DEC vt320 --> linux boxen

Siu Ha Vivian Chu

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
hi,
i have a DEC vt320 terminal and i would like to hook it up to the
linux boxen. the cable come with the terminal have a normal phone jack
on one end and a parallel port like socket on the other ends. i can't
seem to find any how-to regarding connecting a terminal to a linux boxen
via parallel port... maybe i am silly, but is it possible?

regards,

vivi.

Theofilu Andreas

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <4dceos$g...@morgoth.sfu.ca>,

Are you sure that the terminal needs a parallel port? Maybe all you need
is a short cable that converts your male plug into a female plug. It could
also be, that the terminal has not a standard serial port (RS232). This
does not mean that it is not serial, but it could be that it is a serial
IEEE488 port. Try to get the manual of your terminal or look carefully
around the phone plug. Maybe you find the name of the port (RS232, V24,
). If there is nothing, take a look inside the terminal. Maybe where
the cable is connected to the board inside you can find something printed
on the card. Be carefull and pull out the plug before you open!
There is high voltage inside a terminal!
If you are very lucky, you can find a wire plan inside the case.
If that all does not help, try to contact an electronic expert and let
him/she look at it.

Hope that helps.
--
Theofilu Andreas
Email: theo...@ping.at

Enjoy the science of Linux!
Genieße die Wissenschaft von Linux!

Joe Novosel

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Siu Ha Vivian Chu (si...@sfu.ca) wrote:
: hi,

: i have a DEC vt320 terminal and i would like to hook it up to the
: linux boxen. the cable come with the terminal have a normal phone jack
: on one end and a parallel port like socket on the other ends. i can't
: seem to find any how-to regarding connecting a terminal to a linux boxen
: via parallel port... maybe i am silly, but is it possible?

: regards,

: vivi.

Check out the SERIAL-HOWTO
You can find it on sunsite or a miror.

--
Joe Novosel

* CS major: College of Computing, *
* Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332 *
* Internet: gt2...@prism.gatech.edu *

Anders Östling

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
si...@sfu.ca (Siu Ha Vivian Chu) wrote:

>hi,
> i have a DEC vt320 terminal and i would like to hook it up to the
>linux boxen. the cable come with the terminal have a normal phone jack
>on one end and a parallel port like socket on the other ends. i can't
>seem to find any how-to regarding connecting a terminal to a linux boxen
>via parallel port... maybe i am silly, but is it possible?

>regards,

A DEC Vt320 has a "normal" RS-232 as well as a DEC MMJ connector. My
advise is; use a straight RS232-RS232 cable, and connect it to the
serial port (also 25-pins RS232) of you Linux box. Then change the
file /etc/inittab so the serial port /dev/ttySx is NOT commented out.
Set the speed to 19200.

Last step, enter the setup screen in the VT and change to "Comm RS232,
data leads only" and speed 19200. This should do it.

/Anders

>vivi.

C Shamis

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96

:
: >hi,
: > i have a DEC vt320 terminal and i would like to hook it up to the
: >linux boxen....
:
: A DEC Vt320 has a "normal" RS-232 as well as a DEC MMJ connector. My
: advise is; use a straight RS232-RS232 cable...
[stuff deleted]

: Last step, enter the setup screen in the VT and change to "Comm RS232,

: data leads only" and speed 19200. This should do it.

Whoaaa.. that won't work, you need a null modem cable. A STRAGHT rs-232
cable will not work. You *MUST* have a null-modem, or direct-linking cable.
(you can get em anywhere).

Plus, you don't want to use just the data leads, you still want flow control
don't you? Allthough it will still work either way, you just might have
garbage on your screen when you do a particularly long "ls -la".

And can't the vt320's do 38400? My vt220 tops out at 19200, (and its not
really 19200 thats for sure.)