Mozilla Thunderbird - charset of messages

1 view

A Watcher

Apr 22, 2009, 2:35:27 PM4/22/09
When I post a repley to usenet with Thunderbird my messages appear with
the charset of the original message. Is there a way to force it to be
ISO-8859-1 instead. That UTF charset doesn't display well in many browsers.

wisdomkiller & pain

Apr 22, 2009, 4:23:04 PM4/22/09
A Watcher wrote:

From your headers:

Looks like you did it already?
However, a "browser" is not the best means to read usenet news, so don't be
worried too much about the googlegroopers lurking on IE, firefox or others.
Most *real* newsreaders are able to check for 8-bit characters and only
announce 8-bit or utf-8 when they appear in your message.

A Watcher

Apr 22, 2009, 5:41:42 PM4/22/09

I typed browser out of habit, I meant newsreader. Yes when I originate
a message it gets the right charset, but when I reply I seem to get the
charset of the originator.

The Pan newsreader seems to default to the UTF charset and that looks
faint on my PC. I have found how to set the charset in Pan, but I
normally use Thunderbird.

Jakub Fišer

Apr 22, 2009, 4:45:54 PM4/22/09

From where did you get this information exactly?

We're in 21st century - any browser can handle UTF if the page has proper
headers. If something goes wrong then it's usually not a browser problem...

-miky

--
Jakub Fišer AKA m...@MikyMaus.org
ICQ: I don't see kyou - http://icq.xmpp.cz/

Vyhýbejte se, prosím, přílohám typu Word nebo PowerPoint:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.cs.html

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint, etc. attachments:

marrgol

Apr 22, 2009, 5:28:18 PM4/22/09

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
intl.charset.default = ISO-8859-1
mailnews.reply_in_default_charset = true

--
mrg

wisdomkiller & pain

Apr 22, 2009, 5:26:06 PM4/22/09
A Watcher wrote:

> I typed browser out of habit, I meant newsreader. Yes when I originate
> a message it gets the right charset, but when I reply I seem to get the
> charset of the originator.

Your reply this time got 8859-1 as well, with my post ascii (headers, look).

> The Pan newsreader seems to default to the UTF charset and that looks
> faint on my PC. I have found how to set the charset in Pan, but I
> normally use Thunderbird.

There is a default charset setting in thunderbird per server as well, and
don't forget the about:config (advanced) and all the possible charset
settings there.

A Watcher

Apr 23, 2009, 12:39:32 AM4/23/09
Jakub Fišer wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:35:27 -0700, A Watcher <stoc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> When I post a repley to usenet with Thunderbird my messages appear with the
>> charset of the original message. Is there a way to force it to be ISO-8859-1
>> instead. That UTF charset doesn't display well in many browsers.
>
> From where did you get this information exactly?
>
> We're in 21st century - any browser can handle UTF if the page has proper
> headers. If something goes wrong then it's usually not a browser problem...
>
> -miky

The UTF charset shows up really faint and washed out for me, using
Thunderbird or Pan. Perhaps there is a way to ignore the charset of the
message and use what you want.

A Watcher

Apr 23, 2009, 12:42:08 AM4/23/09

Yes, that's the setting that I have.