WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

Wes

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00
I am running Redhat 5.2 with an external modem attached. I have
missed something that allows me to do some support functions remotely.
I dial into the system fine, but when I tried to view a file the first
thing it shows is the message "WARNING: terminal is not fully
functional". The modem is using ttyS0. If I try to edit a file I get
the same message, but most of the time I also get disconnected. Any
help would be appreciated.

Wes

Kevin Martin

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00

What sort of terminal (emulation) does it think you're using? You might try
to force the issue with "export TERM=vt100" or something of that nature.

David Efflandt

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 17:13:19 GMT, Wes <now...@here.com> wrote:
>I am running Redhat 5.2 with an external modem attached. I have
>missed something that allows me to do some support functions remotely.
>I dial into the system fine, but when I tried to view a file the first
>thing it shows is the message "WARNING: terminal is not fully
>functional". The modem is using ttyS0. If I try to edit a file I get
>the same message, but most of the time I also get disconnected. Any
>help would be appreciated.

So what kind of terminal (program) are you using and what is your TERM
env variable at that point? Maybe it is null or Linux does not recognize
it. That may happen if a Windows program tries to say it is 'VT100'
instead of 'vt100'. Linux is case sensitive and doesn't know what a
'VT100' is.

When I log into my ISP, if my TERM is 'linux' I have my login script
change it to 'vt100' because Solaris has no listing for 'linux' terminal.

--
David Efflandt effl...@xnet.com http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/