Firewire + USB card causes trouble when inserted

1 view

venkat.laks...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2005, 10:51:16 AM8/23/05
Hello,

I am having trouble getting Linux to recognize the following PCMCIA
card:
Syba SD-PCB-COM
Chipset: M5271
Product Info: http://www.syba.com/product/43/05/01/
It offers 2 USB2 ports and 2 firewire ports.

When I insert it and run 'cardctl ident 0' [when this card is plugged
into slot 0] I am given the message "no product info available." The
system has no trouble, however, recognizing my wireless PCMCIA card
[linksys wpc11].

What could be the trouble? The card not only refuses to be
recognized, but when I insert it it actually prevents the
otherwise-functional wireless internet card from being recognized as
well. There are windows and mac drivers available for this
troublesome SD-PCB-COM, but unfortunately I'm unsure about how to make
it work under Linux. Is it possible to use the windows drivers to
construct a driver for linux?

I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu. My computer is a IBM
Thinkpad A21m. If anyone can think of any possible solutions, I'd love
to hear them Please contact me at ven...@aya.yale.edu with any
suggestions. I apprecaite it!

Venkat

PS - This is my first post, and I am also completely new to Linux.
Please let me know if I've posted anything incorrectly or if I am
overlooking something obvious.

Jim

Aug 23, 2005, 2:57:01 PM8/23/05

what you're looking for is an Ali M5271 Orangeware driver. Not knowing
which kernel you're running, I'd say google for that + kernel version.
Best way to find out for sure whether the card'll actually run under
Linux is to boot Knoppix 4.0 DVD (has /all/ the drivers under the sun,
so if it's supported, it'll report the chipset and driver); then it'll
just be a case of copying the module to the HD, updating the kernel and
restarting.

On saying that, you could have a power problem with your PCMCIA port.
I've had it happen where I plugged in a PCMCIA hard drive, then a wifi
card, and it fried the bus. No more PCMCIA :(

--
Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

Maybe the Internet has the answers I need. It certainly answered my
questions about wang enhancement.