Temperature problem

Luca

Apr 22, 2009, 9:15:02 AM4/22/09

I have a compaq notebook with an nvidia card and a pentium dual core CPU.
I have windows vista and kubuntu.

The pc had a high temperature from 2 week. If I use windows I haven't so
high temperature, I have use Linux with cpu policy "performance" o
"dynamic" the temperature raise 90°.

Somebody know something about this problem?

Thank you
Luca

Dan C

Apr 22, 2009, 9:35:37 AM4/22/09

It's likely related to ACPI and fans not being controlled properly.

Need help?: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

Luca

Apr 22, 2009, 9:38:45 AM4/22/09
Il Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:35:37 +0000, Dan C ha scritto:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:15:02 +0000, Luca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a compaq notebook with an nvidia card and a pentium dual core
>> CPU. I have windows vista and kubuntu.
>>
>> The pc had a high temperature from 2 week. If I use windows I haven't
>> so high temperature, I have use Linux with cpu policy "performance" o
>> "dynamic" the temperature raise 90°.
>>
>> Somebody know something about this problem?
>
> It's likely related to ACPI and fans not being controlled properly.

mmm, I supposed the problem is acpi, how can I resolve or where can i
find some information?

Dan C

Apr 22, 2009, 11:56:11 AM4/22/09

Here: http://www.google.com

Duh.

Luca

Apr 22, 2009, 12:01:39 PM4/22/09
Il Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:56:11 +0000, Dan C ha scritto:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:38:45 +0000, Luca wrote:

>>> It's likely related to ACPI and fans not being controlled properly.
>>
>> mmm, I supposed the problem is acpi, how can I resolve or where can i
>> find some information?
>
> Here: http://www.google.com
>
> Duh.

Oh yeah! I don't know google I'm just arrived from Mars!

I tried to search using google, but I didn't find anything

Dan C

Apr 22, 2009, 1:29:40 PM4/22/09

Well, I guess you're suckin' then.

Is stupidity painful?

Luca

Apr 22, 2009, 1:54:42 PM4/22/09
Il Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:29:40 +0000, Dan C ha scritto:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:01:39 +0000, Luca wrote:

>>> Here: http://www.google.com
>>>
>>> Duh.
>>
>> Oh yeah! I don't know google I'm just arrived from Mars!
>>
>> I tried to search using google, but I didn't find anything
>
> Well, I guess you're suckin' then.
>
> Is stupidity painful?

Who do you think you are?
If you want to answear to use google, without suggent what to ask to
google, please don't answear...you're useless.

Bill Marcum

Apr 22, 2009, 1:44:47 PM4/22/09

Have you tried using "top" to see what process is using the cpu?

Nathan Keel

Apr 22, 2009, 3:02:11 PM4/22/09
Dan C wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:01:39 +0000, Luca wrote:

>>> Here: http://www.google.com
>>>
>>> Duh.
>>
>> Oh yeah! I don't know google I'm just arrived from Mars!
>>
>> I tried to search using google, but I didn't find anything
>
> Well, I guess you're suckin' then.
>
> Is stupidity painful?

Why read a post asking for help if you're just going to berate the guy
asking? Maybe consider laying off the guy. If you aren't able or
willing to help him, don't reply.

Nathan Keel

Apr 22, 2009, 3:03:30 PM4/22/09
Luca wrote:

Are you running anything specific when you see this difference? Have
you considered that one platform may not be reading the temp properly,
rather than the use actually being too different? Is the usage heavier
or lighter on one OS or the other? Did you run any tests to get the
usage high and see what temp it reports for both OSes?

s. keeling

Apr 22, 2009, 5:59:35 PM4/22/09
Nathan Keel <na...@gm.ml>:
> Dan C wrote:
>
> [nothing much].

> Why read a post asking for help if you're just going to berate the guy

Dan appears to have an extreme case of Doesn't Suffer Fools Lightly,
and is quick to label people Fools.

s. keeling

Apr 22, 2009, 6:07:47 PM4/22/09
Luca <luc...@inwind.it>:

> I have a compaq notebook with an nvidia card and a pentium dual core CPU.
> I have windows vista and kubuntu.
>
> The pc had a high temperature from 2 week. If I use windows I haven't so
> high temperature, I have use Linux with cpu policy "performance" o
> "dynamic" the temperature raise 90°.

Hopefully, you've solved this by now. If not, look into
cpufrequtils. It allows the kernel to do frequency scaling.
"ondemand" took mine from 70 C to 55 C. When cpu load goes up, cpu
scales up in MHz.

