Which Cygwin Should I use?

W. eWatson

Mar 20, 2009, 6:45:30 PM3/20/09
First questions about Cygwin is I see a 1.7 Beta download version for it,
and references to 1.5 downloads. Where's 1.6? Is it past Beta?
--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

philo

Mar 20, 2009, 6:58:47 PM3/20/09
W. eWatson wrote:
> First questions about Cygwin is I see a 1.7 Beta download version for
> it, and references to 1.5 downloads. Where's 1.6? Is it past Beta?

I'd advise against using any Beta products...so I'd go with the 1.5.25
version...

better still , don't use Cygwin at all,
just install Linux, why not?

W. eWatson

Mar 20, 2009, 8:36:09 PM3/20/09
I need it for a Win application that was compiled in C on Linux.

W. eWatson

Mar 20, 2009, 9:07:12 PM3/20/09
W. eWatson wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> W. eWatson wrote:
>>> First questions about Cygwin is I see a 1.7 Beta download version for
>>> it, and references to 1.5 downloads. Where's 1.6? Is it past Beta?
>>

>> I'd advise against using any Beta products...so I'd go with the 1.5.25
>> version...
>>
>> better still , don't use Cygwin at all,
>> just install Linux, why not?
> I need it for a Win application that was compiled in C on Linux.

I may have not been looking at a download page, but this Red Hat page seems
to have the latest. <http://www.redhat.com/services/custom/cygwin/>.

Keith Keller

Mar 20, 2009, 11:48:13 PM3/20/09
On 2009-03-20, W. eWatson <notv...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> First questions about Cygwin is I see a 1.7 Beta download version for it,
> and references to 1.5 downloads. Where's 1.6? Is it past Beta?

Cygwin is not linux. You should ask on a cygwin forum. Did you know
that they have mailing lists?

http://cygwin.com/lists.html

Be sure to read their warnings about doing your own research before
posting to one of these lists (as you should have before posting an
off-topic question here).

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Mark Hobley

Mar 21, 2009, 1:08:00 AM3/21/09
Keith Keller <kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> Cygwin is not linux. You should ask on a cygwin forum. Did you know
> that they have mailing lists?

This is a problem. There are no English speaking cygwin newsgroups. Try
emitting a control message to create an alt.cygwin group. You may have to ask
your ISP to do this. I am interested in seeing an alt.cygwin group appear.
Alternatively you could try creating comp.cygwin through big8, but you need
access to various usenet newsgroups. I tried this, but it was a load of hassle.
I posted in one group, but replies appear in another group (which I did not
have access to), and people were opposed to the group name for some reason, so
it was not easy. There is a German language newsgroup for Cygwin. You could
probably run your query through babblefish and then paste into that.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

philo

Mar 21, 2009, 4:04:28 AM3/21/09
W. eWatson wrote:
> W. eWatson wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>>

>>> I'd advise against using any Beta products...so I'd go with the
>>> 1.5.25 version...
>>>
>>> better still , don't use Cygwin at all,
>>> just install Linux, why not?
>> I need it for a Win application that was compiled in C on Linux.
>>
> I may have not been looking at a download page, but this Red Hat page
> seems to have the latest. <http://www.redhat.com/services/custom/cygwin/>.

Well, just go for the latest non-Beta version and you should be fine

Bill Marcum

Mar 21, 2009, 10:00:35 AM3/21/09
If you don't want to subscribe to the mailing lists, you could read them
on the gmane.org news server. I don't know if those are in English, but
their names don't indicate otherwise.

Keith Keller

Mar 21, 2009, 12:47:09 PM3/21/09
On 2009-03-21, Bill Marcum <marcu...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> If you don't want to subscribe to the mailing lists, you could read them
> on the gmane.org news server. I don't know if those are in English, but
> their names don't indicate otherwise.

IIRC the cygwin lists are English, so their gates on gmane.org will also
be in English. In the past I found gmane.org up and down, but perhaps
they've gotten more reliable recently. The main problem would be that,
if the mailing lists restrict posting to subscribers, posting through
gmane.org won't work unless you also subscribe to the mailing list.
(Actually, reading gmane's docs, it's not 100% clear that would happen.
But my interpretation is that you still need to subscribe to the mailing
list in order to post via gmane.)

W. eWatson

Mar 22, 2009, 7:52:22 AM3/22/09
Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2009-03-21, Bill Marcum <marcu...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> If you don't want to subscribe to the mailing lists, you could read them
>> on the gmane.org news server. I don't know if those are in English, but
>> their names don't indicate otherwise.
>
> IIRC the cygwin lists are English, so their gates on gmane.org will also
> be in English. In the past I found gmane.org up and down, but perhaps
> they've gotten more reliable recently. The main problem would be that,
> if the mailing lists restrict posting to subscribers, posting through
> gmane.org won't work unless you also subscribe to the mailing list.
> (Actually, reading gmane's docs, it's not 100% clear that would happen.
> But my interpretation is that you still need to subscribe to the mailing
> list in order to post via gmane.)
>
> --keith

Actually, it looks like gmane.os.cygwin looks like it is in English.
However, for some reason I don't seem to able to post there. I get some
crazy msg about cannot save draft or something. I've tried posting with a
real e-mail address and an anonymous one (invalid, as here). new.gmane.org
reader.

