can not start my system using power button

arnuld

Feb 16, 2009, 10:15:00 AM2/16/09
I turn on the power-button of my cabinet and i don't even get the BIOS
screen, monitor does not even turns on to show me soemthing. The disk-
usage as shown by the red-light of cabinet is 100% bright red light
like if it is continuously accessing the HDD.

Then I press the reset button (because the big power-button does not
work at this time) and it shows me the BIOS screen. I cleaned up the
dirt form the FAN and the heat-sync, I cleaned up the RAM slots, there
was lots of dust on RAMs themselves. Now even after checking the power
connection on the MOBO and the HDD cables (one IDE and one SATA) I
still don't get the BIOS screen at first try. I [B]always[/B] have to
press the reset button after power-button to get my compuetr working.

Any ideas on the this strange issue ?

Baron

Feb 16, 2009, 1:41:53 PM2/16/09
arnuld wrote:

Try a new PSU !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Bill Marcum

Feb 16, 2009, 2:04:33 PM2/16/09

Your computer isn't really turned off, it's suspended and doesn't know
how to wake up. If you press and hold the power button for 5 seconds
it should turn off completely and you can turn it on normally. On most
PCs the power light blinks when the PC is suspended. With a little work
you might be able to get the PC to wake up from suspend, or you can
make it hibernate or shutdown instead of suspending. Do a search on
"linux acpi" and the name of your PC or motherboard.

Bud

Feb 19, 2009, 5:03:22 PM2/19/09
Bill Marcum wrote:
> On 2009-02-16, arnuld wrote:
<snip>

> Your computer isn't really turned off, it's suspended and doesn't know
> how to wake up. If you press and hold the power button for 5 seconds
> it should turn off completely and you can turn it on normally. On most
> PCs the power light blinks when the PC is suspended. With a little work
> you might be able to get the PC to wake up from suspend, or you can
> make it hibernate or shutdown instead of suspending. Do a search on
> "linux acpi" and the name of your PC or motherboard.

Or you can turn off the power switch on your PSU if ya got one for
about 5-20 seconds and try again. If not, unplug the computer. I've
been having the same problem and as it has been suggested, a new PSU
may be needed(?).
--
Bud