Information For People Using Googlegroups 8

Sidney Lambe

Jan 22, 2009, 2:40:13 PM1/22/09
Information For People Using Googlegroups 8

People using googlegroups to access the Usenet often don't
realize that the Usenet is a worldwide network of news servers
that exists quite independently of Google (and existed long
before Google was even dreamed of).

Nor do they understand that the Usenet is best accessed with
applications called newsreaders and that many people on the
Usenet filter out posts from googlegroups. Why?

1) It is the source of a great deal of spam.

2) Googlegroups posters, on newsgroups where specialized
information is shared, tend to be people who take but don't give.
They come for help but never help anyone.

3) Googlegroups is also a favorite of "trolls", neurotics who
wander the Usenet making trouble using dozens of different names.

Googlegroups is, for the serious Useneter, a Usenet archive, no
more and no less, accessed here:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

If you want your posts to be taken seriously, or even seen,
you need to learn to use a newsreader. It isn't difficult. You
probably already have one on your computer. In short order you
will discover just how superior to googlegroups a newsreader is.
The place to start is the newsgroup news.newusers.questions,
which can be accessed via googlegroups at:

http://groups.google.com/group/news.newusers.questions/topics

This newsgroup has its own website with links to a lot of
information about the Usenet:

http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/

In particular, see this page:

http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/how-it-works.shtml

For direct help on the usenet, see the newsgroup
news.software.readers:

http://groups.google.com/group/news.software.readers/topics

(Note that there are some jerks on this group who won't respond
to any posts from googlegroups or will attack people using
googlegroups. Ignore them. There are also some nice people there.
Just make it clear that you want help configuring and using a
real newsreader so that you can get off googlegroups. Make it
clear in the subjects of your posts.)

Here are some more links that you may find helpful:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm
http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html
http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:newusers
http://www.newsreaders.com/
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/
http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~njh/usenet.php3
http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/index.html

These are the websites that offer free access to newsservers
you can use if your ISP doesn't offer this service. It may, so
be sure to check:

http://news.aioe.org

Unreachable at the time of this posting but
probably still a good bet.

http://motzarella.org

http://x-privat.org

http://www.usenet4all.se/

(this server kills all posts from googlegroups)

http://sonic-news.com/

(free.sonic-news.com is their free newsserver, no password or
username required, 5 posts an hour amd 50 MB/day)

http://studio10k.com

This is their free server, which you can just use:

news.studio10k.com

http://albasani.net

http://www.teranews.com/

Free accounts available must sign up.

Been hearing bad things about their free accounts lately.

(Beyond the fact that they aren't really free.)

http://www.geocities.com/newsc/
http://80.247.230.136/nntpeng.htm

Note: Free newsserver access has a tendency to come and go
without warning, so don't take that list too seriously.

Note: that this is an informational posting published weekly.
(more or less) I do not read responses to it on the Usenet. (In fact, my
newsfilter kills the thread.)

Thu Jan 22 11:39:25 PST 2009

Sid

Tim Greer

Jan 23, 2009, 12:06:07 PM1/23/09
Sidney Lambe wrote:

> Information For People Using Googlegroups 8

Your feelings about google groups are not relevant to justify posting in
the Linux newsgroups. Please stop doing that.

Frank Slootweg

Jan 23, 2009, 2:05:56 PM1/23/09
[FU ignored.]

Tim Greer <t...@burlyhost.com> wrote:
> Sidney Lambe wrote:
>
> > Information For People Using Googlegroups 8
>
> Your feelings about google groups are not relevant to justify posting in
> the Linux newsgroups. Please stop doing that.

His posts are even more off-topic in news.software.readers, as the
audience he pretends to address - more or less *by definition* - doesn't
exist *at all* [1] in nsr.

He's *your* [TINY] guy. *You* keep him. We have our *own** problems! :-)

[1] Yes, there are some very rare exceptions.

Tim Greer

Jan 23, 2009, 2:47:21 PM1/23/09
Frank Slootweg wrote:

I am not surprised he does this in other groups (we've had enough of him
in the Linux groups, too). See, now we have some weird kindship. ;-)

avid fan

Feb 9, 2009, 8:16:12 AM2/9/09

Sid one thing that you must understand is that not everybody owns their
own computer.

