RH 7.3 and 3com 3c905c - Transmit error / duplex mismatch / vortex

1 view

jonsed

Nov 23, 2002, 1:40:13 PM11/23/02
Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this one to me:

Running RH 7.3 with 2 3com 3c905c cards, eth0 is the internal lan via 10/100
switch, eth1 is going to a set top box (cable modem) for the internet
connection. Getting this error a lot on eth1 (eth0 seems fine):

*********

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: eth1: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch. See
Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 40627553(1) current
40627555(3)

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: Transmit list 0e2bd280 vs. ce2bd240.

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 0: @ce2bd200 length 800005e2 status 000105e2

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 1: @ce2bd240 length 800005e2 status 000105e2

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 2: @ce2bd280 length 800005e2 status 800005e2

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 3: @ce2bd2c0 length 80000036 status 00010036

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 4: @ce2bd300 length 80000042 status 00010042

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 5: @ce2bd340 length 8000004a status 0001004a

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 6: @ce2bd380 length 80000036 status 00010036

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 7: @ce2bd3c0 length 8000004a status 0001004a

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 8: @ce2bd400 length 80000036 status 00010036

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 9: @ce2bd440 length 800001f4 status 000101f4

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 10: @ce2bd480 length 8000004a status 0001004a

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 11: @ce2bd4c0 length 80000042 status 00010042

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 12: @ce2bd500 length 80000042 status 00010042

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 13: @ce2bd540 length 8000004a status 0001004a

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 14: @ce2bd580 length 80000042 status 00010042

Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: 15: @ce2bd5c0 length 80000042 status 00010042

*********

I dug around the net looking for answers but didnt come up with much, other
than maybe my NIC and whatever device it ends up talking to are not agreeing
on full duplex. But not much info on how severe this is and how to fix it.
The vortex.txt file referred to gives advice about how to force full-duplex
and other options, but it is all a little over my head (sorry!).

Like i say, thanks if anyone can help.

Jeroen Huisman

Nov 23, 2002, 3:47:57 PM11/23/02

"jonsed" <jon...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

> Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this one to me:
>
> Running RH 7.3 with 2 3com 3c905c cards, eth0 is the internal lan via
10/100
> switch, eth1 is going to a set top box (cable modem) for the internet
> connection. Getting this error a lot on eth1 (eth0 seems fine):
>
> I dug around the net looking for answers but didnt come up with much,
other
> than maybe my NIC and whatever device it ends up talking to are not
agreeing
> on full duplex. But not much info on how severe this is and how to fix
it.
> The vortex.txt file referred to gives advice about how to force
full-duplex
> and other options, but it is all a little over my head (sorry!).

You can use mii-tool to verify the settings on you interface.

Jeroen

Michael Buchenrieder

Nov 24, 2002, 5:03:50 AM11/24/02
"jonsed" <jon...@rocketmail.com> writes:

>Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this one to me:

>Running RH 7.3 with 2 3com 3c905c cards, eth0 is the internal lan via 10/100
>switch, eth1 is going to a set top box (cable modem) for the internet
>connection. Getting this error a lot on eth1 (eth0 seems fine):

>*********

>Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: eth1: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.

>Nov 22 21:03:10 pob kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch. See
>Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

[...]

Get the mii-tools from
http://www.scyld.com
and then fix the eth1 card at the correct settings - which should be 10Mbit
halfduplex, as the cable modem service isn't serving anything else AFAIR.

Michael

--
Michael Buchenrieder * mi...@scrum.greenie.muc.de * http://www.muc.de/~mibu