Google Groepen ondersteunt geen nieuwe Usenet-berichten of -abonnementen meer. Historische content blijft zichtbaar.

OT: What does ^H^H^H mean?

0 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

mattygfunk

ongelezen,
7 feb 2002, 04:31:5107-02-2002
aan
Hey everyone,
What does ^H^H^H mean?

I've done my google search and the scripts omit the ^ characters
returning "H H" results. I see this referanced everywhere but nowhere
I can find will give it in an obvious context. Google groups will save
me!

Matthew Goodwin

Lurch

ongelezen,
7 feb 2002, 09:10:2207-02-2002
aan
mattygfunk wrote:

From the jargon file:

There is also an accepted convention for `writing under erasure'; the text

Be nice to this fool^H^H^H^Hgentleman,
he's visiting from corporate HQ.

reads roughly as "Be nice to this fool, er, gentleman...", with irony
emphasized. The digraph ^H is often used as a print representation for a
backspace, and was actually very visible on old-style printing terminals.
As the text was being composed the characters would be echoed and printed
immediately, and when a correction was made the backspace keystrokes would
be echoed with the string '^H'. Of course, the final composed text would
have no trace of the backspace characters (or the original erroneous text).

Hope this helped...

--
Home: http://users.skynet.be/bk333466/
OS: Sorcerer Linux (kernel 2.4.17)

mattygfunk

ongelezen,
7 feb 2002, 23:25:5507-02-2002
aan
Thanks Lurch that cleared it up for me. I'll be in on the joke from now on.
Cheers
Matthew Goodwin
0 nieuwe berichten