When I did not have my own laptop I used to use google groups so that I
could access groups from my work computer.

I was not allowed to install any software on my work laptop even though
the company desperately needed the skills that I could offer.
Computer departments in big companies are run by arseholes.
They waste their time hunting down people that install iTunes on their
computers rather than provide the business tools that workers need.

IT departments would rather let the vast unused capacity of their
machines go idle than let their employees use some of it for education
or relaxation

Indi

Feb 9, 2009, 10:52:48 AM2/9/09

That's quite an unfair and most likely inaccurate characterization of IT
people. A lot of times the IT dept has a mandate not to let people use company
time for reading usenet, web browsing, and other activities which might be
classed as "education or relaxation". Also, there are often valid security
concerns with letting people install various software, especially in a
windows environment. Every app has to be known to the sysadmin(s), because
if it does something horrible IT folks are the ones who will take the heat.
Imagine being the one who has to investigate dozens or even hundreds of apps
per month in order to clear them for your users. Imagine management being okay
with that use of paid IT time. For that matter, imagine management being
happy about employees reading usenet -- of course there will be exceptions,
but generally, they will consider such employees are "gold bricking".
So, who's the real "arsehole"? Depends I guess on where you sit and what you know...
To me, users calling IT folk "arseholes" for trying to follow orders while
keeping sane network policy look like -- well, you get the picture, I'm sure.
I have known some IT people who get high on their "power" over users, but
most are really not like that.

indi

Sidney Lambe

Feb 9, 2009, 11:03:32 AM2/9/09
avid fan <us...@example.example.net> wrote:
> Sidney Lambe wrote:
>> Information For People Using Googlegroups 8
>>
>> People using googlegroups to access the Usenet often don't
>> realize that the Usenet is a worldwide network of news servers
>> that exists quite independently of Google (and existed long
>> before Google was even dreamed of).
>>
>> Nor do they understand that the Usenet is best accessed with
>> applications called newsreaders and that many people on the
>> Usenet filter out posts from googlegroups. Why?
>>
>> 1) It is the source of a great deal of spam.
>>
>> 2) Googlegroups posters, on newsgroups where specialized

[delete]

> Sid one thing that you must understand is that not everybody owns their
> own computer.
>
> When I did not have my own laptop I used to use google groups so that I
> could access groups from my work computer.
>
> I was not allowed to install any software on my work laptop even though
> the company desperately needed the skills that I could offer.
> Computer departments in big companies are run by arseholes.
> They waste their time hunting down people that install iTunes on their
> computers rather than provide the business tools that workers need.
>
> IT departments would rather let the vast unused capacity of their
> machines go idle than let their employees use some of it for education
> or relaxation

I've got the picture. You were too stuck up to get an old desktop
which will run Linux with ease. (These can be acquired for next to
nothing. Or nothing.)

Good reason to killfile you by killing all posts from googlegroups.

It costs money to run computers, you know. Lots and lots of energy.
Wear and tear on hardware. Bandwidth...

How nice of you to decide that the company has foot the bill for
your computer recreation.

Asshole.

Sid

Frank Slootweg

Feb 9, 2009, 11:14:45 AM2/9/09
Indi <in...@jayasriradhe.local> wrote:
> On 2009-02-09, avid fan <us...@example.example.net> wrote:
> > Sidney Lambe wrote:

*Who*? :-)

[...]

Besides the very valid points you make, his "I was not allowed to
install any software on my work laptop" argument is very likely invalid,
because his "work laptop" *will* most likely have a newsreader. It may
not be a very *good* one, but that can hardly be a valid point,
especially not for "education or relaxation" use. Also finding a News
server on a non-119 port - and thereby probably violating company policy
- can't be a problem.

Indi

Feb 9, 2009, 11:28:09 AM2/9/09

Yes, you're right... I'm afraid his assertions about "IT people" kind of blinded
me to the rest of the discussion.

indi

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Feb 9, 2009, 11:40:52 AM2/9/09
Indi wrote:

> <snip>

Why must you people quote the whole 120 lines of the spam?

