Compiling the ash386 shell

Mark Hobley

Mar 21, 2009, 1:08:00 AM3/21/09
I have downloaded the ash386 shell from the following location:

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/shells/ash-linux-0.2.tar.gz

I have extracted the source tarball and made the package directory
current.

make
cc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -m386 -DSHELL -I/usr/include/bsd -I. -s
-lbsd mkinit.c -o mkinit
mkinit.c: In function 'main':
mkinit.c:181: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'exit'
mkinit.c:184: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'execl'
mkinit.c: In function 'ckfopen':
mkinit.c:512: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'exit'
mkinit.c: In function 'ckmalloc':
mkinit.c:520: warning: conflicting types for built-in function 'malloc'
mkinit.c: In function 'savestr':
mkinit.c:533: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'strlen'
mkinit.c:534: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'strcpy'
mkinit.c: In function 'error':
mkinit.c:545: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'exit'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbsd <----
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status |
make: *** [mkinit] Error 1 |

Does anyone know how to build this? It looks like it is looking for some
sort of bsd library.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

Jim Moe

Mar 21, 2009, 4:32:30 PM3/21/09
On 03/20/09 10:08 pm, Mark Hobley wrote:
> I have downloaded the ash386 shell from the following location:
>
> ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/shells/ash-linux-0.2.tar.gz

That distribution is over 15 years old. I suspect a more recent version
would compile.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Mark Hobley

Mar 21, 2009, 7:08:01 PM3/21/09
Jim Moe <jmm-list...@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:
> That distribution is over 15 years old. I suspect a more recent version
> would compile.

This shell version is used by the T2 distribution build kit, which is
only a couple of years old, so it must have compiled fairly recently.

I'll have a hunt through the T2 archive, and see if I can work out what
goes on during the ebuild process.

Mark Hobley

Mar 22, 2009, 4:08:02 AM3/22/09
Mark Hobley <markh...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> I'll have a hunt through the T2 archive, and see if I can work out what
> goes on during the ebuild process.

Right. It looks like there are a series of light patches to this. I
managed to apply these, and compile a working shell.

http://www.t2-project.org/packages/ash.html

Cheers,