I think a larger problem is that I don't even know where to download from.
That is, the page that I thought was for a download doesn't seem to be that
way at all. It seems like RH may have something to do with downloads of it.

Maxwell Lol

Mar 22, 2009, 8:30:09 PM3/22/09
"W. eWatson" <notv...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Keith Keller wrote:
>> On 2009-03-21, Bill Marcum <marcu...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>> If you don't want to subscribe to the mailing lists, you could read
>>> them on the gmane.org news server. I don't know if those are in
>>> English, but their names don't indicate otherwise.
>>

> Actually, it looks like gmane.os.cygwin looks like it is in
> English. However, for some reason I don't seem to able to post
> there. I get some crazy msg about cannot save draft or something. I've
> tried posting with a real e-mail address and an anonymous one
> (invalid, as here). new.gmane.org reader.

It might be a mail to NNTP gateway, where postings on the NNTP group
to NOT get forwarded to the mailing list.

I don't know one way or another. I've just seen some crazy setups.

Grant Edwards

Mar 22, 2009, 11:47:39 PM3/22/09
On 2009-03-23, Maxwell Lol <nos...@com.invalid> wrote:

> "W. eWatson" <notv...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> Actually, it looks like gmane.os.cygwin looks like it is in
>> English.

Indeed it is.

>> However, for some reason I don't seem to able to post there. I
>> get some crazy msg about cannot save draft or something.

Your newsreader is broken or misconfigured. "Or something."

>> I've tried posting with a real e-mail address and an anonymous
>> one (invalid, as here). new.gmane.org reader.

Posting to the cygwin list via gmane works fine.

> It might be a mail to NNTP gateway, where postings on the NNTP
> group to NOT get forwarded to the mailing list.

You can post via gmane. The OP has a broken newsreader.

> I don't know one way or another. I've just seen some crazy
> setups.

At gmane.org?

--
Grant

Grant Edwards

Mar 22, 2009, 11:50:34 PM3/22/09
On 2009-03-21, Keith Keller <kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> IIRC the cygwin lists are English, so their gates on gmane.org
> will also be in English. In the past I found gmane.org up and
> down, but perhaps they've gotten more reliable recently.

I use it daily, and haven't noticed any downtime in the past
couple years.

> The main problem would be that, if the mailing lists restrict
> posting to subscribers, posting through gmane.org won't work
> unless you also subscribe to the mailing list. (Actually,
> reading gmane's docs, it's not 100% clear that would happen.
> But my interpretation is that you still need to subscribe to
> the mailing list in order to post via gmane.)

For a few of the lists, you need to be a subscriber to post.
For most you don't. The info page at gmane.org for the list in
question usually says. For the ones that require posters to
subscribe, the easiest thing to do is subscribe and then turn
list delivery off. Then you can read/post via gmane.

--
Grant

Grant Edwards

Mar 22, 2009, 11:51:08 PM3/22/09
On 2009-03-22, W. eWatson <notv...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I think a larger problem is that I don't even know where to download from.

Where to download what?

> That is, the page that I thought was for a download doesn't
> seem to be that way at all. It seems like RH may have
> something to do with downloads of it.

What is "it"?

Mark Hobley

Mar 23, 2009, 5:08:02 AM3/23/09
W. eWatson <notv...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Actually, it looks like gmane.os.cygwin looks like it is in English.
> However, for some reason I don't seem to able to post there.

Also, gmame is an entity in itself. The articles do not propagate
outside of gmame. If your usenet host is not gmame, then you cannot read or
post articles within those groups.

Grant Edwards

Mar 23, 2009, 10:39:40 AM3/23/09
On 2009-03-23, Mark Hobley <markh...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> W. eWatson <notv...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Actually, it looks like gmane.os.cygwin looks like it is in
>> English. However, for some reason I don't seem to able to
>> post there.
>
> Also, gmame is an entity in itself.

No, it's not. It's a mailing list gateway that's connected to
thousands of mailing lists.

> The articles do not propagate outside of gmame.

Yes, they do. They propogate on the mailing lists that
correspond to the groups.

> If your usenet host is not gmame, then you cannot read or post
> articles within those groups.

Huh? Gmane isn't Usenet. It's a mailing list gateway.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! With YOU, I can be
at MYSELF ... We don't NEED