--
-bts

Indi

Feb 9, 2009, 11:44:26 AM2/9/09
On 2009-02-09, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote:
> Indi wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>
> Why must you people quote the whole 120 lines of the spam?

Who is this "you people" of whom you speak?

indi

Mike Easter

Feb 9, 2009, 12:06:37 PM2/9/09
Indi wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty

>> Indi wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> Why must you people quote the whole 120 lines of the spam?
>>

> Who is this "you people" of whom you speak?

Bottom posters who do not trim and contextualize - which influences top
posters to believe that non-trimming and non-contextualizing comes in two
flavors, top and bottom, and they are correct.

Bottom posting untrimmed and noncontextualized causes the same kinds of
problems as top posting and adds the 'scrolling' problem that top posters
complain about.

OTOH properly attributing, trimming and contexting is much better than top
or untrimmed bottom.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Feb 9, 2009, 12:26:11 PM2/9/09
Indi wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Indi wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>
>> Why must you people quote the whole 120 lines of the spam?
>
> Who is this "you people" of whom you speak?

Is that a rhetorical question?

If it's not, note all the posts in response to the OP. You and 'avid
fan' both quoted the entire 120-line spam post (which I would have not
seen at all because Sydney is in the bozo bin). Nobody else did.

Theodore Heise

Feb 9, 2009, 12:59:26 PM2/9/09
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:16:12 GMT,

avid fan <us...@example.example.net> wrote:
> Sidney Lambe wrote:

>> People using googlegroups to access the Usenet often don't

>> [...] understand that the Usenet is best accessed with
>> applications called newsreaders...

> When I did not have my own laptop I used to use google groups so
> that I could access groups from my work computer.
>

> I was not allowed to install any software on my work laptop...

Here's another option to consider. Set up a free shell account
(e.g., nyx.net) and download PuTTY:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

PuTTY will allow you to connect by ssh to remote servers, and the
executable runs directly--no installation needed.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise <th...@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

Ed

Feb 9, 2009, 12:37:10 PM2/9/09

Marten Kemp

Feb 9, 2009, 7:09:32 PM2/9/09

What he said. Sysadmins have to fix what the others fsck up.

--
-- Marten Kemp
(Fix name and ISP to reply)

Dan C

Feb 9, 2009, 9:24:16 PM2/9/09

You, you fucking moron.

Indi

Feb 9, 2009, 10:23:34 PM2/9/09
On 2009-02-10, Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> , out of the sheer
goodness of his heart, was kind enough to enlighten us all with the
following:

> You, you fucking moron.

Thanks for sharing.
You're just too good for this world.

--
indi

Indi

Feb 9, 2009, 11:34:39 PM2/9/09
On 2009-02-09, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote:
> Indi wrote:
>>
>> Who is this "you people" of whom you speak?
>
> Is that a rhetorical question?

No. But I did get the answer I was seeking, see news.software.readers for
the rest of the thread.

> If it's not, note all the posts in response to the OP. You and 'avid
> fan' both quoted the entire 120-line spam post (which I would have not
> seen at all because Sydney is in the bozo bin). Nobody else did.

Well, I didn't at first notice that the message was x-posted. Thus, I didn't
see "all the responses" because on news.software.readers there weren't any.
I'm sorry if I offended you by not trimming the parent and grandparent, and
by quoting someone you're ignoring -- that was certainly not my intention.

Of course, some are more easily offended than others, and I have no control
over that (though I do manage to live with it:). Perhaps in the future we can
both be a bit more careful about x-posting.

--
indi

[This message posted individually to the groups to which parent was originally
x-posted, so the response will not be carelessly x-posted again.]

Indi

Feb 9, 2009, 11:36:58 PM2/9/09
On 2009-02-09, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote:

> Is that a rhetorical question?

No. But I did get the answer I was seeking, see news.software.readers for

the rest of the thread.

> If it's not, note all the posts in response to the OP. You and 'avid

> fan' both quoted the entire 120-line spam post (which I would have not
> seen at all because Sydney is in the bozo bin). Nobody else did.