Dan C

Apr 22, 2009, 10:04:37 PM4/22/09

I guess you haven't been reading the thread. If you had, you'd know that
I have already answered him TWICE with correct and helpful answers. When
someone tells you they "can't find anything" regarding ACPI/fans using a
Google search, you realize that they are stupid and beyond any further
help. Unless, of course, you are stupid yourself.

Bugger off.

Dan C

Apr 22, 2009, 10:05:39 PM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:59:35 +0000, s. keeling wrote:

> Nathan Keel <na...@gm.ml>:
>> Dan C wrote:
>>
>> [nothing much].
>>
>> Why read a post asking for help if you're just going to berate the guy
>
> Dan appears to have an extreme case of Doesn't Suffer Fools Lightly, and
> is quick to label people Fools.

True, no doubt. It's quite easy to use that label on someone who says
they "can't find anything" on ACPI using a Google search. Wouldn't you
agree?

Dan C

Apr 22, 2009, 10:06:32 PM4/22/09

Isn't it fucking obvious what the search for, based on the prior
(CORRECT) answer that I gave the dimwit?

Bugger off, doofus.

Nathan Keel

Apr 23, 2009, 2:12:46 AM4/23/09
Dan C wrote:

Only a fucking regard would say:

"It's likely related to ACPI and fans not being controlled properly."

And then say "google.com" in reply when the OP asks for you to elaborate
on what you mean.

And then when I say to lay off the guy, you throw a tantrum and accuse
me of "being stupid" or "not following the thread", because you are
incorrectly claiming you offered any help to them.

Yeah, tell them to go to google and search for ACPI and maybe add +fan,
I'm sure that'll get them REAL FAR.

Either you know the answer, or you don't. Either you are willing to
help them, or you aren't. Either you are only willing to help "so much
and so far", or you aren't. However, it does no one any good for you
to give some completely vague mention of a common aspect and start
berating the poster because they genuinely and politely asked for help.

I agree with them, who the fuck do you think you are anyway? I really
don't care, since you're not a civil person, so you are welcome to
"bugger off" yourself... bitch.

Nathan Keel

Apr 23, 2009, 2:13:18 AM4/23/09
Dan C wrote:

Doofus, you're replying to the OP. Might want to replace "the dimwit"
with "you dimwit".

Luca

Apr 23, 2009, 3:37:47 AM4/23/09
Il Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:07:47 +0000, s. keeling ha scritto:

> Luca <luc...@inwind.it>:
>>
>> I have a compaq notebook with an nvidia card and a pentium dual core
>> CPU. I have windows vista and kubuntu.
>>
>> The pc had a high temperature from 2 week. If I use windows I haven't
>> so high temperature, I have use Linux with cpu policy "performance" o
>> "dynamic" the temperature raise 90°.
>
> Hopefully, you've solved this by now. If not, look into cpufrequtils.
> It allows the kernel to do frequency scaling. "ondemand" took mine from
> 70 C to 55 C. When cpu load goes up, cpu scales up in MHz.

Thank you, but I use kpowersave, and to reduce the temperature I set the
policy to "powersafe", it works, but the high temperature on policy
"performace" was not normal.

Luca

Apr 23, 2009, 3:40:37 AM4/23/09

Good idea, I found a week ago something on the problem with acpi and fan
speed so I'didn't think to the simple solution :)
There was a printer process who use a lot o CPU.
I removed it and I'm waiting to view the result

Luca

Apr 23, 2009, 6:42:19 AM4/23/09
Il Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:05:39 +0000, Dan C ha scritto:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:59:35 +0000, s. keeling wrote:
>
>> Nathan Keel <na...@gm.ml>:
>>> Dan C wrote:
>>>
>>> [nothing much].
>>>
>>> Why read a post asking for help if you're just going to berate the
>>> guy
>>
>> Dan appears to have an extreme case of Doesn't Suffer Fools Lightly,
>> and is quick to label people Fools.
>
> True, no doubt. It's quite easy to use that label on someone who says
> they "can't find anything" on ACPI using a Google search. Wouldn't you
> agree?

Before you call "stupid" another time, I inform you that I'm writing my
thesis for the master in Computer Science. So I don't think to be stupid,
but I think that I don't have enough time looking for something that in
google have too much entry, but you can understand that I need the pc.

If you don't have a solution...don't answear...is so simple for genius
like you

Luca

Apr 23, 2009, 6:43:30 AM4/23/09

The problem seems to be resolved, thank you!

