Startup problem with suse+winxp

1 view

Sam

Nov 18, 2004, 7:37:10 AM11/18/04
Hi!
First I installed windows xp in one partition of my harddisk, and then suse
linux in another. Grub worked very well(in the partition of the linux rather
than in mbr). But I reinstalled winxp later so I couldn't get into my linux.
Then I actived the partition of the linux. I thought it could work but
actually it couldn't. Grub gave me a prompt and expected my commands (such
as makeactive, kernel, boot etc.) but I don't know what they mean. Anyone
can help? Many thanks!
Best Regards.

mjt

Nov 18, 2004, 8:06:20 AM11/18/04
Sam wrote:

> But I reinstalled winxp later so I couldn't get into my linux.
> Then I actived the partition of the linux. I thought it could work but
> actually it couldn't.

... use CD#1 for suse and run the
'boot installed system' facility
A general leading the State Department resembles
a dragon commanding ducks. - New York Times, Jan. 20, 1981

Douglas Mayne

Nov 18, 2004, 11:28:20 AM11/18/04

Dual booting has been documented extensively. There's an entire howto:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html

Grub's manual is here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html

Some key commands are referenced below, in spoonfed fashion. You should be careful when
making changes to the MBR or partition boot code because blindly typing commands can
hose your system. The examples may not be appropriate for your system!

root: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/root.html#root
Example: root (hd0,0)

This tells grub where it should look for files (not the linux kernel's root).

rootnoverify: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/rootnoverify.html#rootnoverify
Example: rootnoverify (hd0,0)

This is for booting systems which don't adhere to grub's philosophy (i.e. Windows).

makeactive: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/makeactive.html#makeactive
Example: makeactive

chainloader: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/chainloader.html#chainloader
Example: chainloader +1

boot: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/boot.html#boot
Example: boot

Linux and other *nix specific:

kernel: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/kernel.html#kernel
Example: kernel /boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.27 ro root=/dev/hda1

initrd: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/initrd.html#initrd
Example: initrd /boot/initrd

setup: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/setup.html#setup
Example 1: setup (hd0,0)
Example 2: setup (hd0)

--
General: Where the hell have you been, soldier?
John: Training, sir. Plattoon: TRAINING, SIR!