Well, I didn't at first notice that the message was x-posted. Thus, I didn't

Dan C

Feb 9, 2009, 11:51:29 PM2/9/09
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 04:36:58 +0000, Indi wrote:

>> If it's not, note all the posts in response to the OP. You and 'avid
>> fan' both quoted the entire 120-line spam post (which I would have not
>> seen at all because Sydney is in the bozo bin). Nobody else did.

> Well, I didn't at first notice that the message was x-posted. Thus, I
> didn't see "all the responses" because on news.software.readers there
> weren't any. I'm sorry if I offended you by not trimming the parent and
> grandparent, and by quoting someone you're ignoring -- that was
> certainly not my intention.
>
> Of course, some are more easily offended than others, and I have no
> control over that (though I do manage to live with it:). Perhaps in the
> future we can both be a bit more careful about x-posting.

Perhaps in the future, you could just stop posting to Usenet altogether,
and thereby improve the Usenet experience for all other posters.

Indi

Feb 10, 2009, 12:09:08 AM2/10/09
On 2009-02-10, Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid>, donning his most gracious
demeanor, contributed this well-mannered and carefully thought out missive:

> Perhaps in the future, you could just stop posting to Usenet altogether,
> and thereby improve the Usenet experience for all other posters.

Oh Dan, you charming rascal.

--
indi

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Feb 10, 2009, 12:28:29 AM2/10/09
Indi wrote:

> Perhaps in the future we can both be a bit more careful about x-posting.

I didn't start it. You must be talking about Sydney.

> --
> indi
>
> [This message posted individually

No it wasn't.

> to the groups to which parent was originally x-posted, so the response
> will not be carelessly x-posted again.]

Do you know that multi-posting is far worse than cross-posting?

Indi

Feb 10, 2009, 12:46:14 AM2/10/09
On 2009-02-10, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote:
> Indi wrote:
>
>> Perhaps in the future we can both be a bit more careful about x-posting.
>
> I didn't start it. You must be talking about Sydney.

Excuse me, but are you serious?
Didn't you reply to a cossposted message, thus crossposting your reply?

>> [This message posted individually
>
> No it wasn't.

Correct. The crossposted version was a mistake, and I canceled t immediately.
Unfortunately, it did not disappear immediately. Oh, well.

>> to the groups to which parent was originally x-posted, so the response
>> will not be carelessly x-posted again.]
>
> Do you know that multi-posting is far worse than cross-posting?

As I said, I cancelled the crossposted mesage. We all make mistakes.
But aren't you nitpicking a bit for someone who crossposts so much?

--
indi

Rob

Feb 10, 2009, 8:21:33 AM2/10/09

I said that

>> Computer departments in big companies are run by arseholes.

not the people who implement the policies.

I NEVER used my laptop in company time to do non work related activities.

Consider this the computer you are reading this with almost certainly
more powerful than all the computing power that put a man on the moon.
Do companies get the full benefit of this no - Why? I put it to you
that companies have locked up their computers so successfully, that
workers cannot get the tools they need to improve their productivity.

The usenet is very helpful for getting help with programing questions.

Since in my job I had to do analysis of figures. The IT department was
never very helpful in providing us the business tools. I asked the IT
department to let me install a programming language that I owned on to
my laptop so that I could create the tools that I needed. They refused.

I ended up learning a new language Visual Basic in Excel to automate a
lot of the analysis I needed. I was very productive - won lots of
company awards.

The only time I broke their policies was when I installed iTunes on my
computer (For some reason it got around the security systems of Windows)
I used it to download educational, business and management podcasts for
my GPS so that I could listen them in the car while I visited customers.