The Natural Philosopher

Apr 23, 2009, 7:33:10 AM4/23/09
Luca wrote:
> Il Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:05:39 +0000, Dan C ha scritto:

>>> Dan appears to have an extreme case of Doesn't Suffer Fools Lightly,
>>> and is quick to label people Fools.
>> True, no doubt. It's quite easy to use that label on someone who says
>> they "can't find anything" on ACPI using a Google search. Wouldn't you
>> agree?
>
> Before you call "stupid" another time, I inform you that I'm writing my
> thesis for the master in Computer Science.

Judging by the compsci grads I hired, that's almost a guarantee of
stupidity in real world programming.

By the time they had finished arguing the merits of the language, the
approach, the operating system and the tools, the software engineers had
finished the project.

Dan C

Apr 23, 2009, 9:15:28 AM4/23/09
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:42:19 +0000, Luca wrote:

> Il Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:05:39 +0000, Dan C ha scritto:

>>> Dan appears to have an extreme case of Doesn't Suffer Fools Lightly,
>>> and is quick to label people Fools.
>>
>> True, no doubt. It's quite easy to use that label on someone who says
>> they "can't find anything" on ACPI using a Google search. Wouldn't you
>> agree?
>
> Before you call "stupid" another time, I inform you that I'm writing my
> thesis for the master in Computer Science.

OK, so you *ARE* stupid. Got it.

> stupid, but I think that I don't have enough time looking for something
> that in google have too much entry,

You don't have time, eh? Yet, you think everyone else should just stop
what they're doing, use their valuable time, to do your fucking search
for you?

You wasted your education money, doofus. Bugger off.

Dan C

Apr 23, 2009, 9:16:41 AM4/23/09

Fuck off, dimwit. You're even more stupid than he is.

Nathan Keel

Apr 23, 2009, 4:44:07 PM4/23/09
Dan C wrote:

You're a freaking CHILD to get so wound up because someone doesn't put
up with your shit. Deal with it, you clueless retard.

Dan C

Apr 23, 2009, 10:36:20 PM4/23/09

"Wound up"? LOL!!! ROFL! Who's the one "wound up" over this, you
ignorant stooge? Fuck off again.

Robert Riches

Apr 24, 2009, 12:17:47 AM4/24/09

Don't worry about Dan C. Just killfile him and get on with
life. That's what the rest in this group have done.

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@verizon.net

Luca

Apr 24, 2009, 2:57:53 AM4/24/09
Il Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:15:28 +0000, Dan C ha scritto:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:42:19 +0000, Luca wrote:

>>> True, no doubt. It's quite easy to use that label on someone who says
>>> they "can't find anything" on ACPI using a Google search. Wouldn't
>>> you agree?
>>
>> Before you call "stupid" another time, I inform you that I'm writing my
>> thesis for the master in Computer Science.
>
> OK, so you *ARE* stupid. Got it.
>
>> stupid, but I think that I don't have enough time looking for something
>> that in google have too much entry,
>
> You don't have time, eh? Yet, you think everyone else should just stop
> what they're doing, use their valuable time, to do your fucking search
> for you?
>
> You wasted your education money, doofus. Bugger off.

Bla Bla Bla, nobody says you have to aswear to the newsgroup.
Who have some free time will answear.

Nathan Keel

Apr 24, 2009, 3:04:29 AM4/24/09
Dan C wrote:

Good grief, get a mirror, scum bag. Consider yourself filtered, monkey
boy.

PS: If you get so worked up over usenet, maybe it's time to get a life
and a reality check?

PSS: I won't see your reply, but I'm sure you'll feel compelled to reply
anyway. And fuck you anyway, you worthless shit, it's people like you
that make corners of the Internet a crappy place. Also, you don't own
the group, and you'll have to deal with the fact you can't control
people.

Luca

Apr 24, 2009, 4:58:18 AM4/24/09
Il Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:33:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher ha scritto:

> Judging by the compsci grads I hired, that's almost a guarantee of
> stupidity in real world programming.
>
> By the time they had finished arguing the merits of the language, the
> approach, the operating system and the tools, the software engineers had
> finished the project.

Yes, you're right (however in Italy it's a little bit different), but
we're not talking about programming, I mean that I don't need the
suggestion to search by google.

wisdomkiller & pain

Apr 24, 2009, 6:25:16 AM4/24/09
Luca wrote:

> Bla Bla Bla, nobody says you have to aswear to the newsgroup.
> Who have some free time will answear.

One important rule about usenet news:
Answers are never meant as a swear in, but often enough swear words ;-)