未讀,
2008年1月16日 凌晨2:06:322008/1/16
收件者:
On 2008-01-16, MohsinHijazee <mohsin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

Does google not work in your universe? Try it out. If you have further
questions feel free to post specifics to the newsgroup.

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Bit Twister

未讀,
2008年1月16日 凌晨2:14:102008/1/16
收件者:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:53:24 -0800 (PST), MohsinHijazee wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

You should not need it. It is to implement a Micro$not "feature"

put avahi daemon in the first box

and moe trin in the author box.

Click the Zeroconf/avahi link.

MohsinHijazee

未讀,
2008年1月16日 清晨7:20:512008/1/16
收件者:

Thank you very much for the tip.
I did the above mentioned thing. Reading it and would let you know
how's it.

Regards

訊息已遭刪除

Moe Trin

未讀,
2008年1月17日 晚上7:44:502008/1/17
收件者:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
article <slrnfosapl....@store.bruce>, Bruce Richardson wrote:

>Bit Twister <BitTw...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>> MohsinHijazee wrote:

>>> Can you explain the function of avahi daemon as I am new to linux?

>> You should not need it. It is to implement a Micro$not "feature"

>Not just Microsoft. Apple have put a lot of effort into the Zeroconf
>idea now and Sun has also contributed.

Apple originated the idea - as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour" in 1997. The
idea was for those times when two people met somewhere, and wanted to
trade files without having a real network available. See the original
version of draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-01.txt from November
2000.

Microsoft thought the concept was great, as it allowed systems to
work when the MSCE (or the average user) had so screwed up the network
configurations that even windoze wouldn't work - and this was added to
win98. Microsoft joined the linklocal working group in 2001 so that
their version would be considered.

Sun (actually Sun Germany) joined later still, but it appears they
were adding sanity checking. Compare the linklocal-04 and
linklocal-07 releases of the draft. For what it's worth, there were
other companies represented on the linklocal working group, such as
Motorola. The main result of this collaboration was RFC3927.

3927 Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 Link-Local Addresses. S. Cheshire,
B. Aboba, E. Guttman. May 2005. (Format: TXT=83102 bytes)

But this didn't deal with name resolution. For that, Apple and
microsoft came up with incompatible solutions, using different IP
addresses and port numbers[1] and even different packet formats. These
were documented in two additional draft families -
draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns from microsoft went through (at least) 47
releases before being introduced as an INFORMATION RFC (RFC4795 - which
describes how it works, but doesn't specify anything meant as a
standard), while Apple worked on draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns
which went through six releases before disappearing). Avahi is one of
several free implementations of the Apple proposal, and therefore isn't
compatible with the windoze version (you'd need to be running Samba and
NETBIOS name resolution for windoze). Both Apple and microsoft warn
that the name service is insecure, suggest different name limitations[2]
though intentionally ignoring those limits, and then drop the fireball
into your lap by saying that you should use some other security
mechanism, but neither bother to include ANY such mechanism.

Old guy
[1] Apple used 224.0.0.251 or its IPv6 equivalent FF02::FB and port
5353, while microsoft uses 224.0.0.252 or its IPv6 equivalent
FF02::1:3 and port 5355.

[2] Apple proposed limiting name resolution to names ending in .local
ONLY, while microsoft proposed using "single-label names" (which is
win-babble for names without a 'dot'). Neither actually implemented
these limitations because they knew lusers would not follow these
limits even if they were aware of them.

MohsinHijazee

未讀,
2008年1月25日 凌晨2:34:582008/1/25
收件者:
On Jan 18, 5:44 am, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
> article <slrnfosapl.8b8.itsbr...@store.bruce>, Bruce Richardson wrote:

Thank you very much! Very elaborate explanation!

0 則新訊息