Of course whenever I went on a conference I would delete iTunes and
reinstall it afterwards

Rob

Feb 10, 2009, 8:56:03 AM2/10/09
<Snip>

>> Sid one thing that you must understand is that not everybody owns their
>> own computer.
>>
>> When I did not have my own laptop I used to use google groups so that I
>> could access groups from my work computer.
>>
>> I was not allowed to install any software on my work laptop even though
>> the company desperately needed the skills that I could offer.
>> Computer departments in big companies are run by arseholes.
>> They waste their time hunting down people that install iTunes on their
>> computers rather than provide the business tools that workers need.
>>
>> IT departments would rather let the vast unused capacity of their
>> machines go idle than let their employees use some of it for education
>> or relaxation
>
> I've got the picture. You were too stuck up to get an old desktop
> which will run Linux with ease. (These can be acquired for next to
> nothing. Or nothing.)
>
> Good reason to killfile you by killing all posts from googlegroups.
>
> It costs money to run computers, you know. Lots and lots of energy.
> Wear and tear on hardware. Bandwidth...
>
> How nice of you to decide that the company has foot the bill for
> your computer recreation.
>
> Asshole.
>
> Sid

Sid you really are the arsehole of arseholes

Yes I owned a desktop computer but I found that I preferred to be with
my wife. Since I already had a work laptop it seemed a waste to buy
another one when I already had one. After four years the company had
depreciated the laptops to nothing and put them in landfill because it
was cheaper for tax reasons than giving them to us.

I was not visiting Facebook I was getting programming tips from the
usenet that helped me in my work.

Work paid for a set amount of my internet time I paid for the rest over
all I think work got the better end of the deal. So I paid for the
bandwidth I paid for the power too since I was home.

As for Linix it is good for some things. Wifi and Printer drivers are a
pain to install.

You can't update maps on your GPS.
Using an iPod on Linux is a big pain.

If you are looking for a job. Most Companies and Job agencies will not
accept your resume on anything but Microsoft Word format.

Rob

Feb 10, 2009, 9:00:25 AM2/10/09

I use PuTTY but not for usenet. Googlegroups works fine for me

Rob

Feb 10, 2009, 9:08:41 AM2/10/09
Ed wrote:

> avid fan <us...@example.example.net> wrote in
>
> snip
>

>> Sid one thing that you must understand is that not
>> everybody owns their own computer.
>>
>> When I did not have my own laptop I used to use google
>> groups so that I could access groups from my work computer.
>>
>> I was not allowed to install any software on my work laptop
>> even though the company desperately needed the skills that
>> I could offer. Computer departments in big companies are
>> run by arseholes. They waste their time hunting down people
>> that install iTunes on their computers rather than provide
>> the business tools that workers need.
>>
>> IT departments would rather let the vast unused capacity of
>> their machines go idle than let their employees use some of
>> it for education or relaxation
>
> Wouldn't even let you use your own portable stuff on a flash
> drive? That blows.

The company policy was that only company thumb/flash drives were allowed
to be used.

I once saw a Marketing presentation fall to pieces at a conference
because nobody had a company flash drive with them.

I had a 4 gig personal flash drive in my pocket. I did not tell them.

Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword.

Rob

Feb 10, 2009, 9:41:35 AM2/10/09

> Besides the very valid points you make, his "I was not allowed to
> install any software on my work laptop" argument is very likely invalid,
> because his "work laptop" *will* most likely have a newsreader. It may
> not be a very *good* one, but that can hardly be a valid point,
> especially not for "education or relaxation" use. Also finding a News
> server on a non-119 port - and thereby probably violating company policy
> - can't be a problem.

If Outlook or Outlook express were on that computer I could not find it.

I was allowed to use the work computer in my own time to browse the
internet so long as I did not go to porn.

Google groups worked fine for me. As far as I know I was not violating
any policy.

Rob

Feb 10, 2009, 10:14:12 AM2/10/09

Even before the machines were locked down I never fucked up a machine.
If that is the issue charge the people who fuck up their machines
corporate rates to fix it.

Originally early computer languages like COBOL were created with the
intension that a worker could create a program in an afternoon to help
them in their work.

The reason that I taught my self to program was I had an important job
that needed doing. After spending TWO YEARS trying to get the IT
department to do it and getting told that "It is the next thing on my
list" I sat down at my desk saw a manual for GW Basic, I pulled the
thing down and read it. Half hour here half there I wrote the program in
two weeks and tripled the output for that assay in that lab.

If you work in IT and you don't want to do your job - don't do it ! but
don't stop me from doing the job myself.

Rui Maciel

Feb 10, 2009, 10:40:59 AM2/10/09
Ed wrote:

> Wouldn't even let you use your own portable stuff on a flash
> drive?  That blows.

