Fedora 10 Live -- No Development Tools?

W. eWatson

Mar 5, 2009, 7:45:06 AM3/5/09
I pulled down a 3/4 G iso file from the Fedora 10 site and burned it onto a
CD. It doesn't have gcc or make. It took 2 hours to download the file. Is
there another version that at least has some minimal dev tools? Maybe a DVD
version? I want to compile a 38K line C program that has no GUI but does use
some sort of graphics facility to produce jpg files. From the main program:

#define wolf

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include "cgi-draw.h"
#include "novas.h"
#include "global.h"
#include "calstars.h"
#include "imatrix.h"
#include "cnstl.h"

/* ************ markstars ***************
main routine of WOLF

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

General Schvantzkoph

Mar 5, 2009, 8:58:38 AM3/5/09
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 04:45:06 -0800, W. eWatson wrote:

> I pulled down a 3/4 G iso file from the Fedora 10 site and burned it
> onto a CD. It doesn't have gcc or make. It took 2 hours to download the
> file. Is there another version that at least has some minimal dev tools?
> Maybe a DVD version? I want to compile a 38K line C program that has no
> GUI but does use some sort of graphics facility to produce jpg files.
> From the main program:
>
> #define wolf
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
> #include "cgi-draw.h"
> #include "novas.h"
> #include "global.h"
> #include "calstars.h"
> #include "imatrix.h"
> #include "cnstl.h"
>
> /* ************ markstars ***************
> main routine of WOLF

Use 'Add/Remove Software' or Yumex to install the development packages.
The Live version is a minimal subset of Fedora, it doesn't include any
development tools, the DVD version has everything. However the Live
version is actually a better way to do the install because Fedora has so
many updates that virtually everything on the DVD will have to be updated
after the install anyway. If you install from the Live version then
install the additional packages that you want from the web you'll get the
current versions.

W. eWatson

Mar 5, 2009, 9:21:47 AM3/5/09

How big is the DVD version? If it can be downloaded, and isn't too big, that
probably would be fine with me. Where would I download the iso file from?
Even an older version of Fedora would help--provided I can access my Sandisk.

I don't want to install Fedora, I just want to mount a CD/DVD and be able to
compile code to verify some C code someone gave me does what I think it's
supposed to do. I'm pretty sure a Knoppix CD I bought several years ago does
this, but it doesn't have the ability for me to mount a 500M Sandisk.

General Schvantzkoph

Mar 5, 2009, 10:33:10 AM3/5/09

The DVD version is an installer only. If you don't want to install Fedora
on your disk then you can do an install to a USB FLASH stick or create a
Fedora VM on your Windows box. VMware Server has a free Windows version
as well as the a free Linux version. To install to a USB FLASH

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

You will need to use the overlay feature which will allow you to add
packages. For your purposes you should use an 8G USB stick. Fedora Live
fits on a 1G stick but there isn't enough room left for the development
packages. 8G gives you room for both the packages and for working area.