Smallest Linux to got internet and Office

zxcvbnm2bg

Apr 4, 2006, 11:39:22 PM4/4/06
Hi! What is the smallest Linux for a newbie to surf internet and use
GNOME or KDE only? With thanks.

rrs.m...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2006, 1:17:30 AM4/5/06
the best option would be to use a linux live CD.
no need to install it to hard drive.
try it out.

rrs.m...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2006, 1:21:01 AM4/5/06
there are many live destros available.
the best would be knoppix.
u could also check out gnoppix,suse.

jasonz...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2006, 4:54:09 AM4/5/06
yes,knoppix is so good that it can be run on a disc.
But if you want to use x-windows to surf internet.
I think both gnome and kde are both ok.

imotgm

Apr 5, 2006, 7:13:00 AM4/5/06
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:54:09 -0700, jasonz...@gmail.com wrote:

> yes,knoppix is so good that it can be run on a disc. But if you want to
> use x-windows to surf internet. I think both gnome and kde are both ok.

Now comes the "canned" speech about what's wrong with GG posting. It's
offered as a learning tool, to help you get more, and better help, without
upsetting old grouches, like me, in the process. Read it in that spirit.
If you detect a note of anger, or frustration, it's not with you, but
rather with GG, for their crappy implementation of their interface. ;-)

OK, let's start with the basics: Do you know what Usenet is? Do you know
what a News Group is? How about a news server? Click on this link for the
answers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
Usenet. A quick fix can be read on the following page:

If you want to get better help and learn more, please read on.

I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;

http://www.plainfaqs.org

At the bottom of the short first page is the header "General Netiquette".
While you are at it, read the whole document and the links provided in
it as well. Lots of good things there.

Due to the bad quoting habits and the amount of drivel coming from
postings done via Google Groups, numerous people have resorted in
kill filing (not reading or responding to) all postings done with Google.
This means fewer knowledgeable people that are able, or willing, to help
you. Proper quoting, and good netiquette, will keep more from doing the
same.

It's not your fault you got sucked into GG's bad habits. It will be your
fault, if you don't act to remedy the situation. Remember this: it's in
your best interest to keep these knowledgeable people happy, by following
a few simple rules. If you don't, you will be the only loser.

To get the best possible result from your postings, it is better to use a
newsreader or Usenet client. Linux has many dedicated news readers, as
well as browsers with built in news readers.

If you're running SUSE Linux, look on your menu, under Internet -->
News, and you'll see which news readers you have installed. If you're
running something else, look for a good newsreader. Don't use an email
program.

Find a Usenet server that you can post to. Your ISP probably has one.
There are also free ones out there, that Google will help you locate.
Type in "Usenet free servers". better yet, use this:

http://tinyurl.com/c45wm

The one your provider has is most likely the better, faster and easier
choice. Set up the news reader of your choice, download the groups
list, type linux in the search box, then subscribe to alt.os.linux. and
alt.os.linux.<your distro> as well as any others that interest you;
comp.os.linux.<whatever> may also prove helpful.

When I see correct quoting from you, instead of what Google has been
forcing you to do, I'll be right there to greet you, and help get you
going. Until then:

I am out of here.

--
imotgm
"Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

AlphaKernel

Apr 5, 2006, 10:04:48 AM4/5/06
Well if you want a small distro with Gnome or KDE then it's probably
goign to take a whole CD's worth of space. One I like is Ubuntu. If you
want KDE they have Kubuntu.
http://www.ubuntu.com/

If your need to small out wieghs your need for Gnome or KDE them Damn
Small Linux is under 50MB and runs with Fluxbox as the Window Manager.
It also has a host of usefull program preinstalled so you can surf the
net.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

--
Mike
http://www.xpertdns.com

Mark South

Apr 5, 2006, 10:59:26 AM4/5/06
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:39:22 -0700, zxcvbnm2bg wrote:

> Hi! What is the smallest Linux for a newbie to surf internet and use
> GNOME or KDE only? With thanks.

Almost certainly Slax. Has KDE and OpenOffice in 184 Mb download.

http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php
--
mark south; echo znexfb...@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
"I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic

Tris Orendorff

Apr 9, 2006, 9:53:21 PM4/9/06
"zxcvbnm2bg" <aro...@ci.umsmed.edu> burped up warm pablum in

> Hi! What is the smallest Linux for a newbie to surf internet and use
> GNOME or KDE only? With thanks.

They say you can fit 13 copies of Angel Linux on the hed of a pin. Is that
small enough for you?