I believe that enabling any user to run whatever unknown application they wish from any portable mass storage device would be a
huge security hole, wouldn't it?

Rui Maciel

Rui Maciel

Feb 10, 2009, 10:41:41 AM2/10/09
Theodore Heise wrote:

> Here's another option to consider.  Set up a free shell account
> (e.g., nyx.net) and download PuTTY:
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
>
> PuTTY will allow you to connect by ssh to remote servers, and the
> executable runs directly--no installation needed.

Isn't that a bit overkill? I mean, in one hand we have a website which is terribly easy to access and use and on the other hand we
have to download a remote shell client, log into a remote server and execute some application remotely.

Rui Maciel

Indi

Feb 10, 2009, 11:08:15 AM2/10/09
On 2009-02-10, Rob <us...@example.com> wrote:

> The only time I broke their policies was when I installed iTunes on my
> computer (For some reason it got around the security systems of Windows)
> I used it to download educational, business and management podcasts for
> my GPS so that I could listen them in the car while I visited customers.
>

> Of course whenever I went on a conference I would delete iTunes and
> reinstall it afterwards

Well, that's a huge, gaping hole in the story then, isn't it?
You could and did install iTunes, but it was impossible to install a
newsreader?
:)
--
indi

Ed

Feb 10, 2009, 10:55:52 AM2/10/09

Rob

Feb 10, 2009, 6:07:43 PM2/10/09

I did not need to install a newsreader I had googlegroups. I have
stated before iTunes (for reasons that I did not understand) got around
the computers security.

Dan C

Feb 10, 2009, 7:32:34 PM2/10/09
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:07:43 +0000, Rob wrote:

> I did not need to install a newsreader I had googlegroups. I have
> stated before iTunes (for reasons that I did not understand) got around
> the computers security.

A classic case of the stupid talking to the stupid.

How do you remember to keep breathing, dimwit?

Robert Miles

Feb 15, 2009, 11:58:11 AM2/15/09
"avid fan" <us...@example.example.net> wrote in message

> Sidney Lambe wrote:
>> Information For People Using Googlegroups 8
>>

>> http://www.teranews.com/ Free accounts available must sign up.
>>
>> Been hearing bad things about their free accounts lately.
>>
>> (Beyond the fact that they aren't really free.)

[snip]

>> Sid

Note that Tera News at least seems to be trying to clean up their
problems now. For details, see the new newsgroup teranews.support .

> Sid one thing that you must understand is that not everybody owns their
> own computer.
>
> When I did not have my own laptop I used to use google groups so that I
> could access groups from my work computer.
>
> I was not allowed to install any software on my work laptop even though
> the company desperately needed the skills that I could offer.
> Computer departments in big companies are run by arseholes.
> They waste their time hunting down people that install iTunes on their
> computers rather than provide the business tools that workers need.
>
> IT departments would rather let the vast unused capacity of their machines
> go idle than let their employees use some of it for education or
> relaxation
.
Some of them, but not enough, allow installations of programs intended
to help medical research while running at lowest priority, such as those
from:

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

I use Windows versions, but at least one of these also offers Linux
and Mac versions. Some companies insist that you only let them
work on medical research workunits outside normal business
hours, or only overnight, though.

These programs increase the amount of electricity the computers
need, but seldom by more than 50 cents (US) worth a day for
each computer. In some parts of the year, they can also increase
the costs of electricity for air conditioning by about three times
that much.

The last I looked, all three of these sites used other people's
computers only for non-profit research.

Robert Miles

Robert Miles

Feb 15, 2009, 12:16:57 PM2/15/09
"avid fan" <us...@example.example.net> wrote in message
> Sidney Lambe wrote:
>> Information For People Using Googlegroups 8
>>
>> People using googlegroups to access the Usenet often don't
>> realize that the Usenet is a worldwide network of news servers
>> that exists quite independently of Google (and existed long
>> before Google was even dreamed of).
>>
>> Nor do they understand that the Usenet is best accessed with
>> applications called newsreaders and that many people on the
>> Usenet filter out posts from googlegroups. Why?
>>
>> 1) It is the source of a great deal of spam.

