Net-2 Patches are GREAT

Billy L. Williams Jr.

Sep 22, 1993, 6:20:48 PM9/22/93
Hello Fellow net-users,

I would just like to remark that the net-2 patches found on sunsite under
/pub/Linux/system/Network/net2-debugged-tcp.tar.z really work wonders for
me. My system (pl 12, 13 alpha, and 13) really wasn't stable at all under
any kind of net load, but the new patches really help my system stay up
under normal usage. Take a look:

[1] % uptime

and I've been hitting the net fairly hard trying to crash the machine
(it didn't crash 17:47 ago either, just rebooted after applying patches).
This would have been unthinkable without these patches--a simple repition
of "tcpspray" commands would eventually bring it down (after approx.
100 or so such commands in a row).

Oh, my hardware: 386-40, 20 meg ram (but with kernel 16 meg limit due to
the ethernet card drivers), Boca AT1500 compatible card, nothing else
special.

Thank you, Swansea University, for making my net stable!

By the way, can anybody direct me to the newest telnetd and rlogind? I
realize that I should get them for pl 13, but I have been unable to find
any kind of new sources for them....

Billy L. Williams, Jr.
--
Billy L. Williams, Jr. e-mail: will...@vierzk.bates.scarolina.edu
University of South Carolina Master of International Business Candidate

John Paul Morrison

Sep 23, 1993, 3:32:58 PM9/23/93
In article <27qj40$c...@bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu>,
Billy L. Williams Jr. <will...@vierzk.bates.scarolina.edu> wrote:
:Hello Fellow net-users,

:
:I would just like to remark that the net-2 patches found on sunsite under
:/pub/Linux/system/Network/net2-debugged-tcp.tar.z really work wonders for
:me. My system (pl 12, 13 alpha, and 13) really wasn't stable at all under
:any kind of net load, but the new patches really help my system stay up
:under normal usage. Take a look:

OK, what's the secret? I can get pl13 with net-2e4 running, although
it isnt very stable. I'm about to give up on net-2e, so I downloaded
the newest pl13 source and followed the net2-debugged instructions. The
instructions tell you to move your inet directory, then unpack the new
code. No Makefile or CONFIG is included with net2-debugged, so I
assume you are supposed to copy the old ones (from inet.old!).

After compiled and booting, the new net2 stuff won't even detect my ethercard.
:
:[1] % uptime

: 6:14pm up 17:47, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.02
:
[...]
:--
: Billy L. Williams, Jr. e-mail: will...@vierzk.bates.scarolina.edu
: University of South Carolina Master of International Business Candidate
: Try Linux--it will be the last OS you ever install............Go Cocks!
: ..................finger me for pgp key and more info..................

John Paul Morrison |
University of British Columbia, Canada | Hey hey!! Ho ho!!
Electrical Engineering | Tax & spend liberals
jmor...@rflab.ee.ubc.ca VE7JPM | have got to go!!
________________________________________|__________________________________

Alan Cox

Sep 24, 1993, 5:50:34 AM9/24/93
In article <27stla$8...@iskut.ucs.ubc.ca> jmor...@rflab.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) writes:
>In article <27qj40$c...@bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu>,
>Billy L. Williams Jr. <will...@vierzk.bates.scarolina.edu> wrote:
>:Hello Fellow net-users,
>:
>:I would just like to remark that the net-2 patches found on sunsite under
>:/pub/Linux/system/Network/net2-debugged-tcp.tar.z really work wonders for
>:me. My system (pl 12, 13 alpha, and 13) really wasn't stable at all under
>:any kind of net load, but the new patches really help my system stay up
>:under normal usage. Take a look:
>
>OK, what's the secret? I can get pl13 with net-2e4 running, although
>it isnt very stable. I'm about to give up on net-2e, so I downloaded
>the newest pl13 source and followed the net2-debugged instructions. The
>instructions tell you to move your inet directory, then unpack the new
>code. No Makefile or CONFIG is included with net2-debugged, so I
>assume you are supposed to copy the old ones (from inet.old!).

Ok so everyone knows I messed up slightly on the instructions. Keep the old
CONFIG and Makefile. Net2Debugged is really a short term thing. All the
magic goodies from it should percolate into the real NET-2E as it comes along
(I've been emailing things to FvK as I go). Net2Debugged still isn't a 100%
reliable trip to paradise however. I've got two fixes I've found since the
release.

>After compiled and booting, the new net2 stuff won't even detect my ethercard.

Sounds like a configuration error. The new net2 doesn't alter the ethernet
detection at all. Please email me if you have any problems. If it is a bug in
net-2debugged I want to track it down, if not then I don't mind helping anyway.

>:
>:[1] % uptime
>: 6:14pm up 17:47, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.02
>:
>:and I've been hitting the net fairly hard trying to crash the machine
>:(it didn't crash 17:47 ago either, just rebooted after applying patches).
>:This would have been unthinkable without these patches--a simple repition
>:of "tcpspray" commands would eventually bring it down (after approx.
>:100 or so such commands in a row).
>:
>:Oh, my hardware: 386-40, 20 meg ram (but with kernel 16 meg limit due to
>:the ethernet card drivers), Boca AT1500 compatible card, nothing else
>:special.

I'm glad to hear a report that it works with an AT1500 type card. That is
one I haven't got access to test it on.

>:
>:Thank you, Swansea University, for making my net stable!
>:
>:By the way, can anybody direct me to the newest telnetd and rlogind? I
>:realize that I should get them for pl 13, but I have been unable to find
>:any kind of new sources for them....

