \ \:\/:::::/
\ \::/ \ \:\/:/ \ \:\ /:/ \ \:\ ~~~ \ \::/~~~~
\ \:\ \ \::/ \ \:\/:/ \ \:\ \ \:\
\ \:\ \__\/ \ \::/ \ \:\ \ \:\
\__\/ \__\/ \__\/ \__\/

Anthony Ewell

Oct 6, 2002, 5:56:15 PM10/6/02
to Robert B. Gamble

Robert B. Gamble wrote:
> Hardware is irrelevant! But if you must know: AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz 256 Meg
> RAM 60 Gig HD Running RedHat Linux 7.3 all up2date items installed Xerox
> P8ex printer.
>
> Is that enough, or do you also need the serial numbers?

Hi Robert,

What you are describing sounds like an incompatibility between your
printer and your parallel port. This is a common problem with some
older printers. Basically, to draw an analogy, the hood on your
car started to rattle when you drove too fast: your parallel port
is jamming data at your printer so fast that the printer misses
a character and starts to print garble. (The upgrade may have
caused your parallel port to assume its fastest mode.)

To troubleshoot this:

1) make sire your printer cable is an IEEE-1284 cable. If
not, replace it.

2) go into your motherboard's bios and change your parallel
port's mode back to "standard". (You are probably in either
ECP or EPP, which are the fast modes.) Then, power completely
down, and restart your system.

Let me know how it goes. un-plonk!

--Tony
aew...@gbis.com

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

Robert B. Gamble

Jan 5, 2003, 7:19:01 AM1/5/03
to Robert B. Gamble, Anthony Ewell
The problem seems to have something to do with vmware. If I turn off the
printer everything works. The only problem is now I can't print from
vmware. I guess I'll have to print to a .pdf file then use linux to
print the document file.

Yet another reason Linux is not quite ready for the average user.

Robert B. Gamble wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I found the printer port set to ECP,
> however, as written in my original message, the printer works fine for
> several printing sessions then it would start the 1 inch of good print
> and the remainder of garbage.
>
> The other odd thing is that unloading the lpt driver and reloading it
> had no effect.
>
> I set the BIOS setting to normal. I'll let you know what the results are.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions, I hope this works.

Robert B. Gamble

Feb 13, 2003, 5:43:48 AM2/13/03
to Robert B. Gamble, Anthony Ewell
I found the root cause!

Apparently when vmware loads, it loads something to allow printing from
the vmware session to the printer. Once that loads, the printer goes
into this limited use mode.

I found by disabling the printer in the vmware setup everything works
fine. The only drawback is you can't print from your vmware session.

I can get around this by installing adobe acrobat, printing to a pdf (or
simply print to a ps file) then from linux you can print the pdf or ps file.