Also note that there's a new great source of spam, usenet.com.
This one hides enough information in their headers that it's
difficult to block only the spammers using it, but so far the
only other type of posts I've seen from it were definitely
off-topic for the newsgroups they were posted to, so I plan
to block all posts using it as soon as I can add that capability
to my newsreader.

Robert Miles

Robert Miles

Feb 15, 2009, 12:42:42 PM2/15/09
"Sidney Lambe" <sidne...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> avid fan <us...@example.example.net> wrote:
>> Sidney Lambe wrote:
[snip]

> I've got the picture. You were too stuck up to get an old desktop
> which will run Linux with ease. (These can be acquired for next to
> nothing. Or nothing.)
>
> Sid

Why not too short of time and/or computer skills to learn how to use
Linux? I've seen many more people for which that is the cause.

Robert Miles

Dan C

Feb 15, 2009, 12:48:41 PM2/15/09
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:16:57 -0600, Robert Miles wrote:

> Also note that there's a new great source of spam, usenet.com. This one
> hides enough information in their headers that it's difficult to block
> only the spammers using it, but so far the only other type of posts I've
> seen from it were definitely off-topic for the newsgroups they were
> posted to, so I plan to block all posts using it as soon as I can add
> that capability to my newsreader.

You're not using a newsreader...

See? You're using an email client.

Dan C

Feb 15, 2009, 3:48:50 PM2/15/09

Or too stupid...

Bugger off out of here, and go play with your toys, Win-droid.

John Thompson

Feb 15, 2009, 8:31:37 PM2/15/09
Sidney Lambe wrote:

> http://www.teranews.com/ Free accounts available must sign up.
>
> Been hearing bad things about their free accounts lately.
>
> (Beyond the fact that they aren't really free.)

Ternews has a one-time "set-up" fee of about US$4, after which there is
no charge (just download limits). I suspect this fee was initiated at
least in part to discourage spammers from creating an arbitrarily large
number of throw-away accounts from which to distribute their spam
messages. At $4 a pop, it adds up pretty quickly for a spammer, but for
an individual user it is trivial.

--

John (jo...@os2.dhs.org)

Frank Slootweg

Feb 16, 2009, 12:10:37 PM2/16/09
Robert "Wasting your time R Us" Miles <rober...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote:
[...]

> Also note that there's a new great source of spam, usenet.com.
> This one hides enough information in their headers that it's
> difficult to block only the spammers using it, but so far the
> only other type of posts I've seen from it were definitely
> off-topic for the newsgroups they were posted to, so I plan
> to block all posts using it as soon as I can add that capability
> to my newsreader.

Which is what, *over six weeks* [1] ago?

[1] <news:ccb63$495fcd4c$5ed00124$48...@cache3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>

Robert Miles

Feb 21, 2009, 12:30:23 PM2/21/09
"Dan C" <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote in message

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:16:57 -0600, Robert Miles wrote:
>
>> Also note that there's a new great source of spam, usenet.com. This one
>> hides enough information in their headers that it's difficult to block
>> only the spammers using it, but so far the only other type of posts I've
>> seen from it were definitely off-topic for the newsgroups they were
>> posted to, so I plan to block all posts using it as soon as I can add
>> that capability to my newsreader.
>
> You're not using a newsreader...

> See? You're using an email client.

An email/newsreader client, actually.

Jeff▲Relf

Feb 21, 2009, 4:07:11 PM2/21/09
Windows Live Mail is much better than Windows Mail.
Windows Live Mail can download my posts via a Message-ID;
Windows Mail can't ( because of the characters in my Message-IDs ).

Windows Live Mail renders Unicode correctly everywhere
except in the list of posts ( because XOver has no CharSet info );
Windows Mail can't ( for headers, W.M. requires encoded words ).

Also, I suggest you downLoad ( and use ) DejaVu Sans Mono because it has
Chinese, Russian and a wide selection of symbols.

DejaVu is now in my Vista/XP “ Theme ”:
JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Jeff_Relf.Theme

and in my styleSheet overRides for fireFox:
JeffRelf.F-M.FM/userContent.CSS
JeffRelf.F-M.FM/userChrome.CSS