They are on athos.rutgers.edu in /pub/linux. The've improved things here
but not 100%. I know Fred van Kempen has improved the NET-2 code in NET-2E
to remove some complicated problems with ACK packets not being sent in
certain cases (causing odd lockups of links) so I deduce these are still
in NET-2D

Alan Cox
(internet) iii...@pyr.swan.ac.uk // GW4PTS@GB7SWN (packet)

Jan Wielemaker

Sep 24, 1993, 8:02:28 AM9/24/93
jmor...@rflab.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) writes:

>OK, what's the secret? I can get pl13 with net-2e4 running, although
>it isnt very stable. I'm about to give up on net-2e, so I downloaded
>the newest pl13 source and followed the net2-debugged instructions. The
>instructions tell you to move your inet directory, then unpack the new
>code. No Makefile or CONFIG is included with net2-debugged, so I
>assume you are supposed to copy the old ones (from inet.old!).

>After compiled and booting, the new net2 stuff won't even detect my ethercard.

Tried exactly the same. I've got no network at home, but we're trying to
get the network stuff going at the University. Even using the loopback
net, just `rlogin myself' followed by logout crashed the system without
any message!? At least that works on plain pl13. Now I trust that the
inet-D package is debugged, but how does one get it *properly* linked
to the kernel?

The first thing I want are *reliable* remote running X11 applications.
The second thing I want is nfs. NIS would be the greatest!

Thanks --- Jan

Alan Cox

Sep 24, 1993, 1:35:47 PM9/24/93
In article <CDuxG...@swi.psy.uva.nl> j...@swi.psy.uva.nl (Jan Wielemaker) writes:
>jmor...@rflab.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) writes:
>>the newest pl13 source and followed the net2-debugged instructions. The
>>instructions tell you to move your inet directory, then unpack the new
>>code. No Makefile or CONFIG is included with net2-debugged, so I
>>assume you are supposed to copy the old ones (from inet.old!).
I forgot to mention this. The new release when it comes out will have
that corrected (and a few other oddments).

>Tried exactly the same. I've got no network at home, but we're trying to
>get the network stuff going at the University. Even using the loopback
>net, just `rlogin myself' followed by logout crashed the system without
>any message!? At least that works on plain pl13. Now I trust that the
>inet-D package is debugged, but how does one get it *properly* linked
>to the kernel?
Nope you've found a bug. It took me 4 machines and about 40 rlogin
attempts to duplicate it, but on some systems if you rlogin to localhost
and the rlogin immediately screws up (as the rlogind/rlogin client pair
of old tended too) you on odd occasion get a crash. This sort of thing
illustrates how hard network debugging is, and why the real all new
networking is taking so long. [Someone else asked how does NET2debugged
fit in with the new networking. The answer is every relevant bug fix
I've made has been fed back to the new networking people and most
accepted and added. In time Net2debugged will no longer be neccessary
and for once not being needed will make me happy!

>The first thing I want are *reliable* remote running X11 applications.
Try net2debugged on a real net. I don't release it until its had 3 days
on a real machine doing real work on a busy net (40K/second broadcast
packets + all the normal stuff). I've added local rlogin to my test
list for the future and started looking at it except for that it
does seem pretty much ok from reports so far apart from one other
extra printk that crept in (udp.c udp_rcv kill the printk about
Packet received for unknown socket). I've been using net2debugged
heavily for X and its been quite good - I even test mpeg_play to a remote
host as standard.

>The second thing I want is nfs. NIS would be the greatest!
NFS has been solid (but none too quick) since 0.99.11 (I think) 0.99.10
certainly had a memory corrupting bug. Over slip you need to turn on
udp checksums and unless you have net2debugged set the slip mtu to about
1200 before not after you use dip to connect (goes for NET2E4 also)
> Thanks --- Jan
Thanks for finding a bug. I know where most of this evening will be going
now 8-).

Alan

iii...@pyr.swan.ac.uk

Billy L. Williams Jr.

Sep 24, 1993, 3:19:12 PM9/24/93
Jan Wielemaker <j...@swi.psy.uva.nl> wrote:

>any message!? At least that works on plain pl13. Now I trust that the
>inet-D package is debugged, but how does one get it *properly* linked
>to the kernel?

As per the README file, simply move your inet directory to inetd.old,
then untar the new net distribution. The only oversight in the docs is
that you'll have to copy the old Makefile and CONFIG files from the
stock pl13 sources (make sure to change the net/inet/CONFIG and
then "make config" in the top-level linux source directory as you would
with any normal kernel).

Have you tried this, and if so, how does it compile differently than the
stock pl13 sources [are any files not getting compiled w/the new sources]?

d...@archimedes.lance.colostate.edu

Sep 28, 1993, 1:30:12 PM9/28/93

Whats the deal? I've install MCC pl10+ and XFee86-1.3. I have a cheapo
NE200 clone card (Allied Telesis). Within 20 minutes of installing the
base package and tcp/ip I was ftp'ing the X stuff. Within an hour of
installing X I was displaying remote X stuff with no problem (xrn, xmh, netrek ;)

I have no problems - none! Except that the pl10+ memory management is kind
of sophomoric, but it works if I dont try to display a 2000x2000x256 jpeg.

I ftp, telnet and display remote X all the time - and I've only crashed once, due
to the memory management. After reading messages like the above I'm in no big
hurry to update.

Dan Doner
College of Engineering
Colorado State University